Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Round three!

Dee-O-Gee
July 20th, 2009, 09:19 PM
They just keep a coming!

Hydrangea--I use one dose of Miracid every Spring on them and this is their display color

Tall Garden Phlox--great discussions with CearaQC on her lily thread about phlox!

Pink Parfait tall garden phlox with a raspberry patch growing behind! :)

Dee-O-Gee
July 20th, 2009, 09:26 PM
More hydrangea's

Shasta Daisies in full bloom with Euonymus in background.

Grandiflora view immediately looking over my left shoulder sitting on our back step. Much better view than watching Gryphon go pee! :D

CearaQC
July 20th, 2009, 09:41 PM
:eek: OMG I'm in love with that Hydrangea! Must say I've not seen such a specimen in a long long time. Nature's wonderful soil pH tester. hahaha

And the Shasta Daisies and the Phlox!

*drool*

Dee-O-Gee
July 20th, 2009, 09:47 PM
My neighbor when he was alive, (rest his sole) made me a new plant from a cutting from his hydrangea. Not quite sure how old their bushes are but we've been in our house for over 16 years! :eek:

They really are so big and fluffy looking! I have them in their own special spot specifically for the high PH :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
July 20th, 2009, 10:11 PM
The hydrangeas are absolutely gorgeous! :flirt: Love the Pink Parfait phlox and the roses, too! :cloud9:

pbpatti
July 20th, 2009, 10:33 PM
All I can say is WOW, they are stunning, the blooms are so big and healthy. What a great job you have done in keeping them so healthy. Thanks for sharing your garden.

Chris21711
July 22nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
Beautiful KLM...it's amazing how far advanced your gardens are compared to just a little ways north.

My Phlox are just starting to bloom, with the wet cool weather we have had, mildew is major this year :sad:

14+kitties
July 22nd, 2009, 07:57 PM
Beautiful!! :cloud9:
Chris - mildew is a problem here too. It's just way too wet. :sad:

Dee-O-Gee
July 22nd, 2009, 09:17 PM
The tall pink phlox are doing very well however; my tall white ones have experienced a bad bout of powdery mildew. :sad:

It's weird cause they're only about 10 feet apart from each other. :shrug:

Little Missy here is gonna have to check out her backyard gardening book to find a home remedy solution. :thumbs up

CearaQC
July 22nd, 2009, 09:45 PM
Little Missy here is gonna have to check out her backyard gardening book to find a home remedy solution. :thumbs up

The lady I got some of my lily bulbs from praises the Bordeaux mixture for keeping fungus/mildew away. This is the recipe from her site

BORDEAUX MIX

* 3 1/3 tablespoons copper sulfate
* 10 tablespoons hydrated lime
* 1 gallon water

Dissolve copper sulfate in plastic or glass container with 1/2 the water thoroughly, leave it sit and come back later if you have to, it MUST be dissolved. In a separate plastic container mix the lime powder very well with the rest of the water. Slowly pour the lime mixture into the copper mix, stir thoroughly before use. Spray with a plastic sprayer, metal cannot be used with copper. Be sure to shake or stir up the mix as you spray so particles stay suspended in the water and do not settle.

OR

COPPER SPRAY

In late Fall or early Spring before new growth begins, spray a solution (2 oz to 1 gallon water) of Copper Sulfate on the ground and all surfaces thoroughly. This should be used as a preventative measure.

Dee-O-Gee
July 22nd, 2009, 09:52 PM
Hey I think I have some copper gardening stuff in my garage. :lightbulb: Now I have to check. :frustrated:

Would dolomite lime work instead? I have this but I don't have any hydrated. :shrug:

CearaQC
July 22nd, 2009, 10:02 PM
I think it's the hydrated lime / calcium hydroxide that you need. They sell it in the canning/pickle supply area at the stores labeled "pickling lime."