July 20th, 2009, 09:15 PM
My lilies have finally started to bloom. Yeahhhhh

These are Orange Pixie.

The hosta in the middle is Inniswood.

Debbie

Dee-O-Gee
July 20th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Oooohhh I love the hosta! :lovestruck:

Are the Orange Pixie's a small compact plant? They have striking color! :)

CearaQC
July 20th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Pixies are usually about 15-20 inches tall but behave like all other bulb lilies. Sorry to butt in there. :laughing:

Love that hosta!

hazelrunpack
July 20th, 2009, 09:59 PM
You really do have a way with hostas, TQ! I wish mine looked half as happy as yours do. :D

rainbow
July 21st, 2009, 02:40 AM
Me too .....mine don't look near as healthy as yours do and have these great big humungous leaves with weedy looking flowers growing out of them. :o

Tundra_Queen
July 23rd, 2009, 06:43 AM
Oooohhh I love the hosta! :lovestruck:

Are the Orange Pixie's a small compact plant? They have striking color! :)

Yes, like Ceara said. Just short ones, some people call them patio lilies cause u can grow them in pots.

You really do have a way with hostas, TQ! I wish mine looked half as happy as yours do. :D

Hazel I'm sure if u moved up here beside me they would grow better. They like the cooler summers I guess and the long dormant period they get up here too! :laughing::laughing: Not many plants do well up here so I have to go with what works. :laughing:

Me too .....mine don't look near as healthy as yours do and have these great big humungous leaves with weedy looking flowers growing out of them. :o

weedy flowers? U mean the hostas flowers? U can cut those off if u want to. All hostas get flowers. U can get hostas that the flowers smell. I have a few of those. they smell like gardenias I believe. When mine start blooming I cut them and bring them into the house.

How often are u watering your hostas? Do u mulch them to help retain the water and keep the soil cooler? That might help them. The hotter u have it, depending on your exposure, the more water they will need. I also use Safer slug bait too which really helps. It is safe and will not hurt wild life if they eat it. I also use soaker hoses under the mulch.

The hostas u have might be the type that normally have big leaves, or u have them planted in too deep of shade. The deeper the shade the less leaves but bigger the leaves grow to try and catch more light.

In this pic I'm posting the big hosta up against my house, Sagae, the leaves are quite big, almost double width of my fist. The one beside it, Paul's Glory, it's leaves are even wider, about 3 times the width of my fist at the widest part. That garden gets full morning light from 6 a.m. until noon. But I'm in zone 2 so the sun isn't as strong as the rest of u would have.

Debbie