Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cheap slug killer

CearaQC
July 20th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I found this recipe on the net and it actually works! It caught more slugs the second night than the first night though.

I use empty, clean containers that formerly held ricotta cheese from the grocery store. Works perfect. :D

1/4 tsp bread baking yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 cup water

I mixed water that was slightly warm but not too hot, so as to not kill the yeast. Then the sugar was dissolved, and finally the yeast added. Give a quick stir.

Dig a hole in garden, put container in hole. Put dirt back around the container so the top is just above soil level. Take a piece of cardboard and fold it in half so it makes a kind of "roof" for the container. This keeps out rain and makes the slugs think it's a nice cozy place to chill out during the day.

clm
July 20th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Two of the greatest slug killers are garter snakes and toads. Provide them places to live in in your garden and they'll eat their fill of the nasty bugs. I haven't had much a problem with slugs for quite a few years now thank goodness.

Cindy

Dee-O-Gee
July 20th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Although I don't have slugs...I would much prefer your recipe then snakes! :eek: sorry clm

CearaQC
July 20th, 2009, 07:18 PM
We live out in the country with approx 100 acres of land, so there's lots of homes for critters. But no critters can seem to keep down the slug population, so I supply a place where slugs can go for a swim. :D

hazelrunpack
July 20th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I used to use beer...but then our snake and toad populations increased enough so I didn't have to waste good alcoholic beverages like that any more! :D If the slugs ever start getting pesty again, though, now I have a different recipe to try :thumbs up

So what do you do with them in the morning? Just bury them somewhere? :o

CearaQC
July 20th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I used to use beer...but then our snake and toad populations increased enough so I didn't have to waste good alcoholic beverages like that any more! :D If the slugs ever start getting pesty again, though, now I have a different recipe to try :thumbs up

So what do you do with them in the morning? Just bury them somewhere? :o

Errr... ummmm, I left it out there for two days. It needs changing because it's getting rather crowded in there. You'd think they would notice their relatives floating in it. But nope! :laughing:

hazelrunpack
July 20th, 2009, 09:51 PM
:laughing: I've noticed that slugs aren't very observant! :laugh:

Oh, well. :o

:rip: little slugs

growler~GateKeeper
July 21st, 2009, 12:57 AM
My mum sprinkles table salt on them :rip: slug

CearaQC
July 21st, 2009, 08:55 AM
My mum sprinkles table salt on them :rip: slug

She sounds industrious and determined for sure. :laughing:

I like the "slug motel" method so far.

Saw a video a few weeks ago called "River Cottage" and they did something for fun. They caught slugs and cooked them to try as people food! :yuck: They were soaked in salt water to remove the slime and boiled. Some were "gutted" and put on skewers to BBQ and the rest was put into a kind of a soup. All tasters except one guy said :yuck:

:laughing::laughing:

hazelrunpack
July 21st, 2009, 11:21 AM
:eek: Ugh! :eeew:

Think I'll skip breakfast this mornin'... :o

:laughing:

lia12
July 21st, 2009, 01:38 PM
OMG.....I think I'll try the recipe to rid us of them before trying them as a snack food...yuck...