Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Raw Fishy, yummy

pbpatti
July 19th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I gave Sasha her first raw fish this weekend, one of the "guys" at Buzzard caught a 17" and when he tried to release it it would not swim away, lucky Sasha had a treat.

It was de-headed and de-tailed and gutted and boned, I did not want to try her with the bones in and good thing too, she wolfed it down in no time. She did not have any vomiting and her poops today are still normal. I gave her another piece for lunch and still everything looks good.

I am concerned though that she may get worms is this possible? Should I get some worm medication? Thanks for any comments and help. pbp

luckypenny
July 19th, 2009, 11:28 PM
What? No pictures :frustrated:? I need a Sasha fix :cloud9:.

We feed our guys raw fish all the time and have never had problems with parasites. Do fish even get worms :confused:? *Runs off to google*

pbpatti
July 19th, 2009, 11:36 PM
What? No pictures :frustrated:? I need a Sasha fix :cloud9:.

too lazy to download them today..

We feed our guys raw fish all the time and have never had problems with parasites. Do fish even get worms :confused:? *Runs off to google*did you find anything?

luckypenny
July 19th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Are you gonna post any pictures?

:p

Still looking.

pbpatti
July 19th, 2009, 11:39 PM
since I am still up maybeee just for you, want some fish eating ones:D

luckypenny
July 19th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Any ones :D. Gotta be quick though, dh is nagging "are you going to bed? you're gonna be sorry in the morning. you still on that thing??"

:D

luckypenny
July 19th, 2009, 11:49 PM
ok, so far found this on Salmon Poisoning Disease:

http://blogs.dogster.com/good-dog/toxic-food-and-substances-raw-fish/2009/07/03/

this article is more in depth:

http://nsgl.gso.uri.edu/cuimr/cuimrg82001.pdf

Prevention consists of cooking or deep freezing for two weeks. We normally feed previously frozen fish although Penny has eaten fresh caught in the past with no ill effects. I might reconsider letting her eat fresh next time :shrug:.

pbpatti
July 19th, 2009, 11:50 PM
you might want to go to bed sometimes it takes me awhile:rolleyes::loser:at trying to upload these things.

rainbow
July 19th, 2009, 11:51 PM
As far as I know it is only west coast salmon (and the ones that go up the rivers to spawn) that have a parasite than can be fatal if fed raw.

I'd love to see the pics of Sasha and the fish too. :D

rainbow
July 19th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Here's some info .....

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/salmon.aspx

rainbow
July 19th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Oooops, didn't see that LP had already found some info for you. :o

pbpatti
July 19th, 2009, 11:53 PM
looks like this will take awhile I can't even get them to download off of the memory card:loser: look tomorrow.

luckypenny
July 19th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I'm so glad you brought this up Patti...I just realized that I have fed our guys fresh salmon occasionally :wall:.

hazelrunpack
July 19th, 2009, 11:58 PM
:yell: We have to wait for pics?!? :eek: No way!!! :frustrated: :p

I'll bet she's in seventh heaven! Sushi!!! Yum! She has the best mom in the whole world! :dog:

rainbow
July 19th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I'm so glad you brought this up Patti...I just realized that I have fed our guys fresh salmon occasionally :wall:.

Well it couldn't have been west coast salmon.

luckypenny
July 20th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Well it couldn't have been west coast salmon.

I hope so :o. I never thought to even look into it :o. My brother picks me up some every now and then at a market near his home...I'll be sure to ask next time and freeze just in case.

pbpatti
July 20th, 2009, 12:06 AM
nope not salmon, very fresh trout though, caught in the pm and fed in the pm, I did freeze the ssecond portion first though. I will read what you got here too.

pbpatti
July 20th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Holy Crap, no salmon for this puppy, that is very scary...:eek:

rainbow
July 20th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I hope so :o. I never thought to even look into it :o. My brother picks me up some every now and then at a market near his home...I'll be sure to ask next time and freeze just in case.

I think it has to be frozen to below -20C too.

Holy Crap, no salmon for this puppy, that is very scary...:eek:

It's only west coast salmon or anadromous fish (fish that swim upstream to breed) that are the ones with the parasite.

MadeleineI
July 20th, 2009, 01:42 AM
It's best to leave the guts, head and tail intact, so that your cat eats it just as she would if she had caught it herself - and cats can fish.
Raw foods digests easily and quickly and so worms cannot proliferate. Worms are only a problem with cooked food.
Same goes for fleas. Raw food alters the pH of the skin to make it unappetising for fleas. Cooked food does the opposite.

rainbow
July 20th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Raw foods digests easily and quickly and so worms cannot proliferate. Worms are only a problem with cooked food.

RAW salmon and other anadromous fish (fish that swim upstream to breed) from the west coast of North America should NOT be fed to dogs .....

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/salmon.aspx