Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs being rescued from Ohio

gossoqueen
July 19th, 2009, 07:14 PM
We have been to about 7 different rescues in the past month and are finally in the process of adopting a dog. A pure bred Chocolate Lab. We aren't concerned with pedigree, he just happened to get along with our current dog the best. All of the dogs that we saw from each rescue(11 in total) were all from Ohio. We were told the same thing by every rescue. They were strays that were brought to a shelter in Ohio and were then shipped up here to be adopted. Forgive me if I sound suspicous, but why are all of these dogs from Ohio, is there a big problem with surplus dogs just in Ohio or is this just something that is said to all adopters because they don't have backgrounds on these dogs. Also if they really all from Ohio, what is the process to get these dogs up here. The dog we are adopting is great and I want to give him a home, I just want to make sure I'm not contributing to another problem with dogs possibly being bred for adoption. The dog is very dirty and skinny, but other than that looks like he is fairly healthy. The rescue was also asking for cash and said they would take the dog back without any problems, but they wouldn't give me my money back if I had to return him after I had my vet check him. Is this standard procedure?

rainbow
July 19th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Quite often rescues will save dogs that are literally on death's door in shelters that do not have a no-kill policy. These rescues have to work very quickly and do not have the time to check backgrounds as their priority is to save the animal from being euthanized.

Thank you for adopting a rescue dog :thumbs up :angel: and we would love to see pics of him and your current dog as soon as you are able to post some. :goodvibes:

rainbow
July 19th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I just googled Ohio rescue dogs and found this ....

http://www.ohio.com/news/49814697.html

http://www.petsmartcharities.org/rescue-waggin/aboutus.php

BenMax
July 19th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Rainbow is correct. At times rescues become overwhelmed with dogs and cats that are taken in from pounds. They sometimes do not have all the information on the dogs if found stray. The only way you will know more about the dog is if in a foster setting.

I do recall however a cross posting going out in regards to dogs in Ohio that require urgent assistance. This is not unusual.

What is unusual is cash only but then again this is the way this rescue works. Ensure you ask for a receipt.

Good luck and I am certain one thing - you are saving a life.

gossoqueen
July 21st, 2009, 12:09 PM
Things were pretty good when we met with the dog at the rescue. Both dogs got along fine. The rescue dog submitted to my when they met. The rescue dog is now at my home for 36 hours. He has been aggressive with my dog a 14 times since then. I figured there would be some adjustments as they both try to establish heirarchy. The rescue dog concerns me a little because they will be getting along fine and playing, then all of the sudden for no apparent reason he comes up and growls and will bite his face. It's not an open mouth playful growl and grabbing the jowls. It's an agressive growl and then a snap on his face. There were 2 incidents where my dog was just lying on his bed minding his own business and he came up and growled at him. I stopped it before it esculated further. He is also running in the house before my dog and then blocking the door and growling. Again, I have been correcting him on that, but he's still doing this. I have called the rescue and they told me that is normal and I have to be firmer and be the pack leader. They told me that he was in a foster home with a minature poodle and there was no aggression at all. I think something was going on because the dog has scars all over his face that look like bite marks. He also has them on his ears. I was told to put the dog on his back if he keeps acting in this way, and to keep at it for the next week. I have had to put the rescue dog on his back 6 times now. He is still growling at my dog. My dog is now afraid to move around anywhere this dog is. I called the rescue again, and they keep just telling me that it's me and I have to let them sort it out. I'm concerned about when I have to go back to work in a week and nobody will be here. I am genuinely worried that he may hurt my dog. Is this behaviour normal when introducing another dog? Is the rescue right and this is my fault? I'm really worried they won't take him back if this persists. We paid $400 for him yesterday. They told us that we wouldn't get our money back. I'm really upset, because we are not wealthy, and all we wanted to do was find a companion for our dog and save another dogs life in the process. I have to say this whole rescue journey has been exhausting. Can someone please offer some suggestions?

LavenderRott
July 21st, 2009, 06:19 PM
I think you should call the rescue back and insist they take this dog back as you can't afford to have surgery done to your dog while they "sort it out".

I worry about all of these shelter dogs leaving Ohio the way they are. My mother recently volunteered to foster a litter of lab mix pups out of Ohio. They went directly from the shelter to my mother's home (with her 5 dogs!) and the rescue didn't tell her until later. One of the puppies was lethargic on day 2 so Mom took it to the vet. It had Parvo! She was never warned about any possiblity of illness - it never occured to her (or me) that these pups had not been quaranteened before arriving at her home.

My other concern is that no temperment tests at all are being done. It is all well and good to save a life - but here you sit with an apparently dog aggressive dog and had a proper temperment test been done, this dog would probably have been placed in a home as an only pet.