Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Just a few more blooming

14+kitties
July 19th, 2009, 05:52 PM
My lilies. Only have a few this year. I have a stargazer but think my wisteria took it over. :sad:
My yellow cannas my stepson got me. I actually just planted them today.

14+kitties
July 19th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I borrowed hazel's time lapse for the Blazing Star.

14+kitties
July 19th, 2009, 05:57 PM
The pale pink coneflower is just starting to open.
This is what the seed company called a perennial salvia. The top leaves turn purple or red. I do have the red but it is just starting to turn.
And my Tamarix tree/shrub is out in full bloom.

14+kitties
July 19th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Forgot my Yucca. The bed they are in is slated for removal soon. I just don't have time to work them all and forget it's there. So when it's cooler and the skitters aren't biting so much I am going to take everything out and find homes in my other gardens. Tons of tulip, narcissus, and daffodil bulbs are hiding there.

Dee-O-Gee
July 19th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Your Yucca's are beautiful 14+! :thumbs up

I can't wait for my stargazers to come out. Maybe withing the next week or so. :shrug: I plan to be picture friendly when they do come out. :D

hazelrunpack
July 19th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Oh, wow, 14+! You have some pretty cool flowers! Love the blazing stars! And that Tamarix is lovely! I've never even heard of it before, but I love the color! How big do they get?

Tundra_Queen
July 19th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Your flowers are lovely!! I love the lilies!

Debbie

rainbow
July 20th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Your garden is gorgeous ....such beautiful flowers. :lovestruck:

chico2
July 20th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Beautiful 14+:thumbs up:thumbs up
I've see one of those trees(Tamarix)but did not know what they were,very pretty!
Would love to have one.,,
I always wanted a Yucca,love them,I think I am going to have to enlarge my BY-garden,there is so much that I want.

CearaQC
July 20th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Is the Blazing Star also known as Liatris? It's so pretty. I had one but don't know what happened to it. :shrug:

The Yucca is so pretty! Who knew it could grow and flower in Canada! :thumbs up

Never seen a salvia look like that. :eek: Very cool.

And I can't believe you already have Echinacea out. I won't see mine until mid-late August.

I think some Penstemons would look great in your garden as well.

Never seen a Tamarix. It's so fluffy and dreamy. The color reminds me of fireweed blooms.

14+kitties
July 20th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Oh, wow, 14+! You have some pretty cool flowers! Love the blazing stars! And that Tamarix is lovely! I've never even heard of it before, but I love the color! How big do they get?

I have seen Tamarix about 15 feet tall. Mine is only about 6 or 7 feet. Kinda hard to measure from my prospective. :D They are more shrubby than tree. I thought I had lost it last year. The main branch broke off and I couldn't save it. But it grew back really quickly. Will have to do more research on it.

Beautiful 14+:thumbs up:thumbs up
I've see one of those trees(Tamarix)but did not know what they were,very pretty!
Would love to have one.,,
I always wanted a Yucca,love them,I think I am going to have to enlarge my BY-garden,there is so much that I want.

When my Yucca has some offshoots I will save one or two for you chico. It's be an excuse to come back. :D

Is the Blazing Star also known as Liatris? It's so pretty. I had one but don't know what happened to it. :shrug:

The Yucca is so pretty! Who knew it could grow and flower in Canada! :thumbs up

Never seen a salvia look like that. :eek: Very cool.

And I can't believe you already have Echinacea out. I won't see mine until mid-late August.

I think some Penstemons would look great in your garden as well.

Never seen a Tamarix. It's so fluffy and dreamy. The color reminds me of fireweed blooms.

The Yucca has been around the Niagara region for quite a number of years. It can't be propagated the usual way, with the worm, so you have to wait for offshoots or cuttings. But it does very well here.
I have never seen that salvia either. I like having weird and unusual things in my garden.
My darker pink Echinacea has been out for about a month now.
I know a lot of things would look good in my gardens. But I have to get busy and clean up the stuff I have before I add more. :cloud9:
Yep, the Tamarix is neat. :thumbs up

chico2
July 20th, 2009, 03:30 PM
14+,I could find tons of excuses to come out and see you again:laughing:
I would also love to have a Russian Sage,a woman up the street has a beautiful one,maybe I can go at night and dig some of hers out:laughing:
I definetly need to enlarge my garden,wish I had your space:pray:

14+kitties
July 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM

Liatrus, Gayfeather, Spike Gayfeather, and or all of the above. It's a pretty neat plant. Takes a long time to bloom from seed - two to four years - but worth the effort. It needs to like where it's blooming or it won't come back. :sad:

14+,I could find tons of excuses to come out and see you again:laughing:
I would also love to have a Russian Sage,a woman up the street has a beautiful one,maybe I can go at night and dig some of hers out:laughing:
I definetly need to enlarge my garden,wish I had your space:pray:

My Russian Sage isn't doing well in the place I have it. I will have to move it to a different area, let it get bigger, then I can share with you. :D

chico2
July 20th, 2009, 04:31 PM
The ones I have seen here at two houses are really big and beautiful,I thought they were some kind of Lavender first,but then I smelled them.
Sage is one spice I don't like,but in a flower it smells nice.
My son who lives in Alberta is coming for an almost 3 week visit tomorrow,I am all excited,have not seen him for three years.
But he won't stay with mom and dad all this time,so maybe I can come out and meet Puce:cat:and see your pretty garden..and you of course:laughing:

14+kitties
July 20th, 2009, 04:38 PM
The ones I have seen here at two houses are really big and beautiful,I thought they were some kind of Lavender first,but then I smelled them.
Sage is one spice I don't like,but in a flower it smells nice.
My son who lives in Alberta is coming for an almost 3 week visit tomorrow,I am all excited,have not seen him for three years.
But he won't stay with mom and dad all this time,so maybe I can come out and meet Puce:cat:and see your pretty garden..and you of course:laughing:

:laughing::laughing: Gee thanks for including me in there!! :rolleyes: That sounds like a plan!!
I bet you are excited to be seeing your son again. Three weeks! Nice. :thumbs up Winston and Sylvie are planning an outing in a couple of weeks. Maybe you can make it the same day.

growler~GateKeeper
July 21st, 2009, 02:08 AM
In the 3rd pic of the 1st post....what are the little orange flowers with the yellow tips?

The last pic of the Blazing Star is so :cool:

CearaQC
July 21st, 2009, 07:47 AM
In the 3rd pic of the 1st post....what are the little orange flowers with the yellow tips?

Gallardia or Blanket Flower. Aren't they neat?

14+kitties
July 21st, 2009, 10:25 PM

Thanks Ceara. :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
July 22nd, 2009, 12:07 AM

Thanks Ceara :D

They are very :cool:, I'll have to see if I can find them here for my mum's garden.

CearaQC
July 22nd, 2009, 06:56 AM
Thanks Ceara. :thumbs up

:sorry: Hope you didn't mind. Sometimes it's hard to not say anything. Me and my big mouth. :laughing:

Thanks Ceara :D

They are very :cool:, I'll have to see if I can find them here for my mum's garden.

Well don't go and spend money! If I still have some of those kicking around outside I will save seeds for you.

Besides, getting seeds from someone that grows them in a place with a climate similar to your own is always preferable to seeds you get that was grown who-knows-where. :cool:

Chris21711
July 22nd, 2009, 05:47 PM
Looking Good 14k :thumbs up

What is "Hazel's Time Lapse" :confused:

I had a pot of Stargazer Lillies that I didn't plant last year, so Pepe buried the pot in the yard for the winter....they started out the season real good then the Stargazers and other Lillies I had buried in pots got deseased :sad:....One of the greenhouse ladies looked it up in one of her books and it matched "Mosaic Virus".......has anyone heard of it?

End of Story and hi-jack, they are all goners :yell:

CearaQC
July 22nd, 2009, 08:10 PM
Lilies can be prone to Botrytis, or Fire Blight. I've never heard of them being affected by mosaic viruses. Mosaic usually goes after squash/pumpkin/cucumber family or tomato/nightshade family. :shrug:

Botrytis doesn't always go to the lily bulb though and usually only affects the current season's growth. You might have been able to save the bulb.

clm
July 23rd, 2009, 07:19 AM
I just love yucca's but have been afraid to put them in with the dogs around. The foiliage is so sharp. The flowers they produce are stunning.

Cindy

Chris21711
July 23rd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Lilies can be prone to Botrytis, or Fire Blight. I've never heard of them being affected by mosaic viruses. Mosaic usually goes after squash/pumpkin/cucumber family or tomato/nightshade family. :shrug:

Botrytis doesn't always go to the lily bulb though and usually only affects the current season's growth. You might have been able to save the bulb.

The Greenhouse Lady looked it up while I was there Ceara, it matched to a "T".....I saved the bulbs, they are still in the pots, I'll get Pepe to bury them again this year and see what next year brings

growler~GateKeeper
July 23rd, 2009, 11:23 PM
Well don't go and spend money! If I still have some of those kicking around outside I will save seeds for you.

Besides, getting seeds from someone that grows them in a place with a climate similar to your own is always preferable to seeds you get that was grown who-knows-where. :cool:

:thankyou: Ceara that's very kind of you :D

14+kitties
July 24th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I just love yucca's but have been afraid to put them in with the dogs around. The foiliage is so sharp. The flowers they produce are stunning.

Cindy

The leaves are a bit sharp. Are you thinking they would cut their tongues on them? Do you have a dry area that the dogs don't go to very often? Yucca's are one of those wonderful plant 'em and leave 'em plants!

:thankyou: Ceara that's very kind of you :D

And if Ceara doesn't have any I do! :thumbs up