Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

RAW newbie with 2 happy dogs!

Macomom
July 19th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Hello,

I have a Dogue De Bordeaux 105lbs and a Rottie puppy 78lbs. We started our raw diet today with a fresh turkey neck, some veggies (they like them) and an egg.
Using the proportions I have calculated I have the DDB eating about 3lbs of food a day and the Rottie 2.25 lbs of food. Can anyone confirm that this sounds about right? Both of my dogs are lean and muscular now, so I am not looking to have them specifically gain or lose at this point. I realize it is subjective and each dog is a bit different, so I will observe. It just seems like too much food to me. The Rottie in particular took a long time to eat her turkey neck, so I am wondering if the piece I gave her was too much.
Additionally from the reading I did, several sources mentioned variety of protein. I just happen to have a good source for the turkey, so could I keep the dogs on it for a week or so, and then start to experiment. I am curious to know how long it will take them in the morning to eat their food. We are on a bit of a deadline in the mornings.
Can anyone recommend some good books? I am finding some conflicting information and just want to be confident that I am taking great care of my babies.
Thanks so much. I look forward to reading your answers and getting to know this community.
Cheers- Joanne

MadeleineI
July 20th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Yes, the amount is more than they need. I find a good guide is the bone factor. Mine have a bone for one meal and meat, veggies and supplements as the other. If they bury the bone, rather than go for it enthusiastically, you are probably giving them too much meat. Don't forget, the meat is all goodness, whereas most pet food is low grade, so you need much less real food.
I made loads of mistakes when I first started, so wrote an ebook to help others.

No self promotion please

rainbow
July 20th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Did you get permission from Marko or one of the mods to self promote your book?

http://www.pets.ca/forum/announcement.php?f=9&a=12 .....

[QUOTE]Unless specifically approved by an Admin, promoting your own, or any other another business, website or cause either directly or indirectly is not permitted.

growler~GateKeeper
July 20th, 2009, 02:59 AM
It is always a good idea when first starting raw to stick with one protein for 10 days to two weeks to ensure your dog can tolerate a raw diet, meaning it is easier on their digestive system while they process this new type of food. After this initial period you can add in one new protein per week to allow them to adjust to changes and if there is a protein their body can't handle this makes it easier to know which one to eliminate.

from In The Raw (http://www.intherawpetfood.com/index.html) seminar handout
How much do I feed my pet?

The general rule of thumb is to feed lb/225 gr. (1 cup) for every 25 lbs. of bodyweight. Begin with this amount and adjust based on age, energy and exercise levels. The measurements are based on total daily food intake. This includes mixed meat, veggie and meal bones.

NOTE: If your pet leaves food behind, you may be overfeeding. Measure what is left and that amount can be eliminated from the daily intake. If your pet is licking the bowl clean and appears still hungry, increase the daily portion by lb. over a few days and see if that satiates your friend (some breeds are notorious for overeating- DO NOT BE FOOLED!).

What proportions of bone to meat are you currently feeding?

Most raw feeders use a rough ratio of 10-15% bone, 5-10% organs, and the rest muscle meat.

Macomom
July 20th, 2009, 07:07 AM
[/QUOTE]What proportions of bone to meat are you currently feeding?

Most raw feeders use a rough ratio of 10-15% bone, 5-10% organs, and the rest muscle meat.[/QUOTE]

I have only given them two meals, as I mentioned I am a Newbie. I will be going to some local butchers today to get some organ meat, and I am thawing out some ground turkey as well. This will keep them in the same protein source for a week/10 days.
Using the suggestions above, I can lessen the serving sizes a bit. This seems a bit more do-able. I was envisioning my dogs growing and getting to the point of eating half a deer :) (Minor exaggeration of course).

This morning I put the Rottie in her kennel to eat. The DDB thinks this raw diet is the best thing to ever happen to him, and he will gladly eat his share and hers too. She seems to take awhile to methodically chew through her meal, while he just powers through his.

They are both dancing at meal times- they are so excited- it is quite funny to watch!
Thanks for your help. I will keep you posted with my successes/failures.
Cheers- Joanne