Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking to adopt a pitbull in Montreal

Amarain
July 19th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Hi there. I am the proud owner of a wonderful rescued female pitbull that is doing fantastic, and am looking to complete the family with a male, but somehow, I have no luck finding an available rescue in Montreal or from the area. Any suggestions?

diandpat
July 19th, 2009, 02:36 PM
The SPCA on Jean Talon always has beautiful dogs, many pitties, that you would be saving a life if you adopted. They are on petfinder and have a group on Facebook. Best thing is your new addition will be fully vaccinated and neutered :thumbs up

Good luck and keep us posted :fingerscr

BenMax
July 19th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I am with a rescue group and there are 3 rescues that take in pitties and pittie X. Google Quebec rescues or go onto petfinder. There are many. Also, I go to the MSPCA daily and most of the dogs in adoption or pre-adoption are pitties. You will find your new addition quickly.

Good luck in your search.

rainbow
July 19th, 2009, 04:10 PM
First of all, welcome to the pets.ca forum. :thumbs up

I sounds like you shouldn't have any problem finding a playmate for your girl and we would love to see pics of them so please come back to keep us updated. :goodvibes:

Rottielover
July 19th, 2009, 04:20 PM
There are no limitations of choices of pits, and pit mixes for adoption in montreal.
Good luck in your search, and thank you for rescuing.

babyrocky1
July 26th, 2009, 05:59 PM
You can always adopt one of the "pit bulls" from Ontario into Quebec. You can contact Bullies in Need, Advocates for the Underdog, or Adorabull, all rescues that often have fosters needing to leave the province.

Amarain
July 26th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and encouragments. I have asked Sophies', someone at the SPCA in Montreal and stay on the lookout through petfinder. I also visited the SPCA today but was unsuccessful! I guess I now have to wait - It is the hardest thing to do, specially since if I drove, I would just jump in a car and go pick one up in the States... maybe this is good news that I cannot find one in Montreal, maybe people treat them better here than in the States...

Frenchy
July 26th, 2009, 06:04 PM
maybe this is good news that I cannot find one in Montreal,

:confused:

I just did a quick search on petfinder and there's 16 pitbulls up for adoption in the Montreal area. Probably more since they are not all listed.

brianna079
August 7th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I work at the SPCA Laurentides-Labelle, about 1 hour north of Montreal. We do not have any pitts right now, but you are welcome to fill out an adoption application form, and specify what you are looking for. if we get a dog that matches your requests, we then give you a call to come meet the dog and see if you like him/her.

heres the web-site, and i believe that there is an application you can print out off the site to fill out.

www.spcall.ca

good luck!

BenMax
August 7th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I may have one coming in to Montreal from Ontario. If this interests you, please let me know.

Amarain
August 11th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Thank you Brianna and Benmax, I'm interested!

luckypenny
August 11th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I also visited the SPCA today but was unsuccessful!

In what way were you unsuccessful?

BenMax
August 11th, 2009, 12:49 PM
There are sooooooo many pitties in Montreal. Too many at the moment because they are being sent in from Ontario.

Can you specify exactly what your criteria is? Instead of one in Ontario as I stated- would you consider perhaps talking to my contact at the MSPCA and they will help you?

BMDLuver
August 11th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Out of curiosity..... is your present dog sterilised?

rainbow
August 11th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Out of curiosity..... is your present dog sterilised?

Excellent question, BMDLuver :thumbs up ....we all seem to have overlooked that. :o

Amarain
August 11th, 2009, 03:01 PM
My female is spayed - she comes from a shelter in Tennessee:). She's about 1 1/2 years old. I'm looking for a neutered male that will be of an age to play with Danka, dog-friendly, cat-friendly and that does not have anxiety separation.

The first time I went to the SPCA for a pitbull, I was told that they do not test the dogs with cats there and that I had to bring my own cat in to test the dog with - I don't drive and ruled-out carrying my 25-pound cat in a cage for a 45-minute drive in the metro to submit it to a stress he does not need. After talking to a director there, they agreed to let me know when a suitable dog would come in, and test is with cats there. They called me in for a twelve-year old dog and after asking questions (food, vet, etc.) that they did not have the answers to, I was told that the family would not cooperate as they were told he had already been euthanized. I was lied to and so was this family.

I do find it difficult to rescue a dog here and if I drove, I would just have crossed the border to adopt one there, they go out of their way to help find the right match. If anyone is interested in driving me and Danka to Mass., Vermont, New York State or New Hamphire, let me know! I'll pay.

BenMax
August 11th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Did you try SPCA Monteregie? How about some rescues that have pitties? Where they able to provide you with any answers to your questions?

Also try SPCA of Western Quebec.

Golden Girls
August 12th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Welcome Amarain, thank you for rescuing Danka :thumbs up we love pictures :o

Scanned some rescue sites, here's a few male PTB's looking for homes

SPCA Monteregie Yoreck PBT
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13647647

Sophies' Dog Adoption Gin PBT (1 yr old red nose & (think recent Chuck PBT (7 mths)
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13082901
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14228655

SPCA of Western-Quebec Lenny PBT x Lab M (6-7 yrs)
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13572581

:goodvibes:

Amarain
August 12th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Hi to all of you - Great news! First about Max, the 12-year old pit - the SPCA called his family and they came to get him back!!! Isn't that great? and second great news! They gave me a dog to foster! Cognac is a 1 1/2 year old PB and so far he is doing absolutely great with Danka and Danka is thrilled like you wouldn't believe. However, work needs to be done with the cat and him... we'll take it one day at a time! If they ever make friends, then I could adopt him!

Love4himies
August 12th, 2009, 01:09 PM
That is great news, and fostering is a great way to find out if the dog is a good match.

Of course we now start demanding pics :cool: :laughing:

allfurlove
August 12th, 2009, 03:14 PM
How exciting! I knew you would find something soon. Pictures please!!! :D

babymomma
August 15th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Thats is great news!

And A little off topic but i was curious.

Would any rescues adopt out a pittie from ontario to NFLD?

Amarain
August 17th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I had to return Cognac to the SPCA yesterday... I could not save him without risking my cat's life... This dog does not deserve to die, he is housetrained, obedience trained, very calm and well-behaved, was a gentleman to my female pitbull, but he is male dog agressive and way too interested in cats (he was teased with "go get the cat"... and he will). He's a year and a half and gorgeous - I don't have url images but posted on another forum with a picture:
http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=39600

BenMax
August 17th, 2009, 12:42 PM
In the future ask them to cat test before you take in any dog. It is done in a controlled environment.

I have to admit that I am very disappointed that they let you take him when you notified them that you had a cat. This to me is unacceptable and irresponsible. Don't take in any animal that could result in something horrific happening.

Sorry that you are now burdeoned with having to give him up and not knowing his fate. This to me is not right as it plays on people's emotions.

You gave it a try and I commend you on that. Please, in the future INSIST on a full evaluation and cat testing.

Amarain
August 17th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Thank you BenMax, I so agree with you... They cat tested the dog at my place, with my own cat, nose to nose, cat slapped him, he got mad and I could not get him less intense with this cat after... You know, I don't want to give up on the SPCA but it's not easy to get right information! I will definitely not take a dog that will have not been tested with cats again, so that I can do a proper dog-cat introduction. It's one thing to cat-test a dog and another one to cat-introduce a dog... So I am back to searching again!

Amarain
August 17th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Hi babymomma, my experience so far is that different shelters have different policies on out of state\province\country adoptions. Some request home visitations and sometimes they know someone in your area that will do it for them. I go one by one, sometimes they accept, sometimes not, but if you already have a dog, they would normally request that the dogs meet first, to make sure about the chemistry. I was extremely lucky in adopting Danka from Miss Linda's in Tennessee as she went out of her way to help me find my dog, answered all my questions, the foster family too, and transported her from Tennessee to near Boston. I really, really liked them and recommend them to you.

BenMax
August 17th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Ok - so someone went to your house to test. That's a good thing, but they should provide you also with tips on how to make this successful and how to detect trouble. Sometimes you can never fully have a peaceful home as a dog may never accept a cat and vica versa.

I really think you should specifically ask them for a dog that has lived with cats. Even at that, he/she may accept his/her cat and not another. Again, this to be tested to see the reaction.

Or option #2 - go to a rescue group that has a dog in their program, living with a cat. This is almost fool proof.

I took in a pittie from Ontario and fostered for a rescue here in Quebec. This dog lived with 2 cats, but would not under any circumstances accept mine. I had to transfer her to another to continue the fostering. Interestingly enough, the dog went into a home with an older cat that was not interested nor playful and they live in harmony.

Amarain
August 17th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Interesting! Danka was tested with but had not lived with cats, and she became protective of this cat in a month's time. I will definitely go for a cat-proofed pittie! Will this search ever end...?

BenMax
August 17th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Interesting! Danka was tested with but had not lived with cats, and she became protective of this cat in a month's time. I will definitely go for a cat-proofed pittie! Will this search ever end...?

It will end. Everything happens for a reason. This just was not the right time. Did you leave your application with the SPCA? Push to advise them that you are very interested in finding what you are looking for. Also, contact the SPCA Monteregie and even SPCA of Western Quebec.

Amarain
September 1st, 2009, 03:51 PM
I finally got my second doggy! I adopted Julius, a 7-month old pitty from Peace for Pits in Portland, Maine and picked him up in Vermont Saturday! Poor Julius went into a glass door at the customs but recovered fast! Julius is a charming happy puppy that settled quite fast and gets along super well with my female pitty, my cat and my bunny, which was super important to me. The fun started!!! My female has become protective of him on the leash when we meet other dogs, I hope that she will calm down though...

It's too bad I had such a hard time and did not succeed in rescuing a Canadian dog... but a dog in need is a dog in need, and I found my experiences with Peace for Pits and Miss Linda's in Tennessee (where Danka was from) truly enriching, I hope more people learn about adopting rescued dogs no matter the breed, and turn to this way of adopting first...