Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does anyone else have a cat that dosn't play?

Tundra_Queen
July 19th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Hi

Darby, doesn't seem to know how to play. I mean she doesn't try and go after balls I roll or ones I shake and then roll. She just walks over them like they aren't here. I first that she might be deaf but she seems to hear when I talk to her.

I've never heard of a cat that doesn't know how to play or was not interested in something rolling across the floor and was wondering if anyone else has one. she is just not interested...it seems weird to me. She doesn't even go and sniff the toys.

Thanks

Debbie

edwina
July 19th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Alot of times if no one has played with them when they where young they just dont get it when you want to play with them when there older. :shrug: I have also found that older cats play less with toys than younger ones. :cat:

ancientgirl
July 19th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Edwina is right. When I took in Czarina, she had no clue what feather toys were for or how to play with other toys. She was actually afraid of them. But she now loves playing with toys. I think what helped a lot is her watching the others playing.

BenMax
July 19th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I have 5 cats and 2 out of 5 don't play (interstingly enough it's the girls that are not interested). I have tried every toy imaginable and they are more interested in chilling with me then playing with anything.

rainbow
July 19th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Both of my cats (6yr & 7 yr) aren't nearly as interested in playing with toys now as they were when they were younger. :shrug:

The only thing they still like is those colourful springs but I can only bring those out when the dogs aren't around. I have tried leaving the springs in the basement but the cats just carry them upstairs. :rolleyes:

They will occassionally play with something dangling in front of them and the siamese x likes to attack a tennis ball. :D

Dee-O-Gee
July 19th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Our kitty is quite content not playing. :shrug:

She loves to be pet and snuggled--playing with toys is just not her forte. :shrug:

Rottielover
July 19th, 2009, 03:22 PM
BM that is funny, I now have 2 rescue cats, female will not play, catnip does not even affect her, but Sunset, let me tell you all he does is play.

catlover2
July 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM
When I was breeding & showing cats, I did have some queens that came from catteries where they had been caged and and weren't exposed to an "enriched" environment where they had access to lots of toys. These girls never did learn how to play, but all the kittens I raised over 15+ years of breeding were not raised in cages and had an enriched environment where toys were changed frequently, boxes and bags, climbing posts etc. All my kittens I sold played and continued to do so as adults. Some females I couldn't part with and had spayed and a few neutered males, continued to be playful even into their late teens. So I think early exposure to lots of toys and being played with are key to a playful adult cat. :cat:

CearaQC
July 19th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Linx prefers, or actually demands, a half-indoor/half-outdoor life. :laughing: He will meow non stop with a special "pay attention human now!" meow that's irritating until he gets his way. But if it rains or gets cold, he wants in awful fast to go sleep inside the house. The "let me in!" meows are much sweeter in tone, combined with a cheek rub on the door frame.

He plays only with wild critters. Big bugs or voles. Never could get him to enjoy toys. :shrug: I guess he enjoys his toys alive!:eek:

But he does enjoy his catnip.

TacoGrl
July 19th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Seth will play with bugs...roll around, do the reach for them...jump on them ever so lighly and then Messina will just walk over to it and eat it...no play, just eat it and then walk away leaving Seth sitting there staring in bewilderment. :shrug: Other toys they both play with though. :)

My Mooki and Jaeger didn't play very much though...they were more snugglebums with mom. :)

ownedbycats
July 20th, 2009, 10:25 AM
My Misty didn't seem to know how to play when she first arrived. After her kittens were born though, she watched us playing with them and with our other cat, Dr. Seuss. She gradually started patting at the toys, and then started playing, although you still have to approach it just right or she sits there and stares at you going "Humans are crazy":crazy: But she has decided that she does like to play and will sit and meow repeatedly from the stairs when she wants to play. Try various kinds of toys. Misty didn't like hard balls, but she goes nuts for soft spongy bouncy balls. She is also really fond of this toy that I got that is basically an extra long piece of fleece with a stick at one end and a feather at the other.

pattymac
July 20th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Coco and Bobee both play. Nino plays a little bit, I guess when he's more comfortable with his surroundings he'll play more. Heheh, I imagine the day will come when the 3 of them go chasing down the hall!! Egads, it'll sound like a herd of elephants thundering through the house!!

TacoGrl
July 20th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Does anyone have pics of these springs please? I haven't seen them in the stores, but maybe I just didn't see them right in front of my face :rolleyes:

Seth actually batted a ball back to me last night...he's never done that before...he watches Messina do it...guess he wanted to give it a try...found the ball in the litter box this morning. :shrug:

rainbow
July 20th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Does anyone have pics of these springs please? I haven't seen them in the stores, but maybe I just didn't see them right in front of my face :rolleyes:

Here you go ....

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=10050

TacoGrl
July 20th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Here you go ....

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=10050

Thanks!

Yup, I think my two would LOVE those...I may even be caught playing with them myself LoL! :o

Love4himies
July 20th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Have you tried a feather stick? Some cats prefer the movement that mimicks birds.

Tundra_Queen
July 20th, 2009, 05:23 PM
hanks everyone for your input. I guess Darby isn't as strange as I thought.

Seth will play with bugs...roll around, do the reach for them...jump on them ever so lighly and then Messina will just walk over to it and eat it...no play, just eat it and then walk away leaving Seth sitting there staring in bewilderment. :shrug: Other toys they both play with though. :)

My Mooki and Jaeger didn't play very much though...they were more snugglebums with mom. :)

LMBO poor Seth, I can just see the expression on his face after his toy gets eaten. :laughing::laughing:

Have you tried a feather stick? Some cats prefer the movement that mimicks birds.

I was looking for my interactive toy and I put it somewhere so I'd know where it was, and guess what? I can't find it. :laughing: I will keep looking for it though. I know it's in the house...somewhere

Debbie