Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Eagle Has Landed!

Dee-O-Gee
July 18th, 2009, 09:01 PM
So I found out yesterday from the Globe and Mail that I have a first edition print of a “Man on the moon” news article. This particular article was printed on July 21, 1969 when Neil Armstrong “Landed the Eagle.”

The article was left in our house when we purchased it from the previous owners. Unfortunately, I was just a little baby when man first walked on the moon and don’t have any recollection of the historical event. :sad:

Here is the article and the headline from a first edition (morning print):

Anyway, what makes this article interesting is that I also found out from them that they do not store archived copies of first edition newspapers. :eek:

The Globe heritage database (available at many public libraries, including Toronto Public) has all of their papers from 1844 through 2005 and are final editions.

Well I found a copy of a final edition print, (Globe and Mail) and it was selling for 500.00!

Here's what the final edition looks like (same day, later on):

Now I’m really curious to find out how much a First edition newsarticle would be worth! :eek: Especially if it’s nowhere to be found other than in someone’s house? :confused:

Any thoughts or suggestions? :shrug:

hazelrunpack
July 18th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Ooooo...yer a young'un! :D Some of us are old enough to remember the event--Mom and Dad woke us all up in the wee hours of the morning to watch, as I recall! :o

How cool to have found that piece of history in your house!! :thumbs up Looks like it's in great shape, too--you should talk to a book conservator to find out how best to preserve it. Newsprint doesn't age very well...

Dee-O-Gee
July 18th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Well not that young dare Madame! :D oh to be 16 again.

The article is in pretty good shape. It was stuck in between pages of a very old hardcovered world atlas and has been in there every since.

I was going to go to a local sports collectible store and purchase a plastic sleeve to slide the article into. They can custom order the size and I guess they have some kind of UV light protection in them. :shrug:

hazelrunpack
July 18th, 2009, 09:46 PM
It's not so much the UV as the acid that's in the paper--acidic pulp paper is notorious for self-destruction...

Dee-O-Gee
July 18th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Humph??? very interesting.

There's an old bookstore a couple blocks away from where I live. Perhaps I should swing by there and ask the nice book lady about preservation. Thanks Hazel! :thumbs up

CearaQC
July 19th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Skin oils can do a number on old paper too. That's why people in archives and museums wear white cotton gloves when handling old texts.

rainbow
July 19th, 2009, 01:23 AM
You are also not supposed to fold them as it will damage them. :)

rainbow
July 19th, 2009, 01:34 AM
I just googled and found this ....

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/642181/how_to_preserve_a_newspaper.html

A homemade recipe to deacidify newspapers (from http://www.make-stuff.com/formulas/newsclip.html) ....

HOW TO PRESERVE OLD AND BRITTLE NEWSPAPER CLIPPINGS

Dissolve 1 milk of magnesia tablet in 1 quart of club soda.

Let stand overnight

Stir well and pour into a shallow pan

Lay newspaper clipping flat in pan and soak for 1 to 2 hours

Carefully remove and place on soft towel to dry

The clipping will remain preserved for several decades.

*Note: always test procedure on a test page first.

Dee-O-Gee
July 19th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks Rainbow.

Unfortunately, the paper has been folded for almost 40 years! :eek:

I am a little leary about making my own de-acidifying concoction in fear that I would bugger everything up and ruin the article.

I think I may just visit our local antique bookstore and see what she has to say. :shrug:

rainbow
July 19th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Even though it's been folded it still looks like it is in really good shape. :thumbs up I would keep it layed out flat from now on though. Maybe get some acid free paper and keep it in a box if you can find one big enough. Or even just wrapped in the acid free paper and protected with two pieces of cardboard. :shrug:

I know I would be too scared to try the homemade recipe too and besides it's for a newspaper clipping but I guess it could be done in a bathtub. :D

Hope the bookstore lady can help you out. :fingerscr