Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat diagnosed with IBD -

redwitchnz
July 18th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Our 8 year old abby has been diagnosed with IBD and is on Predisone once a day, I have switched her to a raw food diet and she seems to be improving, only a small vomit every 3/4 day now. but she has lost a patch of hair is this from the predisone? any other members had similar experiences .

Love4himies
July 18th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Sorry to hear about your kitty, IBD is no fun.

It is common for humans who are on pred to have thinning hair so I would think it could happen to cats too.

Glad to hear you are on raw, that is the best diet for them :thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
July 25th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Hi

My cat willie was diagnosed with Inflammed bowel disease and has been on predizone for about 5 years and has never lost hair.

I switched him to wet food almost a year ago and am slowly weaning him off his prednizone.

I hope your kitty will do very well on the raw diet. I wish I could get Willie to eat raw, it took me months just to get him to eat wet.

Debbie

Dr Lee
July 28th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Sometimes the word prednisone and prednisolone are used interchangeably but they are not exactly the same. Prednisone is an inactive form which is changed to prednisolone, an active form. Dogs and humans make this conversion readily however it is thought that some cats cannot. Thus it is generally recommended that cats be given prednisolone as it will decrease the total amount of medication that might need to be delivered.

With that said, steroids can lead to hair loss. However if the site is an isolated spot then I would wonder about another cause. If the dose of steroids is high, then increased water consumption, increased urination, weight gain, dry hair coat, symmetric hair loss, etc... will occur. If these signs occur, then it might be necessary to see if the treatment regimen needs to be altered. Sometimes vitamin b12, metronidazole or other immune modulating medications might be helpful. The advantage of multimodal therapy is that you end up requiring less of an individual drug. Smaller levels of two drugs might be safer than a higher dose of one - not to mention the fact that it can often work better (synergism).

Hope that helps.

redwitchnz
August 18th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Tnak you for your feed back, Cleo still seems to have a bad day even on a raw diet, so is this normal, she is putting on some weight and has an appetite agian, She will go outside and find some grass to eat then will vomit!. Not sure realy what to do, as another visit to th vet will cost money i really do not have! advice from any one..

sugarcatmom
August 18th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Tnak you for your feed back, Cleo still seems to have a bad day even on a raw diet, so is this normal, she is putting on some weight and has an appetite agian, She will go outside and find some grass to eat then will vomit!. Not sure realy what to do, as another visit to th vet will cost money i really do not have! advice from any one..

I'm not sure what the problem is, are you saying she only vomits after eating grass? That's actually quite normal for cats. Does she just vomit up mostly grass or is there a substantial amount of food as well? Cats will often eat grass to help them eliminate hairballs. You could always limit her access to grass if you don't want her doing it, but then you might have to find some other way for her to get those hairballs out. The fact that she's gained weight is a very good sign.