Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oregano

rainbow
July 18th, 2009, 02:27 PM
A neighbour gave us a bundle of oregano which I have hung up to dry ......easy peasy. :D

Now, I need help. :laughing:

1. What is the easiest way to strip it without making a mess? :o
2. What about the buds? Do I strip them off too? :shrug:
3. If not, how do I avoid not stripping them? :confused:

Winston
July 18th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Rainbow I would just do it on a clean tableo r with a large area of paper towel or something so its easy to put in a container from there. As for the bugs I guess if you can clip them off go for it. If not I would just run my fingers down the stalk and let it crumble?? not sure if it makes a difference or not? Mmmm your huse is gonna smell good! hopefully you like the smell of it? :thumbs up

rainbow
July 18th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks for your help, Cindy. I went and googled about the buds after I posted this and found out that the Italians crumble them up as well and who would know more about oregano than an Italian. :thumbs up

Paper towel on the table would work if the bundle wasn't so big. Maybe I can go buy a big sheet of brown paper and then hope the cats don't try and jump up on the table to see if they can help. :laughing:

And, yes, it does smell lovely. :cloud9:

Winston
July 18th, 2009, 04:08 PM
If you have a dollar store nearby they sell the rolls of brown paper for a buck! :thumbs up

rainbow
July 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM
If you have a dollar store nearby they sell the rolls of brown paper for a buck! :thumbs up

Thanks Cindy .....I think you just solved my problem. :thumbs up

Dee-O-Gee
July 19th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Paper towel on the table would work if the bundle wasn't so big. Maybe I can go buy a big sheet of brown paper and then hope the cats don't try and jump up on the table to see if they can help. :laughing:

And, yes, it does smell lovely. :cloud9:

Kitties can help--they could make themselves up some oregano catnip! :D:D

rainbow
July 19th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Kitties can help--they could make themselves up some oregano catnip! :D:D

Maybe I should try that as they don't like the regular catnip. :rolleyes:

CearaQC
July 19th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Brown paper lunch sack. :D

That's what I used for summer savory one year.

rainbow
July 19th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Brown paper lunch sack. :D

That's what I used for summer savory one year.

But the bundle is too big even for a paper grocery bag.

Dog Dancer
July 20th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Okay Rainbow, I being married to an Italian, use a large cardboard box for drying and cleaning. I put it in the box and toss it every day so that it dries evenly, and then I just take each piece (including the buds - boy did hubby give me hell for throwing some of those out!!) and crinkle it into the box. When all the stalks are gone, the box has all the dried bits. I then put that into a food processor to grind it up if I want it finer than my little fingers can do it. We dry most of our herbs this way.

The basil I sometimes make pesto with, but if I'm not making actual pesto then I chop up the basil leaves in a blender with some olive oil and freeze it in ice cube trays. After it's frozen I pop them into freezer bags and can take out the basil cubes any time I want for sauces and such. If you do make pesto it's good to put into very small plastic containers and then freeze them. That way you can just use a small bit at a time as it's very rich and you don't normally use very much. A wee bit of fresh pesto on bocconcini and tomato is fabulous!

Right now I have smaller bits of mint and thyme drying in my spare bedroom - but they are just on newspaper as there's not too much of it there yet. Room smells interesting though.

muggsmom
July 21st, 2009, 11:26 AM
As for the bugs I guess if you can clip them off go for it. If not I would just run my fingers down the stalk and let it crumble??

:yuck::yuck::yuck:

Sorry, couldn't resist :laughing: