Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My puupy ate his first chicken drumstick

curiouslearn
July 18th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Hi,

Today I fed my puppy his first chicken drumstick. I was watching him like a hawk to make sure that he did not choke. My question is the following. While he was chewing the bone, a small (about half a inch long) thin, sharp piece of bone fell out of his mouth. I let him eat it, as it was all raw.

Is that dangerous? I though raw bones were not supposed to splinter. I just took the raw drumstick out of the packet and gave it to him. Should I be doing something else?

Thanks.

growler~GateKeeper
July 19th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Raw bones don't generally splinter but drumsticks are hollow and therefore those might.

From In The Raw (http://www.intherawpetfood.com/)

*SOME CAUTIONARY NOTES ON BONES!*
*Always choose bones larger than your pets mouth capacity. At least 1 to 1 Ĺ times the size of the width & girth of the mouth.

*Always supervise your pet while chewing on bones. Do not hover they will attempt to gulp down the bone.

*Sometimes your pet will regurgitate a bone. DONíT PANIC! Look at the size pieces youíre feeding are they too big or too small for the size and veracious nature of your pets eating habits. Adjust if necessary.

*Puppies, kittens, seniors and beginners choose softer bones like backs, and necks. They are a softer cartilage & bone mix and are padded with meat all around so they are easily digested.

*Be wary of poultry leg bones (the drum) they are long and hollow, some pets donít chew these properly and therefore do not digest properly. Recommended for experienced feeders ONLY!

curiouslearn
July 19th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks very much for the information growler. I appreciate it. Need to get some necks and chicken backs. I really have not seen chicken backs being sold by themselves. I suppose I will have to buy the whole chicken and break the back (if I can figure out which part is the back). The problem is that I don't know what to do with the rest of the chicken.

rainbow
July 20th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Where do you live? Here in BC they sell backs & necks at Extra Foods which is part of the Loblaws chain. I've also seen them in a local independent supermarket here in town. Lots of people buy them to make chicken soup so the are quite popular. Maybe you could just ask at the supermarkets where you live or if you have a local butcher shop, even better.

MadeleineI
July 20th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Battery chickens are not the best source of food for anyone as they are filled with antibiotics and growth hormones. Free range are better, and have stronger bones.
Bones are essential for dogs, in particular puppies. But they need to be of an appropriate size - to keep the dog occupied for at least half an hour and then to just have bits at the end. Smaller are OK, but lose their value for teeth and gum cleaning. Gradually increase the size of the bone as the puppy grows.
Give the rest of any carcass to the dog at the other meal.

curiouslearn
July 20th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks rainbow and MadeleineI. I live in Rochester, NY. Perhaps I should look more carefully in the grocery stores here.

MadeleineI, I am going to try and get free range chickens next time. Hopefully I can find them. But for now, I know that the US federal regulations do not allow for hormones in chicken and it is free of any hormones (hopefully, since not allowed by law).

karank
July 22nd, 2009, 12:17 PM
I thought chiken bones were really bad for dogs because they splinter. My friends rottie recently died a few days after eating chicken bones. Are you sure it is safe?

bendyfoot
July 22nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
Yep, as long as they're RAW. raw bones are soft and don't splinter; dogs and cats can easily chew them. Cooked bones are brittle and dangerous.

My entire gang has been eating raw chicken, including bones, since about December, with no trouble whatsoever.