Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ummm guys, I need help....

14+kitties
July 17th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Does anyone know of a way to find out if a feral cat has already been fixed besides having them put under and shaving them? :rolleyes:

Frenchy
July 17th, 2009, 08:16 PM
ouch .... is the cat male or female ? I don't have to tell you what to look for if it's a male :laughing: female , you might feel a scar but not everytime ...

does this cat let you approach ?

Winston
July 17th, 2009, 08:18 PM
14+ if you ask the vet they may be able to give you a tranquilizer type drug that you could put in their food. The thing is you would have to entice them into a trap and wait for them to be zonked out? or trapping and taking to a vet for a bit of gas and a peek?

Where is the kitty?

Some TNR rescues will clip their ears...

14+kitties
July 17th, 2009, 08:21 PM
:headslap: Oh sorry Frenchy. Should have said female. See, the problem is she's a grey striped tabby. Identical to 6 or 7 other grey striped tabbys I have had fixed. It's possible it's one I had fixed last year and she was just silly enough to get herself trapped again. She was in the trap in the greenhouse when I went in to feed the other strays tonight.
And no, I can't approach. I put her in an empty dog crate (not many left) in the garage. She freaked and went up to the top so I was able to have a looksee to see what sex. Definitely female.

14+kitties
July 17th, 2009, 08:24 PM
14+ if you ask the vet they may be able to give you a tranquilizer type drug that you could put in their food. The thing is you would have to entice them into a trap and wait for them to be zonked out? or trapping and taking to a vet for a bit of gas and a peek?

Where is the kitty?

Some TNR rescues will clip their ears...

Unfortunately the rescue I have been working with in TO doesn't tip ears. The one in St. Cats where I had Tao done last week does tip. In fact I think they tip too much! They took half his ear. :sad:
If it's the cat I think it may be then she was done last year in TO. :shrug: She's already trapped.

Frenchy
July 17th, 2009, 08:27 PM
It's possible it's one I had fixed last year and she was just silly enough to get herself trapped again. She was in the trap in the greenhouse when I went in to feed the other

note to self : send 14+ tags for her spayed and neutered cats :laughing:

you know , like those tags with numbers that cows wear :D

rainbow
July 17th, 2009, 08:30 PM

Or you could paint their toenails pink or blue. :laughing:

Sorry 14+, I don't know of any way you can tell other than sedating and shaving and even then lots of times it's hard to tell.

14+kitties
July 17th, 2009, 08:34 PM

Or you could paint their toenails pink or blue. :laughing:

Sorry 14+, I don't know of any way you can tell other than sedating and shaving and even then lots of times it's hard to tell.

Aww you ladies are ffffuuuunnnnyyyy!!!!! :laughing::laughing: Welcome back Rainbow!! I missed you!!! :grouphug:
I was hoping someone could come up with an amazing new thing I could do without getting my hand ripped off and without taking away a spot at the clinic from a cat that really needs done if she's been done already. Only thing I know is she hasn't had kittens lately. Her belly was normal. That to me, seeing as it's kitten season sort of, suggests she's already been fixed? Either that or I wait for a few weeks and see if her belly gets bigger. Dang!

Love4himies
July 17th, 2009, 09:08 PM
That is right, 14+, sometimes even shaving and looking for a scar isn't accurate, some vets are very good and don't leave too much of a scar. It may be a wait and see if she goes into heat.

14+kitties
July 17th, 2009, 09:12 PM
That is right, 14+, sometimes even shaving and looking for a scar isn't accurate, some vets are very good and don't leave too much of a scar. It may be a wait and see if she goes into heat.

Yeah, I'm thinking I have another one visiting in the garage for at least a few weeks. Darn, I hope hubby gets that new enclosure done quickly! I need to get those other guys moved and get the crates sterilized the way this year is going! :wall:
IF she is one that was done last year the vet didn't leave much of a scar. I have lots of girls to go by here. He was very good. They would probably have to open her up.

Jim Hall
July 17th, 2009, 09:37 PM
hmm spray the top :thumbs upof her tail orange?

Tundra_Queen
July 17th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Does anyone know of a way to find out if a feral cat has already been fixed besides having them put under and shaving them? :rolleyes:

14+ I was hoping someone would have an answer as I was wondering the same thing. I felt around on the stomach but didn't feel a thing. How long are cats pregnant for? And how often do they go into heat?

Debbie

14+kitties
July 17th, 2009, 10:11 PM
14+ I was hoping someone would have an answer as I was wondering the same thing. I felt around on the stomach but didn't feel a thing. How long are cats pregnant for? And how often do they go into heat?

Debbie

Well Tundra, in your case I would be taking your new kitty in to your vet and having her checked. That is what you are planning on doing anyway. Cats are pregnant for 57 - 65 days. Usually somewhere around the 62,63 day they give birth but there are slight variances. They can go into heat whenever they are in the vicinity of an unaltered male cat. They can give birth and within a few days be back in heat. You think your kitty is around 9 months. Your vet would be able to tell you. Your kitty is not feral. It is friendly.

My problem is that this is a very feral cat. Feral cats are not exactly people friendly. I am used to dealing with them. I have have quite a few fixed in the last year and a half. The biggest problem is that she is the same colouring as so many of my other ones. Most of the ones that look like her are in the catuary. I did have two other ferals that were identical to her fixed and released. However, one got away before she was fixed. I am not sure if this is not the one who got away.
I am thinking this is a wait and see game now. If I don't see any sign of pregnancy in the next few weeks or no sign of heat I will probably release her again. If I see signs she will be getting fixed.

14+kitties
July 17th, 2009, 10:12 PM
hmm spray the top :thumbs upof her tail orange?

Oh heck Jim, let's make it florescent orange!! :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
July 18th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Don't you already have an unaltered male waiting to go in for the snip?

If you can get his crate & put it several feet away (obviously not in reaching distance in any way) from this gal's that should speed up the waiting for heat signs.

Tundra_Queen
July 18th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Well Tundra, in your case I would be taking your new kitty in to your vet and having her checked. That is what you are planning on doing anyway. Cats are pregnant for 57 - 65 days. Usually somewhere around the 62,63 day they give birth but there are slight variances. They can go into heat whenever they are in the vicinity of an unaltered male cat. They can give birth and within a few days be back in heat. You think your kitty is around 9 months. Your vet would be able to tell you. Your kitty is not feral. It is friendly.

My problem is that this is a very feral cat. Feral cats are not exactly people friendly. I am used to dealing with them. I have have quite a few fixed in the last year and a half. The biggest problem is that she is the same colouring as so many of my other ones. Most of the ones that look like her are in the catuary. I did have two other ferals that were identical to her fixed and released. However, one got away before she was fixed. I am not sure if this is not the one who got away.
I am thinking this is a wait and see game now. If I don't see any sign of pregnancy in the next few weeks or no sign of heat I will probably release her again. If I see signs she will be getting fixed.

thanks 14+. I knew yours is feral, (we use to call them barn cats when I worked at the HS way back in the day)but I thought u were meaning that sometimes even a vet can't tell if a cat has been fixed. I will be taking Darcy to the vets on Tuesday.

I didn't know that the scent of an unaltered male makes a female go into heat. I thought they had cycles like female humans did.

I have no idea how old Darcy is, that is something else I'm going to ask the vet.

Could u ask the vet to put notches in their ears from now on like the others do so u would know who is fixed?

Debbie

14+kitties
July 18th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Don't you already have an unaltered male waiting to go in for the snip?

If you can get his crate & put it several feet away (obviously not in reaching distance in any way) from this gal's that should speed up the waiting for heat signs.

Great idea growler. Unfortunately he was done last Monday.

Jim Hall
July 18th, 2009, 08:52 AM
it still may work g amn still goes after heat

chico2
July 18th, 2009, 09:05 AM
14+,if she is in tact,would she not have had kittens recently somewhere,would it not show?
I am rooting for her already having been fixed,seeing she looks so much like your other kitties:pray:
She's probably howling already in the cage,would you know,if it is in heat howling or desperate howling for being caught:shrug:

14+kitties
July 18th, 2009, 09:19 AM
14+,if she is in tact,would she not have had kittens recently somewhere,would it not show?
I am rooting for her already having been fixed,seeing she looks so much like your other kitties:pray:
She's probably howling already in the cage,would you know,if it is in heat howling or desperate howling for being caught:shrug:

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I am almost 100% certain she is Taz. I haven't seen her for quite some time so thought she had probably become a meal for a coyote. I guess if it's her she's wilyer (not a word) than I thought. She was very quiet in the crate this morning. I was able to pet her backside through the bars for a few seconds before she moved away from my hand. I will still keep an eye on her to make sure. I really do not need kittens this year!!

Have to add - there are three males in there at the moment. None of them are showing any inclination to get closer to her. That's a good sign too. I guess I just panicked when I saw another cat in the trap.

rainbow
July 18th, 2009, 01:40 PM
:pray: :fingerscr that she is Taz. :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
July 18th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Maybe you can tattoo them. My only suggestion is to try putting something in her food to calm her down and shave her.:shrug: