Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

R.I.P. Pepper

dbg10
July 17th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Pepper, our wonderful 12 1/2 yr old ESS had not been eating well for the last couple of weeks. She had been to the vet on several occasions and we tried antibiotics, pain medication and changed her food again without her showing any improvement. A week ago she was eating very little and within the last few days she wouldn't eat anything at all. She was still drinking, but less and less every day and she was also vomiting occasionally. She was losing weight rapidly and we decided that it wouldn't be fair to her to have any invasive testing given the surgery she had last fall for her giant lipoma.
Pepper's Giant Lipoma and Surgery (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52403)
We felt the kindest thing to do for her was to make the decision to have her euthanized. So earlier today we took her to our vet and she passed away peacefully.

We miss her terribly already but she is now happy and painfree with her other doggy friends that passed before her. Her kitty friends are really going to miss her, they've all been hovering around her for the last few days and I knew they were worried about her. After all the joy she gave us, may she rest in peace :candle::rip:

The picture below was taken just before she left home for the last time.

Frenchy
July 17th, 2009, 08:14 PM
ohhh I remember Pepper ! I am so sorry for your loss :sad: you gave her such comfort with the operation .... you took such good care of her ! :grouphug:

RIP Pepper :candle:

Rottielover
July 17th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I am so sorry for your loss :rip: pepper

JanM
July 17th, 2009, 08:55 PM
:candle: :pray: for you and Pepper!

14+kitties
July 17th, 2009, 08:56 PM
:candle::rip: Pepper :candle: You were much loved on earth. You will be doubly loved at the Bridge.

hazelrunpack
July 17th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Pepper! She was such a lucky girl to have had you--and you took such great care of her! I think she captured a lot of hearts on the board, dbg10. She'll be remembered by a lot of us! :grouphug:

:candle: Pepper

Magicwildwolf69
July 17th, 2009, 10:32 PM
i'm so sorry for your lost :(

Shaykeija
July 17th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I am so sorry for your loss...such a beautiful soul...:rip::angel2:

luckypenny
July 17th, 2009, 11:56 PM
My condolences to you and your family, dbg10 :grouphug:. You gave her as much joy and love as she gave you.

:candle: Pepper

rainbow
July 18th, 2009, 12:05 AM
My heart goes out to you for the loss of Pepper ......my deepest condolences to you and your family. :grouphug:

:rip: Sweet Pepper :candle:

growler~GateKeeper
July 18th, 2009, 03:01 AM
:sad: I'm so sorry dbg10 :grouphug:

:rip: sweet :angel2: Pepper :candle: She is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle:

hunnybunny
July 18th, 2009, 07:59 AM
:sad: so sorry to hear of the loss of your lovely girl:grouphug:x

Run free Pepper :candle:

Winston
July 18th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Awe sweet Pepper! Hazel is right she captured so many hearts here! and surely will not be forgotten! She is now free to run and play with all the others who went before! She will be waiting for you!

Run free sweet one!
:candle:

:rip::dog:

diandpat
July 18th, 2009, 09:14 AM
:rip: Sweet Pepper I can only imagine how much you must miss her :angel2:

You did so much for her before/during/after her surgery and it would have been a lot to make her go through more now. At least you have wonderful memories and she lived a beautiful life.

Run free and whole at the Bridge Pepper :pawprint:

chico2
July 18th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I think most of us here remember beautiful Pepper and her surgery,such a brave good girl:lovestruck:
She has left behind some wonderful memories,memories you'll cherish forever.
:rip:sweet Pepper:angel2:

edwina
July 19th, 2009, 09:44 AM
:rip: Pepper :cry:

dbg10
July 19th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks everyone for all your kind words for our family. It really says something about this forum when most remember the trials we went through with her surgery last year.

Over the last few weeks it was getting more and more obvious that the time had come, she seemed to be in pain yet no matter what I did I couldn't get any pills down her in the last week or more. When she refused to eat anything I was out of luck with trying to hide the pills in food and when I tried to give her the pills directly she would start to shake and shiver as though she was terrified. When that happened I decided I was not going to even attempt to give her anymore pills. We waited a few days to see if she improved and when there was none and she was getting weaker, the decision was made. Over the last month or more she had been using pee pads during the night and sometimes during the day as she became weaker. Her stool was very dark in the last week and our vet felt she was bleeding inside and if investigated, it might be too much for her.

She lost 4 lbs in 10 days a few weeks ago and then had lost another 4 lbs in 5 days this week. She wasn't eating, but even that seemed like a lot of weight loss to me. She had been doing well after her surgery until I noticed she was eating less about 6 weeks ago. Every day she seemed to eat less until she finally just stopped eating. However, she was still interesting in food but after smelling it, she wouldn't touch it. We tried every type of food you can think of, but she refused everything. After the surgery and everything else she'd been through in the last year, it reached the point where I thought it better to just let go. I'm sure she's happier for it :)

She essentially made the decision for us. Our Blackie, Pepper's predecessor did the same thing at the age of 14 1/2.

I have had trouble deciding how to handle the cats. They were hovering around her for at least 3 or 4 days prior to the day. They all wouldn't let her out of their sight which is really unusual for 2 of them. The oldest cat is 'king' but even he showed concern. The middle two Bailey and Tiger wouldn't leave the room, and Tiger usually hides all day and comes out only to eat. The youngest Smokey, was Pepper's cat. They spent their days together and he is suffering the most, walking around looking for her, and coming to me regularly, looking and meowing at me.

I decided that I would leave Pepper's toys, bed and dishes around and slowly remove some every day. I don't know if this was a good decision or not, but I'm hoping it helps them through their grief. I don't remember what I did when Blackie passed but I suspect I didn't just put everything away immediately.

Thanks again for the kind wishes, I will miss her :candle: But I think she is in a much better place now where she can run free. :angel2:

PS I edited the picture above so it fits on the page better.

chico2
July 19th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Aww dbg,cats just don't understand,they want their friend back,it's just so sad:sad:
They will be ok with time,it was a good idea to keep Peppers things around,it might give them some comfort.
People who think cats don't care,are soo wrong..
:grouphug:to you and the kitties:grouphug: