Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Not doing very well healthwise

babymomma
July 17th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Wednesday I went to the gynocologist (sp?).. And after being violated (:rolleyes:) by the Cute intern and THEN the real docter. I found out that I have a 3 inch tumor on my Ovary. It is something i was born with. Its taken years to figure out what has been wrong with me. 4 years ago my hair was falling out and I looked like a ghost. 4 years later I now know what caused it.

I must live next to a nuclear power plant or something. because the tumor is benign, BUT it has hair, teeth and cartilage in it:eek: Chyea, you read it right! My mom made a joke and said it was my undeveloped twin (SOOO not funny).. It started out when i was born with one cell that was supposed to go to another part of my body (Could've beeen a hair folecule or something) and it later formed hair and teeth. Im shocked. And grossed out. Majorly. On the plus side, Only about 1-2 % are cancerous:thumbs up

Ive been having alot of pain lately. And Im going to undergo Surgery to remove the darn thing on august 10th They will try to save my ovary. And I am scared to death. Apparently its a big surgery. With a 6 week recovery time. And I have 3 days in the hospital and i wont be able to see kiwi :cry: I have No pain tolerance at all. And I have a big fear of needles and surgeries and such . Plus I wtached the movie awake (A guy went to get surgery and he was asleep, but he was aware of everything going on around him and Felt the actual surgery, and apparently that actually happens:eek:) .. Im scared.. About the recovery and stuff. I cant walk my dog, Play with my dog... I cant do anything:cry: Its going to ruin my summer:yell: And my doggies summer:sad:

What is it like to recover from surgery? The pain? Is ir unbearable?
They said if its too bad they can give me morphine:eek: No thanks. I dont have an addictive personality but, nope, not takin' any chances. well, maybe if it hurts too much i wont be able to say no:o..

What do i do about keely?

Dog Dancer
July 17th, 2009, 02:00 PM
So sorry to hear about this. You know (just to make you giggle) maybe if it has hair and teeth and stuff Keely will want to play with it! Okay - You will be in my thoughts and prayers that it all goes well for you, as I'm sure it will, and that you have the speediest of recoveries. Just remember to take it easy and do as the Docs say so you don't extend the recovery time by doing something to mess it up. Keely will enjoy extra cuddle time with you is all. I'm sure you mom will help out with her and put her out to do business and stuff. You have to take care of you first though. Sorry other than childbirth I've not had any real surgeries to speak of so can't offer you advice on that. But I'm not one for pain either, I'd do the drugs.

TacoGrl
July 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM
The right kind of drugs can be fun! No pain and lots of oohlala I'm floating! :D

As for the surgery, are they just removing the growth or are they taking the ovary too? Women get all kinds of cysts inside them that mean nothing and live happily with us our whole lives...most don't have hair and teeth though :eek: Perhaps you are pregnant and being the rebel your child probably would be :evil: :D it has decided to grow in a different place!

You will be in pain...it is major adominal surgery...lay low after and find a comfortable spot to sleep...you usually feel like walking around after a few days, but it will still be tender...no exercising or heavy lifting/running/bending until you get the Doc's ok.

babymomma
July 17th, 2009, 03:11 PM
The right kind of drugs can be fun! No pain and lots of oohlala I'm floating! :D

As for the surgery, are they just removing the growth or are they taking the ovary too? Women get all kinds of cysts inside them that mean nothing and live happily with us our whole lives...most don't have hair and teeth though :eek: Perhaps you are pregnant and being the rebel your child probably would be :evil: :D it has decided to grow in a different place!

You will be in pain...it is major adominal surgery...lay low after and find a comfortable spot to sleep...you usually feel like walking around after a few days, but it will still be tender...no exercising or heavy lifting/running/bending until you get the Doc's ok.

lol, I sure as hell hope im not pregnant:eek: 16 years old. Thank godits not possible..lol.. They are going to TRY to save the ovary. But if they have to, they will remove it:sad:

It should be fine after its removed. Most arent cancerous... Its solid so it is alot worse then just a normal cist. It cant burst. If it did it would be BAD.

Thanks for the giggles guys! lol

Another big thing im worrying about is sleeping... I sleep on my stomache. If i sleep on my back I panic... Like crazy panic, cant sleep kind of thing..
And on my side my arm falls asleep and it hurts. Ack..

chico2
July 17th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Awww Babymomma,you sound like a bit of a sucky:laughing:but that's ok,you are only 16yrs old.
My youngest son has had several surgeries,2 open-heart surgeries included at 4 yrs old and 14yrs old.
He is the bravest person I know.

You'll be ok and since you live with your mom,I am sure you'll be pampered,Keely will be fine too,will probably give you lots of sympathy-licks and cuddles.
:fingerscrthat they will leave the ovary in tact:fingerscr

lUvMyLaB<3
July 17th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Ohhh Bm!! I am so sorry to hear that!!! I have had cysts removed from mine, so it will probably be similar. The pain will be bad after the surgery, not terrible, not as bad as having a baby.... it will gradually get better, and after a week will only hurt if you move funny. take the morphine while in the hospital, then they will probably give you tylenol #3 or something for home, take it when you need it, it takes the pain away, and don't take it when you don't need it. Don't worry!!!! Many more people take pain meds and are fine than get addicted! There is a difference between using and abusing and after surgery you will be using it.

You'll be ok kiddo!! Promise! You won't wake up or anything, and they will give you something for pain in the recovery room. Just think of it the good way, you will be spoiled! And after a week, you can go on walks, maybe someone else can hold the dog and you can go along? You wont be stuck in bed for 6 weeks, but it will take awhile to be back to 100%, probably sooner than 6 weeks too, that is what they mean by recovery time.

We'll be thinking of you, OHHHHH and all that time in bed you can be on pets.ca!! Take lots of pics now, so you can upload them when you are bored!! ( NOT that I know anyone here that likes to see pics... nope nope not here!!!)

lUvMyLaB<3
July 17th, 2009, 09:06 PM
OH! and after mine I did not want to sleep on my back either, I lived in the lazyboy chair, do you have a recliner?? Sooo Comfy!! I want surgery now!! I wanna go lie down in that chair all day and have people bring me things! sooo fun :))

joeysmama
July 17th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I've had surgeries a few times and trust me, you won't wake up. You fall asleep right away when they put the mask on and you wake up in recovery--you won't know a thing. I've had two nose jobs (insert Michael Jackson jokes here if you must), breast surgery (removing calcium, not getting implants, although if I could afford it....) and I had a football sized tumor removed from my kidney and they took the kidney out too.

Of all those the worst one in recovery was the first nose job because I got sick to my stomach. But it's really not that bad, honest. I'd rather have surgery than fly in a plane.

The kidney thing was difficult because recovery was a long time. I couldn't just jump back to my life, but right after surgery not so bad. They'll give you good drugs and then you wean yourself from them as soon as you can after going home.

I have a very good friend who has only one ovary that functions and she has had three beautiful children. It took her a little while to conceive the first time but not an unusual length of time. Less than a year which is not considered an issue. The second one she had barely started trying and the third one she was definitely NOT trying!

You'll be fine !! Lots of prayers and good wishes coming your way. And they probably give you the worst case scenario about how long you'll need to recover so that you won't expect too much. That way when you're feeling better ahead of time you'll be happy!

14+kitties
July 17th, 2009, 09:47 PM
You will be fine. You have a good support system at home with your parents. :thumbs up

Smiley14
July 18th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry you have to have surgery! I'll be thinking of you on the 10th! Surgery isn't fun, but I promise you, you won't remember or feel anything from the surgery itself. It's very surreal going into the OR and in the few moments before you fall asleep. One moment you're nervous in your head, the next you hear voices and are trying to wake up and open your eyes. It really does feel like going from one second to the next. There is pain, but don't be afraid to take the drugs, that's what they are there for and they really do help.

BIG HUGS to you!!!!! :grouphug:

Winston
July 18th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Hey Babymomma! you'lll be just fine. I just had one of the major surgury's and the pain is bad..but they give you lots of things in the hospital to help you manage that! I am a bit of a suck too but I think I was more scared of the fact that I had to walk to the OR :yell: that was scary! noises, doctors you name it!

I think what I hated the most was the anesethia...I was in recovery for 4 hours :laughing: no kiddin! DH was worried something happened cause they told him I would be an hour in recovery! maybe I was their source of entertainment I dont know! :laughing:

What is the procedure called that your having done? Keely will be waiting at home to give you lots of hugs and kisses..(maybe mom could sneak her into the hospital in her purse for a quick visit!) :thumbs up

We will all be thinking of you! :thumbs up

ancientgirl
July 18th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I've never had that kind of serious surgery, but you're young, and I'm sure you well recover just fine. It's better they do this now, that it's not bad, than to wait and take a chance that it gets worse.

Keely will probably sense you aren't well so she might stick around her mommy and give some comfort.:D

Bailey_
July 18th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Oh my goodness, SO sorry to hear about this BM! Surgery of any kind is always intimidating, but like everyone has already said - you'll be fine. Recovery might not be very fun, but at least there is ICE CREAM!! :D:thumbs up

Thinking of you!!!

rainbow
July 18th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Awwww, BM, sorry to hear that you need surgery but like everyone has said everything will be fine. :2huggers:

The hospital staff are really good with peeps when it's their first surgery and the surgeon and anesthesiologist come and talk to you beforehand and the OR nurses are very comforting. Don't worry about the pain meds ....they know how much is safe for someone by their age and weight. You won't feel a thing during the surgery but will after the sedation wears off and that's when you'll appreciate the meds prescribed. :thumbs up

Mom & Dad will takegood care of Keely and she will be a big comfort to you when you get home. :grouphug:

And, I'm sorry, but I had to laugh when you're mom joked that the alien tumor is your undeveloped twin. :laughing:

babymomma
July 18th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks everybody:grouphug: and yes, Im a biiiiig sucky baby when it comes to this stuff:o.. Ive been in contact with a nurse whom explained EVERY last detail and i am feeling SO much better about everything. I think because I didnt have a clue what would be going on I was paniking.

LML- yep Ive got a recliner. Maybe my dad can move it into my room (im the only one that uses the darn thing:o lol)m I guess im the only lazyboy (err, girl) in the house.. lol..

Seriously, THANK YOU everybody for the kind words and thoughts.

Winston- My mom would probably try to sneak her in, but if she were to get caught she would be kicked out as well:sad:

My mom said she will ask if i can be brought down into the parking lot in a wheel chair to see keely:fingerscr Who knows, maybe they will let her in for a quick visit:shrug: My aunt is a nurse in there, maybe she can pull some strings:p

Thanks again!

Love4himies
July 18th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Awww, babymomma, I am so sorry you have to have surgery :grouphug:.

I hope you will get to see keely, healing is always better when you are in a happy spirit :grouphug:

mollywog
July 18th, 2009, 07:12 PM
sending good thoughts your way BM :goodvibes:
I have never been "put under" but my mom has a TON of times (she's been through breast cancer twice and has had a bunch of surgeries for that) and she has told me that she actually likes the process (as weird as that sounds)- she said the anasthesiologist puts a warm blanket on you and talks nicely to you and then before you know it you blink and the surgery is over! And she said they really spoil you afterwards and let you eat popsicles and ice cream!! :thumbs up
I totally understand why you would be nervous, but stay strong, and listen to your body- and don't rush things while recovering.
Maybe you could start a blog with all your free time? Or write stories, learn photoshop, teach yourself how to knit?? or read a ton of juicy romance novels :laughing: or watch a lot of sappy chick flicks!!!

CearaQC
July 18th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I've only been put under once for surgery to have my tonsils out when I was around 11 yrs old. I'm terrified of needles too! But I can handle it better now after I took a course about 10 years ago to learn to draw blood from people.

When they get you on the table they will say OK count backwards from 100, and by the time you get to 99 or 98, you're out. :laughing:

Next thing you know you will be nudged awake by a nurse or the anesthesiologist and watched for a while in the recovery room. Then not long after you will go to a regular room and your family will take real good care of you. :D

You might feel some pain but they will drug you up good for that first day. Just get up and around as soon as you can to walk a bit and then you can get out of the hospital ASAP and go home to rest properly. Never can get good sleep in the hospital. Some nurses have been known to wake people up to give them a sleeping pill. :laughing:

Bearsmom
July 19th, 2009, 05:11 PM
BM, I had this surgery (although different, they removed all of my girly parts) last year. I'm a stomach sleeper, too. So, here's my advice:

Expect it's going to hurt, but you will be numb for quite some time afterwards.

Sneezing and coughing will also hurt, keep a pillow nearby to press into your abdomen when you have to do either. Sorry to tell you but pooping also hurts for the first week.

Sleeping on your stomach can be adjusted....I used pillows on either side of me while sleeping to alleviate accidental rollovers onto my stomach. Plus, your body will wake you up with pain if you accidentally do roll over.

They will give you pain meds. Use them!