Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

chicken wings vs. chicken necks

curiouslearn
July 17th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I am thinking of giving my puppy a taste of the raw with one of the above items. He will get these along with his kibble (say half an hour before the kibble). Can you please suggest which of these two will be easier to digest?
Should I take off the skin or should I leave it on?

Thanks.

luckypenny
July 17th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Welcome to pets.ca, curiouslearn :).

If you decide to supplement with raw, please offer it at least 6 hours before feeding kibble or 8-10 hours after feeding kibble. Feeding at nearly the same time will keep the raw in his digestive system for too long...something to be avoided (raw usually digests within 4 hours, kibble within 10-12 hours and sometimes longer depending on the food).

How large is your puppy? How old is he? Does he normally chew his food? You can take a mallet to a large chicken neck and hold one end as he chews until you're sure he won't wolf it down. You can also offer something meatier such as a chicken leg, beef rib, or whole frozen sardine/mackeral.

curiouslearn
July 17th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks for your reply luckypenny. My puppy is 4months + a week. He is about 33.5 pounds (a lab retriever). I am not sure that he will chew, and hence, as you suggested I will hold it in my hand.

I think I will stick to chicken or turkey this first time around. As you suggested, I will leave time between raw and kibble. Of the things you suggested, could you tell me which one would be easiest to digest for him. Should I keep the skin or thaw it. Would one chicken leg drumstick be too much for a meal?

Sorry, lots of questions. Thanks very much for your help.

3GirlsDad
July 17th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I have 3 Dogue de Bordeaux and until recently we have fed all 3 raw for morning and evening meals. Morning consists of something meaty and bony. Usually we chicken backs with the neck attached. Sometimes they get turkey necks which are large and provide some good chewing time for them. These are way too big to be swallowed whole. We also give them a whole mackeral maybe once a week or once every 2 weeks. If your going to feed the chicken keep the skin on unless you notice you Lab is getting fat. It does wonders for their coat. We feed them either tripe or some other ground up product for their evening meal. One of their favorites is a ground up mix of tripe, beef trachea, ground bone, and egg. These are a product i buy in 2 pound rolls and each dog gets about 1 3/4 pounds per evening. We do fast our dogs 1 day a week in order to let their bowels clear.

Here recently though my youngest has started turning her nose up at the raw. I wasnt happy with the results i was seeing from complete raw with her so we put her back on kibble in the AM. She eats roughly 3 cups of high quality kibble in the morning (about 7 AM). We do however feed her the ground product in the evenings and this isnt until around 6 PM. I think this allows the kibble enough time to digest. If you mix the 2 and havent given either one or the other enough time to digest your going to know it as your Lab will have an upset stomach. :sick:

curiouslearn
July 17th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Wow, 3 Dogue de Bordeaux! That must be fun. Thanks for all the information. The reason I asked about the skin was that, I remember reading that initially dogs may have trouble digesting the fat. I will perhaps keep half of it then.

Thanks.

luckypenny
July 17th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Of the things you suggested, could you tell me which one would be easiest to digest for him.

If you're feeding kibble as well, then I'd recommend something meatier than a neck or wing in order to keep his diet balanced ie. the raw portion should be 10-20% bone with the rest being meat. Both wings and necks have more bone than meat.

Should I keep the skin...

Personally, I remove the skin, cut it up, and then feed to our dogs. I've witnessed too much gagging and throwing up from our guys when it's not chewed properly :o.

Would one chicken leg drumstick be too much for a meal?

I wouldn't think so...we feed our foster as much and she's only 27lbs.

curiouslearn
July 17th, 2009, 09:31 AM
That piece of information about the skin was helpful. I will do that. Tomorrow morning will be his meal with one chicken drumstick. That will be about 14 hours after kibble, and his next kibble meal will be about 5.5 hours after that.