Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

:( what are the chances

dogcatharmony
July 16th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I was just out back weeding my raspberry bush and Zoe got to hunting mode. I semi-paid attention because usually she is just chasing phantoms in the grass.............:sad:

Stupid me.......then I heard the squeaking.............

and Zoe ate two babies..........

I don't know if they are mice or moles.....they are just newborn, still pink/grey, little black slits for eyes...only thing open was their little mouths. Maybe an inch long.They were rolled up under the thick grass in a ball of moss.

I think one died while I was trying to roll it back in the mound of moss. One was still moving, the other not.

I brought Zoe in the house immediately......what are the chances of momma going back for the one little one?:sad:

Man that bums me out..........I can't be mad at Zoe.....she is a predator...but the poor little babies.......man what a bummer. Didn't need to see that..:cry:

CearaQC
July 16th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Awww

I'm no help to you because I don't know. But poor babies.

Mom might definitely go look to check out the crime scene though. But there may be time yet for another litter before winter.

dogcatharmony
July 16th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I am so crushed right now......never had something that tiny in my hand......I tried not to touch them too much......but I had to pick them up to re roll them in the moss. Man......this is tough

ancientgirl
July 16th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Poor little ones. :sad: Hopefully the mom will come back and help the other one.

dogcatharmony
July 16th, 2009, 06:46 PM
And the question I really really don't want to ask.......but I dont want to be surprised by it if it happens, because I really think I would lose my mind........what are the chances that Zoe will bring up the two swallowed babies??? So sorry.......but can she get anything from eating them?? Ohhhhh goodneess.............:sad:

The thing is I could see the cats doing something like that.....I don't think I would have a problem with that.......cats are well .....cats. Okay...I would still have a problem with it....but ......Zoe??? I think I have a harder time wrapping my head around that.......

Now it's pooring rain out........and all I am thinking is hope I put the baby up high enough in the grass, but low enought to keep warm.....

coppperbelle
July 16th, 2009, 08:16 PM
:yuck:
Someone I know had a dog who once at a mole or a mouse. She said the gas was the worst thing she had ever smelled in her life. I laughed until a few days later when my Chloe was laying beside me and all of a sudden I smelled the worst dog fart ever. I could hear her stomach growling and sure enough a little while later she vomited up a ball of fur. :yuck:
I had to watch her for tape worms. Since they were baby mice or moles I don't know if they could be carriers.

Oh and don't worry in a few weeks that momma mouse will be having another litter.

hazelrunpack
July 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I doubt they were moles, which give birth underground, and mice usually nest in more protected places, but it could have been mice. :shrug: They might even have been newborn bunnies :shrug: Ours occasionally find bunny nests...inside the fence, where the mother has often been chased out multiple times by the Pack and still decides to nest inside the fence :yell:

If there are any survivors, the Mama has always come back to feed them.

Chances are, Zoe will digest the babies with no trouble. Dogs naturally catch and eat rodents...her digestive system is well-designed for it. Tape worms are a possibility, though, so you'll have to watch for them. But I expect she'll be okay.

:grouphug:

Tundra_Queen
July 16th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I would worry that zoe could get worms. U could give your vet a call and ask maybe?

Debbie

Gail P
July 16th, 2009, 10:42 PM
There is the possibility of worms but other than that she should be just fine. My dogs eat mice all the time as my chicken coop is literally infested with the little pests. They're in the loft and cut the twine that holds the hay bales together and nest in it, they're in the walls ruining the insulation, under the floor and everywhere else in the coop as well. They go running every which way when I go in. Of course they're after the chicken feed. The dogs love to hunt them and eat them :yuck: Very rarely one might be vomited up, but considering how many they've eaten in the past it hasn't happened very often. Sorry, I know to some of you this may sound heartless but if you had to deal with the mess and damage that so many mice cause you honestly wouldn't feel much sympathy for the mice. Every surface they can get on in the coop stinks of mouse pee (they'll even go into the nest boxes and pee/poop on the eggs). We get some in our house too :yell: Can't use poison with so many animals around so I let the dogs hunt them and I make sure to deworm all the dogs as needed.

Now if they were baby bunnies Zoe got...:sad: Those I can feel sympathy for. :rip: