Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ifeel terrible now...

dreaminrainbows
August 14th, 2004, 11:27 PM
I took my kids to the local Humane Society yesterday and they had the sweetest terrier X, she is cream coloured, 2 years old and just so sweet, but was she ever dirty (a stray that was picked up that morning)

So we put our name down for her, but someone else had already done so. I figured we wouldn't get the call, so I put it out of my mind. I know I'm not truly in a position to even get a dog right yet, I still want one.

They called me this morning....:( I had to say no.....

I feel just awful, I see so many dogs that need a good home, and this is a GREAT home. I may not have a lot of money but I'm almost always home, there are kids here for him/her to play with and I love animals.

I have had sooo many people tell me that getting a dog is a big responsibility (like I don't know that) and I had a lady tell me yesterday I should wait til my kids are older before I get a dog, well when my kids are older I have to get back to work....I'd rather be here while my dog gets used to us and I can get it used to being crated etc when I do have to leave it. Did any of you get a dog when your children were still very small, under 2?

Cactus Flower
August 14th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Well the beagle I had was with me before my son was (she was around seven when he was born)- does that count? :D

Why did you go to the Humane Society if you weren't ready to get a dog?

I can barely stand to walk through the place when I am looking for one.....so depressing....want to save them all.

dreaminrainbows
August 14th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Oh I'm ready to get a dog, but I'm not quite financially as ready as I need to be.

We usually go just to see if they have any smaller dogs, they don't often have them. I couldn't believe it when I saw her either.... feel awful for even putting my name down, $$ is a little too tight right now and I won't even be home hardly at all next week so not a good time to bring a new dog in the house, as much as I want her, it wouldn't be fair to her.

How did your dog react to a new baby in the house?

Cactus Flower
August 14th, 2004, 11:48 PM
this is a GREAT home. I may not have a lot of money but I'm almost always home, there are kids here for him/her to play with and I love animals.

So what's stopping you? Sounds as though you have everything a dog could want. You've got a good point about going to work when the kids are older, too. Now is the best time, when the dog would have you there day and night.
Just research some breeds to see which would be best around small children. I personally think that labs are one of the easiest-going breeds, and very good with kids. The folks on this site will be able to recommend others- they are quite knowledgable.

Do you have any other pets?

Cactus Flower
August 14th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Sorry, your reply wasn't there when I was writing my second one. It showed up at the same time I posted mine.

Oh, my beagle (Dacia) was very pouty for a while after I had my son, but I made sure to give her every bit as much attention as before, and include her in things I did with my boy. I'd have my son on the floor on a blanket, and I'd be showing him his rattle and toys, and I'd be sure to call Dacia over to sit on the blanket with us and participate, be "part of". She never had any aggression towards him, and she loved him in spite of herself lol. She was my "baby" before I had him.

If you're not going to be home it would be a bad time to adopt. I just didn't understand putting yourself through that, going to the shelter, when you knew you weren't financially able to get one. Maybe your heartstrings just pulled at you when you were there and you couldn't resist, then when you got home and away from all those imploring adorable eyes.....you knew you really shouldn't have put your name down. Am I getting close?

dreaminrainbows
August 14th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Nope no pets right now. I'm allergic to cats so no worries about cat envy, and we had a Hamster but she died on Good Friday :(

I would love a lab, but my house isn't big enough for a lab and with two babies I want to make sure that they don't get laid on :D Seriously though I would love a Beagle or something of that nature, I loved my dog I had as a child, she was a hound/spaniel cross and the most wonderfully good-natured dog. My dad has had many many small breed dogs and almost all have been very good with kids, but they didn't live with kids full time. My brother has Boxers but I can't even imagine having room for a boxer here lol!

I am sick of people telling me that "now is not the time to get a dog..." I'm not jumping into it, I'm not going to take the first puppy/dog that comes my way.

dreaminrainbows
August 14th, 2004, 11:58 PM
Maybe your heartstrings just pulled at you when you were there and you couldn't resist, then when you got home and away from all those imploring adorable eyes.....you knew you really shouldn't have put your name down. Am I getting close?

Ya that is pretty close....I'm such a sucker :( I love dogs, I absolutely love dogs and this is the only time in my life (since I've been on my own with kids) that I haven't had a dog. It seems almost unfair to my kids not to get the benefit of having a lifelong friend in their own dog, ya know?

Cactus Flower
August 15th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Well yes, it is wonderful for children to have a furry sibling :D

I wouldn't recommend a beagle unless you have a securely fenced yard- their temperament would be perfect, but they pick up on a scent and dash off frequently. If you don't have a securely fenced yard (they dig, too), you'd have to let the beagle out for potty breaks on a leash- every time she had to go. With two little ones to care for, this might become highly inconvenient for you.

Ok so you have a snug and cozy living area (sounds better than "small" :D )
and therefore would prefer a smaller breed. Hmm. To be honest, I find that the smaller breeds are nippier than the big lugs, and that worries me in regards to your kids. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to that, and hopefully others will post with recommendations.

goldenblaze
August 15th, 2004, 01:46 PM
am[/I] looking for one.....so depressing....want to save them all.

I agree with you, why go and get the animal hopes up if you are not ready or can't afford a dog!

I have 2 dogs and no childern and I tell you I work to keep my dogs happy and healthy, alot of money is needed to own pets and that must be something you know before walking in a spca.
If you can't have a dog yet then way not help at the shelter and take your kids with you, walk the dogs and give them some one on one that is rewarding aswell.

I can't go to our spca I can't see the animals in the cages but I do go 4 times per year to the door and give food, toys blankets and a small amount of money. I take my dogs for Santa photo's as all money goes back to the shelter but it is held at a different location. :p

Start small and you will grow as you are able.
Take Care :)

Cactus Flower
August 15th, 2004, 02:10 PM
That is a terrific idea, Goldenblaze!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wAggie
August 15th, 2004, 07:32 PM
i was actually on petfinder and hs looking at the pointers.. damn, i'm such a sucker for them :o

Luba
August 15th, 2004, 08:05 PM
U think thats bad Aggie
Just go into petfinder type in pointer for texas and see the hundred of them dumped there in rescues it's disgusting.

wAggie
August 15th, 2004, 08:15 PM
i typed it in, and nothing came up for national, regional, or expanded... then i looked closed at my search selectiong... i was searching for a pointer CAT. :eek: :o :o

but OMG, UR RIGHT, ontario's got 3 pointers (2 of which are the same animal, go figure) and TX has 39!???????????????????????!!! :mad:

:( :( :( :(

wAggie
August 15th, 2004, 08:16 PM
OH ****, those were "ADULT MALES"!

in total, it's 181!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luba
August 15th, 2004, 08:27 PM
yup lots of them, so sad :(

heeler's rock!
August 15th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Hey Dreamin! I think there needs to be more people in the world like you. You seem like you have put a lot of thought into owning a dog and the responsibilities that are required. There will never be the "perfect" time to own a pet, just like there is never the "perfect" time to have kids. No one knows if they'll always be in the same job, make the same amount of money, or live in the same house. If you wait until you're "secure", you'll never get a dog. For example, I have 3 dogs and I just lost my job. It's not the most ideal situation but I'm not giving up my dogs because of a temporary lack of funds. I have bills to pay and such aswell and I don't have the biggest house. Heck, I don't even have a back yard yet, but I make it work because I know my situation will improve. If you want a dog and you know you can afford it's food, give it lots of love and attention, why shouldn't you get one?You know you're finances are going to get better when you start working again, and right now you are home to help the dog adjust to you and your family. Most shelters make sure the dog is up to date with it's shots and spayed or neutered so that saves you money right there. Plus, unless your dog gets really sick unexpectedly, you only have to go to the vet once a year for an annual check up. I just think if you want a dog and know that you able to commit the time and devotion to it, then you should go ahead! :D
As for a type of dog to get with little kids, you should look into a bichon/****zu cross. They don't shed, they are super friendly, cute, and they do get along with kids from what I've been told. You always have to be careful with babies around any dogs but bichon/****zu's have a really friendly disposition. They are a bit high energy as pups but if you find an older one, maybe a year or so, they calm down quite a bit. Good luck with your quest to be ready for a dog and I know when you get one, your dog will be very lucky to have you!!! :D

heeler's rock!
August 15th, 2004, 09:30 PM
It censored out my dog breed suggestion! I didn't know how to spell it, but I meant a bichon/shi tzu cross!!!! OOOOOPPPPSSSS!!! Sorry about that!!!! :o

wAggie
August 15th, 2004, 10:19 PM
there's PLENTY of good dogs out there, not just that breed... :rolleyes:

no offense, but seriously, eh?

heeler's rock!
August 15th, 2004, 11:12 PM
I know there are a lot of good dogs out there, and I didn't say only bichon/shi tzu crosses were good dogs. I have 2 heeler crosses and a border collie and they're excellent dogs. I just heard that bichon/shi tzu's are good with kids, and they're small. I've never owned a small dog so I was going on what I heard. I also volunteer with a rescue organization here in calgary that only gets reserve dogs. They're always huge dogs so I have no idea what small dogs are good with kids. That's all, no need to get defensive about good dogs. I know how many are out there, and how many need homes.

wAggie
August 15th, 2004, 11:14 PM
i c, thanx for clearing it up... we wouldn't want biased opinions floating around on this board. :)

heeler's rock!
August 15th, 2004, 11:20 PM
No worries. I like all sorts of dogs so I'm most definitely not biased. I'm a bit partial to heelers though as my first dog I ever got is a heeler. I think that all dogs are great in their own way though. :D

wAggie
August 15th, 2004, 11:25 PM
heelers are GORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGEOUS dogs :)

(Remind me of pointers :p :D )

heeler's rock!
August 15th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Thanks! I love them to death! I have a border collie too that is just awesome! Pointers sound great too from what I've heard. I don't know too much about them but judging by your pictures, they seem very happy!!! :D

Writing4Fun
August 15th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Hey Dreamin'. I have 2 boys - a 5 yr old and a 10 mth old. The 5 yr old was born when our first dog (Murphy, a Lab/ShepX) was 8 years old. She was well socialized with children and loved him as much as she loved us - there was never any jealousy or other issue when we brought our baby home. She passed away when our son was 3, and he misses her still. Our new puppy (Phoebe, a Shep/CollieX) came into our home when our second son was 8 mths old. She absolutely LOVES the kids, and the feeling is quite mutual! :)

Yes, having the kids and puppy is A LOT of work - but would any of us have it any other way? ;)

We took both children with us when we went to select the pup, and specifically chose a puppy who seemed to accept the kids with no undue nervousness or exciteability (our only preconceived requirements were that we wanted a max 3mth old puppy, female, and she should be a med-large sized dog when full grown).

IMHO, a puppy's socialization and character are much more important than selecting a specific breed, equally as important as your children's actions and attitude towards the puppy.

Good luck!! :D

krdahmer
August 16th, 2004, 11:43 AM
I too know the heart wrenching visits to the humane society. I used to go and walk the dogs to help out, and I haven't been in months...so thanks for this thread, I think I'll get off my lazy behind and go today. I know ahead of time that I can't bring any home, but I at least like to take them out and let them have some fun outside of that cage! It's the cats whose cages are near the door I need to worry about, last time I came home with two! I can't wait to be able to foster... I have to get on my husband about this buying me a house business!!! ;)

wAggie
August 16th, 2004, 04:59 PM
pointers can be very easily described as "ku-ku-krazy!"

lmao, can be either extremely hyper OR patient. what a history!

dreaminrainbows
August 16th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Thanks so much everyone!

Heeler's Rock & Writing4Fun I may have to show my mom this thread. She is the one who keeps saying "just wait", and my heart just hurts when I think about all those animals out there that need a home!!!!

I can't wait to share with you all my new addition!

dreaminrainbows
August 16th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Oh and I'm open to most smaller/medium sized breeds, I think the puppy/dog will choose us, not us choose him or her :)

wAggie
August 16th, 2004, 09:43 PM
heck, if i waited for Chocolate to pick me... LMAO

at the shelter, he gave me, u know, the puppy dog look every animal gives ... so anyways, I'm crouched there in front of this 10 wk old puppy (chocolate) and the second I open the gate, he's already crawled under my legs/butt and is running from end to end barking happily at every locked dog "i'm free, i'm free, look, look! i'm free!"

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHa

just sharing a happy memory :o :p :D

dreaminrainbows
August 16th, 2004, 09:51 PM
What a cute story!!! Sheesh you made me think of one...

When we went to pick out my puppy when I was like 9 they had a bunch of puppies, they had these two in one cage and one was biting the other ones ear, and she looked sooooo sad. I guess they had been really severely beaten and fed table scraps, the male was very agressive and the female was very submissive...

I took the female home..named her Patches...she was my baby (I miss her terribly)

...oh another quick memory...she wouldn't bark, you could bang around, come screaming in the house etc etc and she would not bark, until one day my brother got down on the floor and barked at her, and all of a sudden she squeaked this little bark...

*good memories*

Luba
August 16th, 2004, 09:51 PM
So go take a look at the dogs posted for adoption on this site :D

dreaminrainbows
August 16th, 2004, 09:55 PM
I do every day!!! :)

Luba
August 16th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Poor little Joey

Joey
Dog
Bichon Frise

Size: Small
Sex: Male
I.D:
http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/ON108/ON108.3113636-1-x.jpg
Notes: Joey is approximately 7 years old and is good with other dogs and cats. He is a very friendly, quiet bichon boy, and is approx. 16 lbs. in weight. Joey was found as a stray but is farily well housetrained and believe he will do well with a little extra encouragement. Because of being so very matted, Joey is getting shaved down but his coat will soon grow out nicely and he will once again be a fluffy bichon baby! He has had he vaccinations and is neutered, as well as having recent dental work completed. He only has 2 teeth left but eats a mixture of dry and wet food and does very well. Joey responds to many voice commands and gets along well with all people, including children. If you are interested in Joey, please contact Carol below.
Happy Tails Rescue
Toronto (GTA), ON

carol@happytailsrescue.ca

Luba
August 16th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Oh my goodnesss you HAVE to see Reno she is beautiful!!

I emailed asking if they took her to a vet yet.

Reno
Dog
Cocker Spaniel,Dachshund Mix

Size: Small
Sex: Female
I.D: 058

Notes: Reno is a young adult but we truly do not know her age although she acts like a puppy in her enthusiasm and glee for life. I am guessing at her being crossed with a dachshund but body length suggests that. Reno has us partially confused. We think she is either in heat, just had a litter or is pregnant. Not always easy to tell. Reno would, therefore, need a home where she would either be spayed when she ready or be taken care of until after her puppies were born. We would take the puppies if that is how things worked out. Anyone interested in the suspense and intrigue of Reno should honestly consider adopting her. She is a sweet and loving girl who will give back much more than she ever takes.

Moosonee Puppy Rescue
Bracebridge, ON
705-764-1478
sharron.purdy@sympatico.ca

http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/ON129/ON129.3248125-1-x.jpg

wAggie
August 16th, 2004, 11:36 PM
AWWWWWWWWWWWW, what a story, dreaminrainbows!!!!!!!!

i'm sure u miss her dearly, every animals had a spot in our hearts... :)

thanx for sharing that wonderful story... i guess that dog "sounds" like my dad's gf's dog, who doesn't make a peep!

and we went camping w them a few yrs back for a wk, and STILL nuff! :confused:

hah. lucky them ;) i can't get 20 min of peace... meh, that's life. ... and i love it! ... i think :eek:

:D