- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

hit and run cat question

July 16th, 2009, 12:42 AM

a stray that used to hang around in the area and i would feed when he came to my balcony was hit a few mins ago by a car in a hit and run.. a neighbor pointed it out, and i went to the street and saw the cat lying there, lots of blood on the ground near his head - it wasn't breathing and limp - his eyes were dilated and open, his tongue out. nobody was stopping, so i picked him up and took him to the side of the road - and just held him. after a few minutes i took him to the housing complex across the street where i think a few irresponsible owners have pets and left him there - some people from the complex came to complain i was leaving it there and suggested i take it back to the street. i refused this, and then placed him under a tree. i called animal control and they said being midnight, they couldn't do anything, but may send someone tommorrow to pick up the body.

i am just wondering if i did the right thing? i am now second guessing myself and wondering if i should have done CPR or taken it to a vet or something else. It didn't appear to be breathing, but I am no medical expert and am hoping someone knowledgeable on the forum can answer. i feel a built of guilt abandoning it under the tree alone, but i'm not sure what to do. I saw it's brother come to the street at the time the neighbor alerted me to see his brother killed, and it ran off..that was sad..

anyone experienced this before?

July 16th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Take the cat to the emergency vet in your area - it will at least have a proper cremation that way and the body will not be attracting wild animals or strays looking for a meal that might also be hit.

July 16th, 2009, 01:17 AM
These types of situations are so difficult. I agree with growler's suggestion.