Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chipmunk saved!

Helene4
July 15th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Kira :cat: caught a chipmunk at the end of June. We saw that it's back legs were basically just hanging there, useless. I took out my old budgie cage and we put "Alvin" in there with food, water and a good pile of cotton. I called a wildlife refuge: they told me Alvin probably had broken bones and to keep him for a week. If at the end of the week he made progress, it would be a good sign. If not, he would probably never get better. I was afraid he was paralyzed for life :sad:

Some days I wouldn't see him at all, he would stay in his cotton nest. That was fine with me; I didn't want him to get used to us or too tame. I knew that he did come out of his nest when I wasn't there: the sunflower seeds were emptied, the peanuts and walnuts were eaten as well as the field strawberries (he loved those!)

After 7 days, we allowed him to roam in the bathroom, supervised at all times of course, to see how his legs were doing. Things were going GREAT! We finally set him free 4 days after that. All in all, he was with us for 11 days. Both hind legs were healed :thumbs up . Unfortunately he lost the tip of his tail, I guess the tailbone couldn't heal...

It's just amazing how wild animals can bounce back. Sometimes all they need is rest and time does the rest. Take care Alvin!:)

NoahGrey
July 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I really don't know what to say about this. Good on rescuing the chipmunk, but leaving it to suffer with broken bones for a week, to see if he "might" recover.

I mean how do you know that he doesn't have any internal injuries and how d you know that he has properly healed? A number of things still could be wrong and cause suffering.

He should have been taken to a wildlife rehab center, where he could have been observed and treated accordingly.

ACO22

BenMax
July 15th, 2009, 04:21 PM
ACO22 - in defense of this person - wildlife rehabs barely exist here. The waiting list is incredible and the vets here are not allowed to treat any wildlife. Check it out if you wish but I know first hand as the vets will not even euthanize. The alternative is bringing the animal to the SPCA where the animal will be humanely euthanized but they will not investigate as to what is wrong and obviously then will not treat.

To the OP - thank you for taking the time and care to help this little soul. 9 out of 10 people would have ignored this little one.:grouphug:

Jim Hall
July 15th, 2009, 04:44 PM
good going yeah for alvin and she did call arefuge and did what they suggested

Tundra_Queen
July 15th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Helene, good for you! thank u for rscuing this little fella and taking care of it like u were told to do! I think it was a very caring thing for u to do. I'm so glad Alvin is now back where he belings.

Debbie :)

Helene4
July 16th, 2009, 06:27 AM
ACO22, if you have access to a wildlife rehab, good for you. I don't have that luxury. The refuge I called is the only one in my area and they told me right away they would not take Alvin. I'm in my mid-forties and have lived with and observed animals my whole life. I'm not a "professional animal savior" but I know when an animal is suffering; Alvin was not suffering when we set him free. I'm proud to say I have saved wild creatures before and some of my stories would bring happy tears to your eyes; they would make a great Disney movie!

In the wild, animals get sick and get injured. Do they jump off a cliff to end their suffering? No, they find a quiet place to recuperate. Sometimes they recover and sometimes they die. That's life. Do they suffer? They probably do but in my opinion, animals tolerate pain and deal with it much better than we do. I gave Alvin a helping hand: a quiet and safe place to recover, which he did. If he had stayed in the forest, he might also have recovered but I decided that with my 2 cats and 2 dogs it was better for him to be confined in a small and secure environment.

A partrige once flew in my window. Should I have quickly grabed it to euthanize at once in case it had internal injuries or was suffering? That is not my way of thinking. I gave it the time it needed to regain it's senses and 30 minutes later it flew off. I believe in giving every animal a chance to heal.

If I had to do it over again, I would. To Tundra_Queen, Jim and BenMax, thanks for your support. I was beginning to regret posting this story.

Jim Hall
July 16th, 2009, 07:48 AM
your welcome some folks dont realise how tough some areas are for assistance . have you seen alvin?

i did that with a squirell once and the guy wanted to stay !!!:laughing:

BenMax
July 16th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Helene4 - do not regret posting your story - it's one of inspiration and also of compassion. Because I live in Quebec, I understand the difficulty in finding refuge for wildlife. Ontario is different and therefore the residents there do not know about our dilemmas and problems. ACO22 being in the field and seeing horrors is in fact a loving animal person - she comes off sometimes a little rough - but it is not her intention.

Please do post and tell us what is happening on your side of the world. It's all relevant, educational and informative.

Best to you and keep posting.:thumbs up

Melinda
July 16th, 2009, 08:01 AM
way to go Helen!!! I also rehab wildlife and had a baby groundhog in the same situation, he's running out there free somewhere after enjoying our hospitality for 5 weeks!! Birds in my window get the "heat" treatment till they come out of shock, then off they go.

ancientgirl
July 16th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Thank you so much for taking this little guy in and helping him. You did what many would not have done.

NoahGrey
July 16th, 2009, 09:07 AM
A partrige once flew in my window. Should I have quickly grabed it to euthanize at once in case it had internal injuries or was suffering? That is not my way of thinking. I gave it the time it needed to regain it's senses and 30 minutes later it flew off. I believe in giving every animal a chance to heal.

As I do, hence why I work as an Animal protection Officer, and work for the Humane Society that I work for. If you know what you are doing..then I commend you. I see alot of inexperienced people who will take in wildlife, don't know what they are doing and in the end the animal ends up suffering. I don't understand why a wildlife refreg, would state to wait a week and see if it recovers. But that is just me. The animal should have been either been looked at asap, or humanely put down. I guess what I am trying to say, is that what if that animal had not recovered. This animal has suffered for a week. I just don't know of a wildlife rehab to let an animal sit and wait it out with extensive injuries.

ACO22 being in the field and seeing horrors is in fact a loving animal person - she comes off sometimes a little rough - but it is not her intention.

Thanks BenMax.

ACO22

Jim Hall
July 16th, 2009, 09:17 AM
again you do the best you can and ontario mmay be heaven for wildlife but it dont happen in other places arond here you have twochoices do it yuor self or have em put to sleep

BenMax
July 16th, 2009, 09:17 AM
ACO22 - here in Quebec there is very little help for animals. We still gas animals here so maybe this will give you an indication on how behind the times we are here. The mentality in Quebec is very different than most provinces. Trust me when I tell you that there is virtually no wildlife animal rehab centers here. There is one for birds, but even they do not take certain types of birds.

On a personal note, I brought in a starling that was suffering to an exotic pet vet due to being rejected assistance from a regular vet. Even the exotic pet clinic refused me. I bribed them with $75.00 to please euthanize the bird. I got a lecture from them that they normally do not accept wildlife...but this would be the only exception. I do know that someone brought in a suffering ground hog and were turned away. This is our reality.

CearaQC
July 16th, 2009, 09:52 AM
In the Gaspe area of Quebec there isn't even an animal shelter. No SPCA, no wildlife caregivers, nothing. Some people are trying to get a shelter together, but there's a severe lack of funds and people don't seem to want to donate.

Consider yourself lucky if you have a wildlife center.

If a partridge (ruffed grouse) flew into a window in our community, people would say oh goodie free supper and break its neck. They wouldn't try to save it.

But we don't even see ANY partridge now because the government thought it was a great idea to reintroduce coyotes into the area. We heard them howling all winter and I found "parts" laying on the ground outside, along with various bones. Now deer numbers are down and I haven't seen a single partridge since June 2008. And we never heard any males drumming last year at all. We were hoping the dogs would flush them out just so we could get a count but didn't see any. Very sad.:sad: We have 100 acres of woodland and don't kill wildlife here, so it's our own kind of sanctuary and we keep an eye on wild animal poo and tracks.

Haven't seen any chipmunks either or heard chattering in the woods at all so far this year.

So good for Helene4 in saving that little furry critter. You did good. :thumbs up

sugarcatmom
July 16th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Yay, thanks so much to you Helene4, for helping out this little guy. You're an angel and you did the right thing. I woudn't have done anything different.

To ACO22, I know you mean well, but you're a tad off-putting with your patronizing comments. There are other people on this planet that actually do know a thing or 2 about animals. If this chipmunk really was suffering internal injuries, it would not have been eating.

Chris21711
July 16th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I really don't know what to say about this. Good on rescuing the chipmunk, but leaving it to suffer with broken bones for a week, to see if he "might" recover.

Man, here you go again, always putting the damper on things.

He should have been taken to a wildlife rehab center, where he could have been observed and treated accordingly.

Not everywhere has a wildlife centre available, being in your field, you should know that.

ACO22

To ACO22, I know you mean well, but you're a tad off-putting with your patronizing comments. There are other people on this planet that actually do know a thing or 2 about animals. If this chipmunk really was suffering internal injuries, it would not have been eating.

:thumbs up

Chris21711
July 16th, 2009, 05:30 PM
way to go Helen!!! I also rehab wildlife and had a baby groundhog in the same situation, he's running out there free somewhere after enjoying our hospitality for 5 weeks!! Birds in my window get the "heat" treatment till they come out of shock, then off they go.

Mine too Melinda, I have my stuff all ready with the heating pad awaiting....Every year I get 3/5.....always the same window that has 6 stained glass gizmos hanging to deter them...maybe I should take them down :shrug:

Tundra_Queen
July 16th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Helene, I'm glad u told your story!

I have had chipmunks in my gardens for over 20 years, one year they had babies and there were 13 of the little sweeties running aroun. :laughing: If one of them got hurt I would of tried to help them as we don't have a wildlife place up here and I live in Ontario.I have nursed a few birds back to life too over the years. It's just the way I am. So good for you!

Have u seen Alvin since u released him?

Debbie

Helene4
July 17th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one saving little critters.

No I haven't seen Alvin. I work 5 days a week and for some time now every weekend all we get is rain, rain, rain so we don't spend much time outside. But I hear chipmunks chattering all the time. I think I have more chipmunks this year. The adults did have babies because Alvin is a teenager, not quite adult size.

I basically live the bush so I always have wild animals around. My yard looks like a golf course not because of the perfect lawn (mine is rather a field of clover and wild flowers!!!) but because of the chipmunk holes :laughing: I just found a new one yesterday morning. However if Arielle :dog: sees the chipmunk jump in the hole, she starts digging and I end up with a bigger hole :wall:
Now deer numbers are down and I haven't seen a single partridge since June 2008. And we never heard any males drumming last year at all. We were hoping the dogs would flush them out just so we could get a count but didn't see any. Very sad.:sad: We have 100 acres of woodland and don't kill wildlife here, so it's our own kind of sanctuary and we keep an eye on wild animal poo and tracks.

Haven't seen any chipmunks either or heard chattering in the woods at all so far this year.
Boy, that is so sad. I'm lucky to have other wildlife around here. A fox and partridge spent the winter with us and every winter I see hare and lynx tracks near the house. I've also had bears in the yard but that is more stressful :frustrated: For 2 years now a partridge has stayed really close to the house drumming it's chest every 5 minutes in spring and fall telling everyone this is his place. Strangely enough, the dogs and cats can be only 10 feet away from him when he is drumming but they don't react at all :shrug:

Besides having normal poo and pee, Alvin started grooming himself the second day he was with us. I took it as a sign he was feeling better and was not suffering.

I don't blame the wildlife refuge for not taking Alvin. The founders of this centre, Michel and Louise Pageau, have helped countless animals over the years. But they have their hands full right now with orphaned bear cubs, moose and all the larger animals. They have limited human and financial resources so I understand. We are lucky to have this centre in our region. Here are a few links: http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/show_wolves.html and www.refugepageau.ca The english version of this last link doesn't seem to work but there are photos.