Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm upset. :-(

Tundra_Queen
July 15th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Hi
I just got some news today that has bothered me. I have been waiting to know if I was chosen to be the one to adopt a long haired kitten from our rescue. The lady just emailed me to tell me that I am only allowed to have 4 animals in our home according to the bi law of our town.

I'm upset. I don't know how we can be told how many animals we can have seeing as it is our own home and it's a single family dwelling and our cats are indoor and the dog is a guide dog. It's not like we want to house farm animals. It just has me stunned! I guess that means I won't be allowed to foster cats either. :cry: And on top of that I get a call from a friend telling me she has a stray cat there and was going to get her hubs bring it over to me to take care of as she is extremely alergic. Plus a few other bad things happened today too, so it hasn't been a good day. *sigh*

I think I should of stayed in bed.

Debbie

BenMax
July 15th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Oh boy Tundra Queen. Well if I interpret this correctly, you probably will not be able to adopt this cat through this agency.

I have 5 cats, 1 dog of my own and 1 foster pup. My limit is 2 according to municipal bylaw. If someone were to complain - I would be screwed (actually I would just move). Knock on wood that this does not happen.

Can you foster - yes. You would require something written from the rescue stating that you are fostering. Is there anything that you can get in writing that the cat is a foster (permanent foster in small letters :D)

If you really want another cat - find the cat outside of this particular rescue. They are being diligent mind you-but there should be a way around this if this cat could be considered a permanent foster....

Na - you don't want to be in bed all day....hit your day head on. Everything will be ok tomorrow.:thumbs up

edwina
July 15th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Another reason i like living in the country on agricultural land. :frustrated: As long as you are taking care of them, and there not disturbing any of your neihbors, what is it anyones business how many animals you have. :mad:

ancientgirl
July 15th, 2009, 03:18 PM
There's something like that in the books in Miami as well. Legally, you are not allowed to have more than 4 dogs in your home, any more and you have to get a kennel license. But that doesn't stop a lot of people. I've got a friend who has 6 dogs and at least 2 cats. I don't know if there is a separate law for cats. :rolleyes: I don't care since who's going to actually know how many cats I have in order to report me. My own landlord doesn't even care how many I have:D

Can't you just lie and say you have 3?;)

14+kitties
July 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM
So get your friend to bring over the stray kitty that showed up. It is probably more in need than a cute kitten who will likely be adopted. Keep mum about it. No one need know.
By laws are a tricky thing. See if you can go online and see what they actually say.
They tried passing bylaws in this area saying so many per house, no roaming cats (yeah, right! We all know how well that works!), and 10 cats per farm. There was such a hoopala over it all they didn't pass it into law.

dogcatharmony
July 15th, 2009, 03:58 PM
:grouphug: what a bummer.

These by-laws just make me mad sometimes. You can jamb as many humans as you want in a house and nothing is said. But you want to have a few cats, or a few dogs and you are a RESPONSIBLE pet owner......and nope...can't do it. Oooppsss sorry for the mini rant........I just don't get it:wall:

BenMax
July 15th, 2009, 04:09 PM
So get your friend to bring over the stray kitty that showed up. It is probably more in need than a cute kitten who will likely be adopted. Keep mum about it. No one need know.

I agree with 14+K - this abandoned homeless one is really the one that needs help. Sometimes they come to you and not you to them.....there is a reason for this disappointing call, and a reason this homeless cat is within your reach. You can turn this around and make a difference to one that is needy.

Tundra_Queen
July 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind and encouraging words. The reason I wanted to adopt from our only rescue is because I'd pay the adoption fee and it would include the needles and spaying etc. I couldn't afford the 700.00 or so it would cost otherwise. I can afford the food and litter but not the other. The kiten/cat at my friends house is going to be taken care of, she is going to call the rescue if the cat comes back and see if she can catch it and give it to them.

I am going to ask the rescue about that permanent adoption paper though...that is a good idea. I don't know if they would go for it as they seem to be sort of rules people even though they don't have any support from the town. But I am going to try.

Thanks, I'm going to write the email right now. Wish me luck!

Debbie

TacoGrl
July 15th, 2009, 05:19 PM
That's funny in a sad way...City Council here is working on passing a bylaw to allow 4-6 chickens per yard within the city!

I can see what a limit on animals is trying to do, but really, the hoarders it is meant for aren't going to pay attention to the bylaw. :rolleyes:

Love4himies
July 15th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I agree with 14+K - this abandoned homeless one is really the one that needs help. Sometimes they come to you and not you to them.....there is a reason for this disappointing call, and a reason this homeless cat is within your reach. You can turn this around and make a difference to one that is needy.

Perfect words, BenMax. Things always happen for a reason :cat:

Smiley14
July 15th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Oh, that is so sad! I'm so sorry!

I'm in the same boat though. My city has a maximum limit of three pets . Because I have three dogs, I can't get another cat. :( I knew that when I added Jelly, but it's still sad as I see so many kitties needing homes and I know I could so easily give a great home. :(

lUvMyLaB<3
July 15th, 2009, 07:57 PM
yes, here it is 2 dogs and 2 cats, but the catch is 2 cats OVER 6 months of age, I can have as many as I want under 6 months! Seen as I have ooooooodles of baby cat experience i get all the babies to foster. I only had one cat, so the mother and the kittens would not put me over, but that female made me fail, her name is Princess rainbow starlit, ( gues who came up with that one?) SOOO now I have 2 cats.. BUT with fosters they will over look it. There are many people that go over, I don't think if you are just one over anything would happen..

That is very sad that they wont let you have the little kitty you wanted :( silly silly.. the limit should be more, especially here, 2 cats? I mean that is crazy there is no reason if you have a big house, like ours in 3600 sq. feet.. you can happily fit more than 2 cats in here! what matters is that they are well taken care of, and a limit of 6 or something where the numbers start to cross the line and get out of hand for most people, but only 2 cats, or 4 animals in total that is silly....

Something should actually be done about that. Think about it, if they changed the limit to 3 cats, how many more cats could be saved? Why not 3? I grew up in a normal bungalow house, and we had 3 cats, that was no big deal! Personally I just ignore it, but them not allowing you to save a cat, well that just SUCKS!!! there must be a loophole somewhere??

Tundra_Queen
July 15th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I'm feeling a bit better.

My friend called me back tonight and she has called the town. They have another stray cat that is declawed and I have found out it has been out in the rain for a couple of days as she saw it under a cedar tree at night when it was raining. They called the rescue and they said to call the town. So if the cat isn't claimed she is going to say they want it if no one claim it. I told her to feed the poor thing some chicken. she said it is very friendly so I'm thinking indoor cat got out and doesn't know where it lives. But if no one claims it, it will be coming here!

I just read that someone threw 6 baby kittens onto someone's yard last night when it was only 8C about 5 weeks old and the momma cat is missing! *ugh* How can people do that???

I got a email from the rescue lady and she said no she couldn't put the kitten I wanted as a "permanent" rescue, that they had to follow the bylaws. But she said there is no problem with fostering, so I reminded her I was up for fostering any time.

I still don't understand if the cats are indoor only why I can't have more as so many need homes, but maybe they will let me foster and at least I will be doing some good.

Debbie

Debbie

TacoGrl
July 15th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I still don't understand if the cats are indoor only why I can't have more as so many need homes, but maybe they will let me foster and at least I will be doing some good.

Debbie

They have the law to try to prevent "Lady found dead with 52 cats in various states of dispair in her home"...however, I am sure this law doesn't really prevent this from happening...just limits law biding citizens from having more than 4 animals sharing their homes.

As for the kittens left on the stoop, I too don't get it.

Tundra_Queen
July 16th, 2009, 01:21 AM
TG, yes I understand that part. But this town is so small, if someone was keeping that many cats the whole town would know. It just seems a shame that the number can't be increased. maybe it's time I call the mayor.

Debbie

clm
July 16th, 2009, 05:34 AM
There's a 4 pet rule in Mississauga too, but I never did learn how to count. :laughing:

They aren't pets anyway, they're my kids.:D

Cindy

ownedbycats
July 16th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Really check the bylaws. We went to register my Misty and her kitten for their licenses. we were going to register all the animals in my dad's name for ease of payment even though Misty is mine (I would have given him the money later). We were told that each person was only allowed 2 cats, +2 dogs + i forget how many small animals and Dad already had Dr. Seuss registered under his name. The key here was each person. As long as different people owned the cats there was no limit to the number of cats per house. The by law restricted only cats per person. I registered Misty under my name and all was well. You might find a loophole like that.

Love4himies
July 16th, 2009, 10:53 AM
They have the law to try to prevent "Lady found dead with 52 cats in various states of dispair in her home"...however, I am sure this law doesn't really prevent this from happening...just limits law biding citizens from having more than 4 animals sharing their homes.

As for the kittens left on the stoop, I too don't get it.

You are right, this is a mental illness that can't be controlled by legislation, another ignorant law made by our gov't :rolleyes:.

Tundra_Queen
July 16th, 2009, 04:37 PM
There's a 4 pet rule in Mississauga too, but I never did learn how to count. :laughing:

They aren't pets anyway, they're my kids.:D

Cindy

That is exactly how I feel,,,they are my babies. My son tells people he wants to come back as a cat in his mom's house as they have it better than he did! :laughing::laughing:

Really check the bylaws. We went to register my Misty and her kitten for their licenses. we were going to register all the animals in my dad's name for ease of payment even though Misty is mine (I would have given him the money later). We were told that each person was only allowed 2 cats, +2 dogs + i forget how many small animals and Dad already had Dr. Seuss registered under his name. The key here was each person. As long as different people owned the cats there was no limit to the number of cats per house. The by law restricted only cats per person. I registered Misty under my name and all was well. You might find a loophole like that.

Thanks, our by laws says 4 per dwelling.

BUT I DO HAVE GOOD NEWS! *BWEG*

Somehow when I came back home from physio this afternoon...mirabelle was able to clone herself! It's a miracle!! Now there are two of her..i'm guessing the clone is a she. :D The clone got a bit dirty and the fur got a bit rough looking in the duplication process and the eyes are green in the clone,,,but they still look identical! I have to find out how Mirabelle did it and get a patent on that sucker! :laughing:

Ms. Clone was tired after all that energy going thru her body to get her exactly the same colour as Mirabelle, so she is resting in the bathroom with the cage, a blanket, water, litter box, and food. I did forget toys but I will go put some in once she has some rest.

So that is my news. Does anyone else need a clone done? I can talk to Mirabelle and see how much she would charge ya. Probably just a nice piece of chicken. :D

Debbie :D

dogcatharmony
July 16th, 2009, 04:44 PM
:laughing: that is so funny! WTG!! Aren't cats amazing!!!:thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
July 16th, 2009, 06:29 PM
thanks DCH...yep they are amazing! :laughing:

I just went upstairs to spend some time with Ms. Clone and I gave her a nice brushing to try to bring the white back from a greyish colour. She absolutely loved it! :laughing: She flopped right down on the side of her head then rolled over and let me do her tummy. Then rolled back over the other way. :laughing: She did give me a nip though, I think it was one of those "ecstatic" kind of "I'm in heaven" nips as it didn't hurt. But when she tried again I told her no. I'm nervous around her a bit cause I don't know her and she is a cat, not a kitten. So I'm just taking it slow with her. I don't think she has used her litter box yet. But she is eating her food.

I gave her some toys, but I don't think she knows what to do with them. I just put them in her crate in case she wants them later on.

I will try and get a pic of her later.

she was growling when she got here so I hope she can get on with the cats and with Tegan.

Debbie

hazelrunpack
July 16th, 2009, 09:25 PM
What a smart girl, Mirabelle! :highfive: Can't wait to see pics of Ms Clone!!! :D Congrats, TQ!

Tundra_Queen
July 16th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Hazel here she/he is.

Luvmypitgirls
July 17th, 2009, 02:15 PM
(sigh) I have a confession to make.
I am breaking the law:sad:, yes it's true, I am a "criminal" of sorts.
You see, a few years ago, our municipality passed a bylaw stating that there can only be three dogs per household.
They stated, it's because of people who are not responsible owners :frustrated:

Ahh yes punish everyone, including dogs that need homes because of a few bad apples...yep that makes sense.

I have had up to 15 dogs here at one time (including my own). Luckily I have awesome neighbors that believed in what I was doing. Many would have been euthanized had we not opened up our house to fostering.

Sadly because of this bylaw, many more dogs will die in shelters. Also, if you are a foster home to dogs, you still can't have more than three dogs at one time. They don't accept letters from rescues, and they only seem to give out kennel licenses to BYB'ers, yep just what the world needs!

I will continue to break the law in our new house, as our son is still living with us with his dog. I will not get rid of him, or return him to the rescue, so we will have to live on the sly so to speak. It's ok, we love him and he's worth it.
If I have to pay a huge fine every month, so be it. Our son figures he would be moved out in another 6 months, but a recent accident at work that crushed his hand will probably delay that to a year now.

If I can afford to feed and vet, and I'm a responsible "guardian", and my dogs are loved beyond belief, then what business is it of the local government how many dogs I have.:frustrated:

ancientgirl
July 17th, 2009, 02:33 PM
You know, I think in some instances unless someone snitches on you, you can get away with it. It's harder for dogs though, since you need to register them for a license.

Tundra_Queen
July 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM
(sigh) I have a confession to make.
I am breaking the law:sad:, yes it's true, I am a "criminal" of sorts.
You see, a few years ago, our municipality passed a bylaw stating that there can only be three dogs per household.
They stated, it's because of people who are not responsible owners :frustrated:

Ahh yes punish everyone, including dogs that need homes because of a few bad apples...yep that makes sense.

I have had up to 15 dogs here at one time (including my own). Luckily I have awesome neighbors that believed in what I was doing. Many would have been euthanized had we not opened up our house to fostering.

Sadly because of this bylaw, many more dogs will die in shelters. Also, if you are a foster home to dogs, you still can't have more than three dogs at one time. They don't accept letters from rescues, and they only seem to give out kennel licenses to BYB'ers, yep just what the world needs!

I will continue to break the law in our new house, as our son is still living with us with his dog. I will not get rid of him, or return him to the rescue, so we will have to live on the sly so to speak. It's ok, we love him and he's worth it.
If I have to pay a huge fine every month, so be it. Our son figures he would be moved out in another 6 months, but a recent accident at work that crushed his hand will probably delay that to a year now.

If I can afford to feed and vet, and I'm a responsible "guardian", and my dogs are loved beyond belief, then what business is it of the local government how many dogs I have.:frustrated:

Thanks Luvmypitgirls. I am a very law abiding person, but this law I can't follow. We love our animals and take good care of them. I can't cannot help an animal when I am able to.

Debbie