Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help!! Dog had two seizures in one day!!

sunniB
July 15th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Hi Again. After a recent horrendous seizure ordeal, my 5 yr old schipperke dog was immediately taken to his vet. I had previous posts to that effect. He checked out fine and his blood work came back normal. My relief was short-lived; nine days later he looked as though he was chewing on something and his mouth was foaming profusely. Next he started shaking, paddling and almost choking on this foamy substance lathering from his mouth. Although devastating to watch, the ordeal seemed shorter in duration and seemed milder. Immediately he snapped himself out of it and began running, playing and seemingly acting normal. A few hours later the same thing happened only this time he tried walking on shaking legs and kept falling over. It was heart-breaking to watch, but I was told by the vet to leave him alone. Once again he came out of it and was acting perky like nothing had happened. He even ran around in the yard and went potty. I even examined it and could see nothing unusual. It was so strange. My vet has given me no answers whatsoever; she is baffled at his young age and that she's seen him since birth and has had no history of illness and that he's been in good health.

I've searched everything in my yard and made a clean sweep of everything in my house for any evidence of possible injestion of something, but can't seem to find anything he could've gotten into. My dog has always had a habit of putting everytyhing (and I do mean EVERYTHING) in his mouth since puppyhood. Several people have told me he could've "licked a frog" and gotten ill from it, but that sounds kind of far-fetched. I even wondered if he somehow had gotten into my denture tabs at one point because of the effavesant, but that's not feasible.

He has been generally a very healthy dog up until now and has never missed a vet check up, shots, meds or anything else required to maintain good health. His appetite is also normal/healthy. Before anyone suggests I take him to a specialist for a battery of tests, let me just say that I can't afford to do that at this time. I'm hoping for any/all suggestions or possibilites that might give any hope to an otherwise clueless situation. Essentially I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered something similiar to this and possible outcomes or even remedies.

I'm at my wits end (always waiting for the other shoe to drop) and don't know what to do. I'm not a young woman, so this has been very trying and diffiucult to deal with. If I could just get any light shed on this, I'd be forever grateful. Thank you for any/all replies.:2cents:

BenMax
July 15th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I cannot shed any light on this but I can only offer you some good vibes.:goodvibes:. I hope everything goes ok and you get the answers you need.:grouphug:

sunniB
July 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM
thank you for your good wishes:fingerscr

aslan
July 15th, 2009, 07:30 PM
it sounds very similar to epileptic seizures. Yes a dog can be poisoned by licking certain frogs, but it would show up in a blood test. Kinda wondering, has your vet tried anti-seizure meds for the poor dog.