- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Assisted Feeding Cat...Breathing Issues...?

July 14th, 2009, 09:17 AM
It is me again, with yet another problem! Tiger Lily (who has been on assisted feeding for a week, almost) has suddenly started... panting (?) I'm not sure how else to describe this... Her breath definitely seems to be coming in faster than what I've seen before, and she make these little noises when I try pick her up; sort've like little moans. Looking at her stomach, sideways, from a distance, it is almost like she's trying to throw up. But this has been going on for the better part of an hour. She doesn't seem any more lethargic than what she's been over this week. I'm not sure what is wrong!

I'm taking her to the vet right now, but figured I'd post on here to get some insight as well. Will come back and log another update.

Once again, thanks a lot for everything! :)

July 14th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Yup, I'd be taking her to the vet ASAP. Could it be that she aspirated some of the food? The vet is the best place for her, but for sure let us know what happens. :grouphug:

Hoping that isn't anything serious:fingerscr. You have enough on your plate!

July 14th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Hi! Thanks again for the post. Tiger is at the emergency clinic as we speak. Apparently, she's developed pneumonia in her heart... and this was the catalyst for her liver problems. She was inside an oxygen chamber when I left her, still heaving, struggling a little to breathe. I'll log in more updates tomorrow.

I know I've been rather short in this post, but I don't feel like writing a lot. Nevertheless, I hope all of you know how much I appreciate all the help. Thanks again!

July 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I just got a call from the emergency vet. Tiger started to really struggle to breathe inside her chamber, started arching her back and trying to throw up. They took her out and she vomited blood and some phlegm. They tried attaching a catheter into her, but she wouldn't take it and vomited bloody phlegm again. When they placed the call to me, she had stabilized a bit, but was still having issues breathing. At this point, the doctor isn't sure about her prognosis. And I was informed that she was declining as compared with the time when I brought her in. I guess my baby isn't doing too well, huh? I'll keep the hope, and see where that takes me.

Thanks again for all the support.

July 14th, 2009, 05:26 PM
:grouphug::grouphug: I am so sorry to hear about Tiger :cry:

Don't give up hope, cats are survivors and some pull through some pretty amazing illnesses.

Sending some :goodvibes::goodvibes: Tiger's way.

July 15th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Just wanted to send some :goodvibes: :goodvibes: for Tiger :grouphug:

July 15th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Dear all:

I'm going to write a rather long update on Tiger Lily, so even I can know what happened...These days, I somehow tend to forget stuff! :)

Anyhow, as I'd said earlier I'd taken Tiger to the vet Monday and the prognosis was still the same, elevated liver and kidney counts and her body temp had come down a bit, but she wasn't doing any worse than what she was before.

But on Tuesday she was having difficulty breathing, so I took her in again. The doctors finally did an x-ray (I don't know why they did not do it before. I did not ask them to do one either! Guess having a 'first' pet is a lesson for all the next that follow. Tiger's liver count was high, and because of that, and her not eating, we all just assumed it was something to do with the liver.) Anyway, the x-ray showed something in her chest. So, they gave her Lasix to reduce the fluids and see if what was clouding her chest x-ray was indeed fluid or something. After about 3 hours of waiting (it takes that long for the medicine to work, apparently), they took another x-ray but the cloudy part stayed the same.

At that point the vets informed me that it was sort've out of their league and hence they're going to wait for an ultrasound, and a radiologist to come in to see what was going on. But she was having such a hard time breathing and I wasn't sure if we could wait a whole day. So, me and Tiger... We decided to travel the 40 miles to the Emergency clinic.

They took her into Emergency at about 5:00 PM and put her in an oxygen chamber. She was still having trouble breathing, but wasn't getting any worse. The doctor looked at the x-ray's and consulted with their radiologist, and informed me that Tiger had pneumonia in her heart and probably some fluid as well (we don't know how or why) and her liver was enlarged (not as bad as we'd initially thought) and her kidneys were elevated too. They wanted to put a catheter into her veins to get some fluids into her (I'd not fed her yesterday since she was having respiratory issues, and took her to the doctor as early as 8:30; she'd not eaten anything since then.)

Anyhow, Tiger did not take the catheter well (hissing and spitting at the vet's again, as always; she hates being handled by the vets--talk about being doglike, huh?), but I was able to calm her some they tried again. The second time was a little more successful, but her breathing started becoming worse.

Apparently her kidneys needed the fluid, but her heart was shutting down if we did give her fluid. And she started arching her back and looking very uncomfortable, and then proceeded to throw up this bloody vomit, with what looked like phlegm. So, the catheter was taken out, and Tiger came out of her oxygen chamber, only to throw up once more. Anyway, she calmed a little after that; but at about 11:00 PM threw up again, with the same kind of discharge/blood combination. At that point I was informed that her prognosis was getting poorer (doh!)

Anyway, we tried Lasix again to reduce the fluids, and Tiger got a little better. But just before 12:00 AM her heart stopped; I'd indicated that I wanted to try and resuscitate, so they did that. It took a LONG time, but she finally came back and was breathing on her own (even though it was sort've erratic.) She'd not regained her consciousness but the respiratory machine stopped breathing for her and she was doing that on her own.

The doctors were SO positive that she wouldn't make it through the night, but being the non-conforming cat that she was, Tiger did come through the night. She was still unconscious, but her breathing was definitely getting better (she wasn't struggling so much with each breath.)

But I guess her little body could only take so much... After fighting for so long, Tiger chose to let go at about 8:00 AM. I can't blame her; I'd have given up awhile back. Not her, though. That little spitball!!

Anyhow, I'm not taking Tiger back home with me. I'm going to leave her here to get cleaned up a bit and I'm going to come back and pick her up tomorrow as my spouse would like to see her too. I wasn't sure about the cremation/burial option, but since she loved to go 'out' so much, we're thinking our backyard'll be the place where she'll rest.

Anyhow, it has been only about 30 something hours since I'd showered/eaten/generally cleaned up etc. And of course, I've Tiger's vomit and hair all over my clothes; not to mention tear and noserun stains. Grrrr! So, anyway, I'm taking Tiger's kitty-cage and my books and I'm going home. I'm only about, oh, I don't know 24 hours late for my 48 hour final. But if given a chance to do all this over again, I'm positive I'd do the same thing. Tiger deserved this and so much more. She was SUCH a special girl, and Lord knows I'm going to miss her!

Thanks again for the notes, advice and of course the good vibes. Being the attention-loving-cat that she was, I'm sure Tiger Lily would've appreciated them too! :)

July 15th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Oh no, I'm so sorry! My most heartfelt condolences on Tiger Lily's passing. You fought so hard for her, I'm sure the love she felt from you helped ease her transition. Thanks for looking after her and giving her such a loving home. :grouphug:

July 15th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Oh no, I am so sorry :sad: :cry:.

:rip: Tiger :candle:

July 15th, 2009, 08:51 PM
:cry2: I'm so sorry :2huggers:

:rip: sweet :angel2: Tiger Lily :candle: She is playing at the Rainbow Bridge ( with those who've gone before :candle: