Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Eating litter and Lethargic.

twilight1180
July 14th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Hi

I am just wondering if anyone has advice or similar exp. On friday my 5 yr female cat threw up twice. Sat she laid around would not eat or drink. Sunday she started eating a little and drinking but still lethargic. Monday eating a bit more and drinking, Today eating and drinking even more. On Sunday I noticed after she ate her food she went to eat her litter and that has continured.

On Monday I took her to the vet. They took xrays and did bloodwork (results should come today) Basically my vet seemed more interested in pushing services then giving me any suggestions or possible causes so I left there more in the dark then when I went in. I'm wondering if any of you had a similar problem with your cat. They gave me anitibiotics and told me she needs an ultrasound for a mass near her tummy that could be anything from an infection (she did have a temp) to cancer. So I don't have 300 for the ultrasound and am in the process of trying to beg and borrow for it but am so worried and confused. The vet totally ignored the eating litter symptom and I don't know what to do! She has shown no signs of pain and each day improves but I don't want to take any risks.

Also does anyone know of any organizations or anything to help with vet bills? I have a very caring and helpful family but so far no luck - times are tough and the money is just not there but I will find it one way or another I just don't want to take too long , I want to help her now!

Winston
July 14th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Im sorry you are going through this...maybe this will help. I am not familiar with it but have seen others post the link here:

http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/whycc.html

Good Luck and let us know how you make out! :thumbs up

Cindy

sugarcatmom
July 14th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Sorry to hear about your kitty's problems. Sometimes cats that eat litter or dirt are suffering from anemia, but the blood work should be able to determine if that's what's going on.

As for financial aid, here is a good website with lots of links that might be able to help:
http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navId=163#National_Organizations_with_As sistance_Programs

Good luck!

growler~GateKeeper
July 15th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Litter eating is commonly a sign of anemia or an imbalance of calcuim in the body, though I'm suppose there could be other reasons as well.

Do you know if she was eating litter prior to when you saw her on Sunday?
What type of litter are you using? When injested enough clumping clay litter can form an unpassable ball in the stomach/intestines.