Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet stores

meggie1425
August 14th, 2004, 03:43 PM
This is just something ive always wondered. I know that its not good to buy pets from pets stores because then your supporting mills and byb's, but
does anyone know what happens to the pets in the pet store if they dont get sold. Or do they just stay there untill they are sold?

-Megan

Lucky Rescue
August 14th, 2004, 05:30 PM
I know that lots of kittens in pet stores are KILLED if they are not sold by a certain age. The "merchandise" has to move!

As for puppies, not sure. They may go back to the mills they came from, to be bred to death.

melanie
August 14th, 2004, 05:57 PM
i dont know about puppies and cats here (australia) i have only ever worked with native animals. but birds, fish and reptiles here that are not sold, and are lucky enough to live that long are killed. but that is rare as these sml animals dont often live that long anyway, if they dont sell they die pretty quickly. they are kept in horrid conditions, often far to small that the animal can handle and birds are kept in lg numbers out the back of most stores in sml averies, its pretty sad and a shocking way to exist. poor babies.
as lucky said, these animals are merchandise, nothing more than another product and their life value is based on that.

Luba
August 14th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Well let me tell you about a store well known and in a LOT of shopping malls that sells puppies.

They turn them over to a vet, whom just so happens to be managed by the same manager for this pet store. They are paid to euth the puppies if they are sick or not selling.

Many times the staff and vet will not do it, and take it upon themselves to try and adopt out the dogs.

However, some ofcourse don't get adopted.

So yes, pups get pts for no good reason other then costing them more to keep them because they're not selling!

Cinnabear
August 14th, 2004, 09:40 PM
They also get shipped from store to store. I had received a dog that was purchased from these stores and the paper said he was 8 months old when purchased. I know that I've seen up to a year old in some. :mad: How awful for these pups to go through that.