Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chicken Ribs

chiirioz
July 12th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I am new to the BARF diet-- I'm feeding my dog half premium canned food and some kibble mixed with crockpot chicken and vegetables and sometimes some cooked oats (this was her normal diet) and her second meal is BARF (I've gotten some ribs, ground meat, cheap steaks, and whole chicken). She gets some yogurt because she used to be on antibiotics for an ear infection (like, a tablespoon) and every so often (half) a (raw) egg. (I have read a lot about the whole all-meat vs some-veggies and I think I'll continue giving her a little bit of vegetables and grains).

I just started her on a whole raw chicken and just getting over the bones brainwash ahhaa. She's a 25 pound, larger terrier. I just shaved her because it's so hot here and she's so skinny. That is why I am worried about the rib bones in a chicken that are so tiny.

She usually chews her food but watching her eat the leg and wing, she finishes it so fast and sometimes just coughs the whole thing back up without really ripping meat off, chews it, breaks the bones a littttle more then swallows it back up again. She's ok but I'm worried about trying something bigger and if the tiny rib bones are a problem....

oho and one more question. How do you feed a dog fish? Boneless? Canned? Raw?

List
July 13th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I feed my 2 dogs and 3 cats a raw diet. More so the modified prey model (ie no veggies or grain). They do awesome on it.

Your dog will be able to handle chicken rib no problem. All my cats (8lbs, 11lbs and 25lbs) can handle pretty much any chicken bones. I regularly give them thighs and drumsticks. Oh, and they all handle pork ribs perfectly well too. So I think your pup will be fine.

For fish, my dogs usually get whole raw sardines or mackerals. They aren't super huge so they can handle them no problem. On the odd occasion they'll get canned. But usually raw.

chiirioz
July 13th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Thanks! Wow whole sardines with the skin?

bendyfoot
July 13th, 2009, 09:42 AM
it's pretty normal for dogs to regurgitate if they've wolfed down a meal without chewing well...ours do it on occasion... all our dogs and cats eat chicken backs with the ribs etc and do fine with them.

lia12
July 13th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Bendyfoot is right, dogs who gobble will usually bring it back up then chew it. I have a small terrier who eats chicken wings and thighs and will gobble the whole thing without chewing then gag it up and chew it. Raw fed pups are weaned on chicken backs , necks and wings so I wouldn't worry. Raw chicken bones are very soft. All my dogs get yogurt twice a week, eggs, cottage cheese and juiced veggies. I also add fish oil every day. I would stay away from grains as lots of dogs develop allergies from it.