Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

one testicle

Kassiaethne
July 11th, 2009, 07:21 PM
We took in our kitten today to get fixed and it ended up there was only one testicle that dropped and the doctor did remove this one and then told us to come back in a month or when he starts spraying to see if it drops and he can remove it. I already had a issue (not something physical just he gave me a bad feeling)that I really dont seem to trust this vet (my normal one went on vacation for a month) and I feel horrible having trusted him to a man who didnt even weigh him before giving him anesthesia. I know I should have said something but being as I trusted my husband at the time (I dont speak portuguese very well still, a bit better than before but still not enough to catch vet terms) and he hadnt even given oliver the right dosage the first time. Poor thing I Heard him squeal and the doc had to give him more before going back to try again. I am kinda worried all around about him and I really am wondering if it is normal to wait so long to see if it still drops. The estimated birthday of oliver is feb 15th and I thought you usually just search for it and remove it from the inside. I just know alot of you are quite knowledgeable in these things and my current vet is on vacation so I cannot even go to her and ask or have him checked.

Thank you for your time

Winston
July 11th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I would suggest checking with your vet when he returns! doesnt sound like your kitty is in very good hands!

Welcome to the site :thumbs up

kathryn
July 12th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Hello! I actually work in a spay/neuter clinic. Retained testicles in cats do NOT drop. I've asked several vets and it's a common misconception. Retained testicles (cryptorchidism) need to be extracted with an incision into the abdomen just like you would spay a female cat. Sometimes the testicle can be found in the general area of where it belongs, but other times you just need to fish around down there until you find it and can extract it.

Also, cats do not need to be weighed prior to being anesthetized for a spay or neuter. It's very common to be able to guess how much a cat needs to be given. It is also very common for an additional dose to be given. You generally want to underestimate then overestimate, as you can always go back and give more.

The most common drug they would use would be telazol which is very safe and effective. You could easily show me a picture of your cat and I could tell you how much anesthesia I would give him.

I would find another vet because this one is just going to rip you off by charging you twice for a procedure that should have been done all at once, but with an additional charge for the retained.

Have a great afternoon! Good luck.

Tundra_Queen
July 13th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Hi

Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm sorry to hear about poor Oliver. I would just wait for your regular vet to come back from vacation and tell her what happened and see what she says. Hopefully Oliver won't start spraying.

I got both my males fixed at 6 months and they hadn't started spraying yet. So hopefully Oliver won't either.

Debbie