Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Herpes in cats

Sara1585
July 11th, 2009, 08:26 AM
The vet for my foster cat is saying that he may have herpes as he is regularly getting eye infections. Any suggestions about something I can do to try any prevent infections from coming up or treatment?

BMDLuver
July 11th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Herpes is a virus so unfortunately viruses do not respond to antiobitics but the resulting infections do...... meaning that they will most likely always re-occur until the virus has run it's course. In Herpes case, I think it's a lifetime thing but could be wrong?

sugarcatmom
July 11th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Herpes, aka feline rhinotracheitis, is a lifelong condition. Many cats actually have the virus and it's the most common cause of URIs. Stress can be a big factor in when/how it manifests, so it's beneficial to try keeping the cat's environment as stress-free as possible. Feed the best food you can (meaning wet food - either quality grain-free canned or a balanced raw diet - no kibble), and try supplementing with L-lysine powder (available at a health food store or drug store). 250-500mg twice a day mixed into food while symptoms are present should help.

Sara1585
July 12th, 2009, 08:55 AM
He had an outbreak, so infection was present and he is almost done his medication now and it seems to have worked. He is also getting the Lysine. I have been told that they should get the lysine all the time even if infection is not present as it is a preventative. I have also giving my other cat the lysine as a preventative since he has never had any URI symptoms before and he is not very friendly so medicating him would not be easy.

sugarcatmom
July 12th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I have been told that they should get the lysine all the time even if infection is not present as it is a preventative.

Some people do keep their cats on a maintenance dose of lysine, some only use it when symptoms occur or during stressful times. A fairly standard maintenance dose is about 250mg per day.

growler~GateKeeper
July 12th, 2009, 07:44 PM
What symptoms are showing? Is it just the watery eyes or is there nasal discharge & sneezing as well?

There are a couple of homeopathic remedies used to treat FVR but for a kitten so young you would need to speak to a homeopath vet for potency/dosage.

For watery, burning, itchy, red etc eyes due to colds, virus etc Oculoheel (http://www.heel.ca/pub/datasheet.jsp?product=50) can be given 1 drop per eye 3 times per day for 5 days. I've used this on my cat via homeopath vet recommendation for watery eyes of unknown origin and it cleared up by the last treatment day & hasn't returned.

Sara1585
July 15th, 2009, 07:07 PM
His eyes are always watery but then the green/yellow discharge started and that is when I took him into the vet. He was sneezing a little bit but no discharge.