Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anal gland problem

hunnybunny
July 11th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Has anyone any experience of this my sisters dog has suffered with her glands for ages, she is a 7yr old collie x springer
The vet has suggested anal gland removal surgery

She was told this can in rare cases lead to incontinance so is not sure what to do.

The dog gets really distressed at having her glands empty poor thing .
She has a good diet with added bran which was recomended by the vet.

Any advice i can pass on please.

Winston
July 11th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Hunnybunny my boy had a couple of boats with anal glands and he certainly wasnt happy at all! The food change worked for me! I went from vet prescribed food to Orijen which has a much higher meat content in it. When we had difficulty I used pumpkin, yogurt and also Pentax Baby Cream to sooth his bump when it flared up.

I dont know much about the surgery I am sorry! Good Luck!

BMDLuver
July 11th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Friends had their golden done and he turned into the most lovely dog afterwards. Before he would be grumpy and snapping as he was constantly in pain. They tried many alternatives prior to doing the surgery but I know they don't regret having done it now.

Sylvie
July 11th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Friends of mine have the same problem.

They are going ahead with the surgery next month.

hazelrunpack
July 11th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Our Gauge had similar problems, hunnybunny. We went ahead and had the surgery done. There were no complications.

If your sis can find a vet that's done a lot of the surgeries and is willing to answer questions about his success rate, it might make her feel a bit better about having it done. There is risk of loss of sphincter control because the nerves can sometimes be damaged when the glands are removed. So an experienced vet would be an advantage.

hunnybunny
July 11th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks guys for the advice, i think my sis will probably have the surgery done as the poor dog does get miserable with her bottom probs, bless her.