Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

9 yr old British boy attacked by Akita dog

CearaQC
July 10th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Boy, 9, left needing plastic surgery after being mauled by Japanese Akita dog

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1198861/Boy-9-left-needing-plastic-surgery-mauled-Japanese-Akita-dog.html

Just read the article this morning. Looks like the UK wants to put the Japanese Akita on the Dangerous Dogs act.

BenMax
July 10th, 2009, 10:33 AM
One dog, one incident - so let's deem them all dangerous...way to go!:wall:

I feel for the parents and the child - I really do but where is the reasoning here?? Cake, unattended dog and kids. What a combination.

Let me say that my min pin would also bite - so let's deem all min pins dangerous dogs. What?? Ok because she is small - absolutely not! A dog is a dog, a bite is a bite - but acceptable because of size. I wonder how many other little breeds get away with big dog bad behaviour?

CearaQC
July 10th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I wonder how many other little breeds get away with big dog bad behaviour?

I agree 100%.

But in the article, they are citing TWO attacks by Akitas. And they talk as if the boy was innocent and did nothing. Well we will never know what actually happened. They did say the dog was tied up outside on a lead. But I doubt the boy was taught how to deal with dogs and I think he went out there unsupervised by an adult.

I used to know someone with a Yorkie. That dog is the most bad behaved dog I ever saw. She would walk in front of her owner, like some sort of medieval herald announcing her presence. She would attack the vacuum. Bark at anyone wearing a hat or holding a stick (broom especially). Tie her outside and she barked at the world for no reason. Or more accurately, yap yap yap with a high shrill tone. Try to pet her while she's "guarding" a treat, even if you didn't know, and she would lash out and bite hard. The owner thought it was cute and funny and just laughed. :frustrated: The Yorkie also pooped and peed inside the house all the time because the owner never bothered to train her. That dog totally turned me off small dogs altogether.

ancientgirl
July 10th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I feel bad for the kid, but again, this is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I don't want to blame the victim, but you have to wonder if he might have been teasing the dog and that's why it snapped the way it did.

Dog Dancer
July 10th, 2009, 04:32 PM
How sad. I feel for the boy, and am glad that the dogs owners did the responsible thing and put the dog down (sadly as they'll never really know, but I do believe it's the right thing). And yes, I own an Akita X and if she bit somebody I would have her put down. But classing all Akita's as a dangerous dog is a bit of an overreaction indeed. Like the others, I've been attacked by a Maltese who's owners thought it was hilarious that the dog would bite my pant legs. Let me say if it ever connected with my leg I would have kicked the owner first. The fact that the dog was tied outside probably says more about the story than anything else.