Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sorry, this is a little icky, but I have a poop question.

ancientgirl
July 8th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Okay, I've been meaning to ask this but I keep forgetting. It's been bothering me for a while, but I'm very curious about this.

I feed all of my cats the same food and they all get the same treats. But, for some reason unknown to me, Czari's poop smells so much worse than the others. I'm talking toxic! I can literally tell when she's pooped because her poop is so distinctive.

Now, apart from when she had tummy issues a few months ago, she's always gotten a normal on all of her fecal tests, and her poop has had this rather distinctive odor ever since She came to live inside with me.

The only reason I can think of for the difference is she drinks more water than the others. Her poop is lighter in color and softer, whereas the others poop is darker and firmer.

Has anyone experienced this?

Jim Hall
July 8th, 2009, 07:36 PM
yup mandaanddu eat the same food but manda drinks a lot more water and the same thing happens

dogcatharmony
July 8th, 2009, 07:41 PM
My cat Phoebe had the exact same thing. She can stink you out of the house. And to top it off she doesn't cover her poop, mind you she probably can't stand the smell and needs to run for fresh air herself.

I started eliminating certain kinds of food. Now she eats Beef, Salmon and Duck only and we have no more stink. Well unless she sneaks a bite out of Amos' food. He gets all varieties.

And I don't know about the water thing, Phoebe very very rares has a drink out of her water dish. She gets all the moisture she needs from her wet food. And just a side note, I did talk to the vet about that, and he assured me that some cats don't drink often because of this reason.

ancientgirl
July 8th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Jim, thanks for answering. Makes me wonder if the water might have something to do with it.

DCH, Czari doesn't like beef, and duck made her sick once when I gave it to them. I give them Innova EVO Turkey & Chicken. I'm going to see if maybe I can order a different flavor and try that out.

sugarcatmom
July 8th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I'm wondering if maybe Czari would benefit from some probiotics. Sometimes extra stinky poop indicates an imbalance in the intestinal flora. My suggestion would be to try a high potency, multi-organism capsule like Natural Factors Ultimate Multi. You only need a pinch per meal, and if the other kitties eat some along with Czari, that's okay too.

ancientgirl
July 8th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I'm wondering if maybe Czari would benefit from some probiotics. Sometimes extra stinky poop indicates an imbalance in the intestinal flora. My suggestion would be to try a high potency, multi-organism capsule like Natural Factors Ultimate Multi. You only need a pinch per meal, and if the other kitties eat some along with Czari, that's okay too.

I've been giving them that exact probiotic for several months now, (a gift from a wonderful friend). They all get some in the morning, and I know they all eat it, because I put it in the middle of their food, and I shake a little bit if the ground treats on top. That middle part is what they go for first.:D When they've had enough, they leave a smushy doughnut looking thing on their plates. :laughing:

I'm going to mention it to the vet next time I take her in, which should be at the end of the month sometime. I want to have her checked out before I bring her in for her teeth cleaning.

Animal-Princess
July 8th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Okay, so you said something about "since she came live inside with me." So I am wondering, was she a stray? Because if she was, her digestive system and body might not be used to the type of food you are feeding her. I would try coconut oil just to see maybe if that will help. Any questions, you are welcome to ask about coconut oil.

ancientgirl
July 9th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Okay, so you said something about "since she came live inside with me." So I am wondering, was she a stray? Because if she was, her digestive system and body might not be used to the type of food you are feeding her. I would try coconut oil just to see maybe if that will help. Any questions, you are welcome to ask about coconut oil.

She's been living inside with me since May of 2008. Before that she'd been a stray for at least 3 years. I've tried giving all of my gang coconut oil, but the only ones who will even go near it are Vlad and Oksana. I've tried mixing it in with a bit of their food as well and the others won't touch the food if there is even a hint of it in there.

Love4himies
July 9th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Jasper and Sweet Pea used to have extremely stinky poops too, I had to eliminate all carbs from their diet to bring the stink down. They now eat Instinct and homemade raw.

ancientgirl
July 9th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I feed them Innova Evo. I don't believe that has any carbs. Maybe I can try a different flavor. :shrug: They don't like the beef, and the duck made Czari and Vlad sick, so my other option to try is venison.

ETA: I just looked on their site, and the cat and kitten formula, which is what I feed them states it is high protein and "low carb." None of the others state the. I have to pick up their food today, so I think when I order their next cast, I'll order a case of venison and see if I can slowly move them out of their current flavor.

Thanks L4H for the comment. Hopefully moving her away from that will help.

sugarcatmom
July 9th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I feed them Innova Evo. I don't believe that has any carbs. Maybe I can try a different flavor .

It is indeed low carb (3% calories), but my main issue with Evo Cat & Kitten, and possibly part of Czari's problem, is that it has so many ingredients. It's a pretty complex food, with turkey AND chicken AND herring AND salmon AND eggs AND cottage cheese, plus carrots (which are pretty much useless to cats) etc. Perhaps simpler ingredients, like those in the 95% venison, would be better for Czari.

ancientgirl
July 9th, 2009, 02:45 PM
It is indeed low carb (3% calories), but my main issue with Evo Cat & Kitten, and possibly part of Czari's problem, is that it has so many ingredients. It's a pretty complex food, with turkey AND chicken AND herring AND salmon AND eggs AND cottage cheese, plus carrots (which are pretty much useless to cats) etc. Perhaps simpler ingredients, like those in the 95% venison, would be better for Czari.

I'm going to order them a case of the Cat & Kitten, as well as a case of Venison. If I can't get the venison, I'll try the beef for them again and see if maybe I can make it more palatable to them. I'll try to transition them to something else and see if it helps.

SCM, do you think the beef and duck might also be better? I'm wary of the duck since the last time I gave them some, Czari and Vlad got sick from it.

I also wondered if her age might have something to do with it. She is older than the others by approx. 3 years.:shrug:

Love4himies
July 9th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I am not familiar with Innova, but the Wellness, grain free does give Jasper and Sweet Pea stinkier poops than than Instinct.

ancientgirl
July 9th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I used to give them Wellness grain free, and they got to where they didn't want to eat it anymore, not even with the little sprinkles of ground treats on top. I switched to Innova EVO and they have not had an issue with that.

I'm going to see if the place I get their food has Instinct and how much it is. If it's around the same price as what I pay now, I will ask if I can order the 13oz cans and give those a try.

sugarcatmom
July 9th, 2009, 06:21 PM
SCM, do you think the beef and duck might also be better? I'm wary of the duck since the last time I gave them some, Czari and Vlad got sick from it.

All of the Innova 95% meat varieties have simpler ingredients, but they also have a higher fat content than most other foods, so perhaps that was a problem for Czari and Vlad. Have you ever tried By Nature Organics? They're grain-free, meat only (no plant matter) and are lower in fat than Innova.

I also wondered if her age might have something to do with it. She is older than the others by approx. 3 years.:shrug:

I doubt her age is the issue. More 'n likely has to do with a sensitive digestive tract, perhaps from her previous life as a stray?

ancientgirl
July 9th, 2009, 06:48 PM
All of the Innova 95% meat varieties have simpler ingredients, but they also have a higher fat content than most other foods, so perhaps that was a problem for Czari and Vlad. Have you ever tried By Nature Organics? They're grain-free, meat only (no plant matter) and are lower in fat than Innova.

I doubt her age is the issue. More 'n likely has to do with a sensitive digestive tract, perhaps from her previous life as a stray?

Thanks for all of your help! They had a brand there called California Naturals, and the guy told me it had less ingredients than the EVO and was grain free.

I'm going to ask if they can order Nature Organics for me so I can try that as well.

And yes, I do suspect her former life as a stray may have something to do with her digestion. Hopefully, I can fix that once I get something more appropriate for her.

onster
July 9th, 2009, 10:43 PM
This isnt gonna help u at all..but just a similar experience.

It's funny cuz, bunduk also my former stray (altho really only for 8 weeks of his life max) also drinks alotttttt. From day one in his adoption cage his chin was dripping from water drinking...it was to the point I thought he had diabetes but his blood test came out normal. He cries for water at least 2/3 times during the day and I have a nighttime glass next to my bed for him to drink out of too (wakes me up once/twice for water).

Now let me tell you that cat's poop is VILE! He runs out of the box himself!! Like czari, covering of his poop seems beneath him :rolleyes: and Onnie has to do it for him.

Ive tried all sorts of food but i only get varying degrees of the intense stink. Worst was on Orijen because then he farted all the time too, hahahahah.

From one gas mask needing kitty mama to another..i wish u luck!! lol

ancientgirl
July 10th, 2009, 08:44 AM
This isnt gonna help u at all..but just a similar experience.

It's funny cuz, bunduk also my former stray (altho really only for 8 weeks of his life max) also drinks alotttttt. From day one in his adoption cage his chin was dripping from water drinking...it was to the point I thought he had diabetes but his blood test came out normal. He cries for water at least 2/3 times during the day and I have a nighttime glass next to my bed for him to drink out of too (wakes me up once/twice for water).

Now let me tell you that cat's poop is VILE! He runs out of the box himself!! Like czari, covering of his poop seems beneath him :rolleyes: and Onnie has to do it for him.

Ive tried all sorts of food but i only get varying degrees of the intense stink. Worst was on Orijen because then he farted all the time too, hahahahah.

From one gas mask needing kitty mama to another..i wish u luck!! lol

LOL, omg Onster you made me laugh. I would like to try getting them on something with less ingredients, and I'd even like to try the instinct, but I need to do a bit more research.

But Czari is just toxic! LOL, she's such a cuddle bug though, so you can't be mad about what she does. I'll tell you, even if her poop is covered it still smells to high heaven!

When I'm home and I know she's pooped, I just toss it right away! I have super high ceilings and that little cat's poop can smell up the entire apartment in a matter of minutes!