Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

It's time to leave my Quincy with a sitter for the first time since his illness

quincymycat
July 8th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Well, I am leaving for the cottage on Saturday morning and leaving my poor baby, Quincy, who has been through so much over the past 6 months.
I did find a great sitter, a vet assistant from my vet's office, and this makes it a so much easier to leave, but not completely. At least she will be able to do his meds and watch for any signs of recurrant problems, and she knows him from all the time he has been there lately.
I also know that this is the perfect solution to my fears of bringing him to the cottage with us as he will be happier and safer in his own enviroment, but still I worry.
Am I the only one who does this?
I am sure that only here a person can find support for these kinds of fears without being considered a bit strange.
Thanks.:highfive::pawprint:

TeriM
July 9th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Yep, we all hate leaving our babies behind :o. I'm actually really lucky that my mom is willing to take ours when we go away which eases a bunch of worry but we never think anyone can care for our furries the way we can ;).

I'm sure Quincy will be just fine :thumbs up.

quincymycat
July 9th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the support TeriM.
I know I spoke of this poor guy's problems in an earlier post - he suddenly became paralysed last January in all four limbs and could hardly even pick his head up off the floor. It took a lot of constant care to get him up and moving again, and he has improved remarkably, but of course is still abit less of jumper, but heh, I would have carried him around in a snuggly for the rest of his life if I had to - his mentation stayed full!
Then just as he was recovering from that, he was hit with a bowel obstruction and required surgery to correct that. He is on a great many meds - pred, benefibre, lactulose, propulsid, and of course I feel I am the only one capable of caring for him:lovestruck:
People here gave me many ideas of how to keep him safe at the cottage with 2 young kids along (my grandson and his friend are visiting from BC), but since I would still need someone for the 3 left behind at home, I was so lucky to have the vet assistant offer to help me out.
I still shudder and know the cell phone will be burning up for all of next week, but my fear is a bit less
TeriM, I used to live in North Vancouver a few years ago - off Montroyal above Edgemount Village. I liked it there, but being a easterner, the rain really got to me. I did love that area though.:D

chico2
July 9th, 2009, 07:43 AM
You are not alone,I hate to leave my cats even for just for a day:sad:
One of my sons come to our house and stays with the cats if we go away for longer periods,but I still worry.
Quincy beeing on all those meds,certainly needs someone with experience to look after him,good thing the vet-tech offered to help,I am sure he'll be fine:thumbs up

ancientgirl
July 9th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I totally understand. I haven't taken a vacation or gone on an overnight trip since I got Vlad. I don't like the idea of leaving them alone in the apartment for a long period of time, even if someone came to feed them. And taking them to a boarding place is also stressful because 1. it would cost me a lot and 2. they'd be in an enclosure the entire time. Not to mention, I'd miss them terribly!

I'm not a big traveler, but I did used to like going to spend a weekend in Key West now and then. Finding a place where you can at least know your babies are taken care of is very important.

quincymycat
July 20th, 2009, 07:41 PM
It was so nice coming home after the vet tech I had hired sat for my guys the past week. The house even smelled fresh! There were no messes and the best part, Quincy and the gang were happy and well cared for! Although happy to see me too. I am now very sure I made the right decision to leave him behind and not drag him into a strange enviroment.:D

growler~GateKeeper
July 21st, 2009, 02:20 AM
Good to hear everything went well :thumbs up

SnowDancer
July 21st, 2009, 10:22 AM
I don't travel with my Eskimo - well, he isn't going on a plane anyway. But our dog boarder - the only one my guy knows (and loves) has gone away for a few months. Fortunately, one of the vet techs at our Toronto vet's started a pet boarding business a few months ago - she lives in Stouffville but works in Toronto. She home boards and our guy knows her of course - and her husband is loved by every dog/cat he meets. They have 2 big dogs and a cat - even the cat loved our guy - note cats often don't care for Eskies. And because she is a vet tech that really helps if something goes wrong. She is someone you could think about should your vet tech not be available - came as heck of a shock to me when our dog boarder announed she would going out of the country for several months, 4 weeks before we were going away for 2 1/2 weeks (we booked last fall) - but things happen, so I am so grateful that this lovely lady was able to take him. Eskies need to be boarded in a home type environment - full time - visiting wouldn't be enough for an Eskie! Apparnently he was a super boarder - polite, well-mannered, sociable - our little devil! I suppose I should be grateful.

Love4himies
July 21st, 2009, 10:25 AM
I missed this whole thread :o

So glad that Quincy made out well while you were gone, and no, you are not the only person who worries about their kitties left behind. I am a confirmed worry wart :p and don't sleep through the night without waking up and wondering how they are doing. :o

quincymycat
July 21st, 2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback guys...some people really don't understand why you can get so stressed about leaving behind the kitties. Quincy was completely paralysed just 7 months ago and with his bowel obstruction, I was VERRRRY worried. This tech loved taking care of them and it seems they took a liking to her, even Dakota who never shows himself when a stranger is around came out ot take a peek at her.
I am covered in fly bites from my toes to the top of my head and I doubt Quincy would have done well with that either.I missed being in touch here. My grandson and his friend have almost completely monopolized my computer since we got back, so I may not be too frequent until they get along back to BC on Sunday, but I am thinking of everyone!
Happy to be back.:D