Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tales of a crazy tabby cat

Collies_Rule!
July 7th, 2009, 07:34 PM
My son & I adopted Abby when she was 8 wks old from a local shelter. She was adorable. It's the adorable ones you have to watch out for!!!

Abby has some rather strange habbits. I'm wondering if anyone out there has the same issues...or am I the only one????

Abby insists..no, scratch that...she DEMANDS...you feed her at 3:30AM every morning. She starts off with a small "meow" to let you know she is up. I usually roll over...mumble something...put the pillow over my head and ignore her. :sleepy:

After all...I get up every morning at 5:30am. That's early enough!

Abby then RUNS..like a mad cat on cat nip...around my bed....across my bed....over me....around my bed....back onto my bed...across my head...jumping on me...and off me....running around my bed and under my bed.

I continue to ignore it. I REFUSE to let her get her way!

Abby will then walk along my dresser, like a cat on a mission...she first knocks down my jewellery box...and then walks over to my alarm clock..and knocks it off the dresser. Because she KNOWS that will make me get up.

That use to work..and this stunt kept going on...so I came up with my genius idea.... :lightbulb: now I set my cell phone alarm to go off in the morning as a back up plan. I don't need to worry about my alarm clock that is laying on the floor. This way I can stay in bed...continue to sleep...and my cell phone will go off at the time I want to get up. I know, genius plan, right???

That's what I thought...until....

Abby, being the clever kitty that she is..then searches out the cell phone (I have to hide it in a different place every night)... if she finds it...she knocks it onto the floor...and then yes...I have to get up.

I have resorted to closing my bed room door. Abby does the innocent "meow" as a warning to what will follow...then the little gray paw under the door....next ...she runs up and down the hallway...then she BOUNCES OFF the door!!! BOUNCES OFF THE DOOR LIKE A RUBBER BALL!!! What's up with that?????????

Now I know your thinking "just feed the cat and go back to bed". If only it was that simple. I tried that ...the problem is..Miss Bossy Pants Abby thinks she can eat when ever she wants then. She starts this earlier and earlier once she gets her way!!!!!

An interesting note: My son sleeps with his bedroom door open. She doesn't bug him one bit. She will sleep with him until she has decided it's breakfast time...then she has to go wake up mom!

She's very demanding. Very cute. She loves everyone. She never hides. She is very much a people cat. She loves my dog...she plays with our rabbits when they are roaming around the living room. Abby is now 5 yrs old.

Something happens to her from 3:30am until 5:30am - she turns into a little furry she-devil! LOL! We love her though.... despite her weirdness.

luckypenny
July 8th, 2009, 12:09 AM
And she looks like "a furry little she-devil", lol. She is real purrty though :cloud9:.

Now I know your thinking "just feed the cat and go back to bed". If only it was that simple. I tried that ...the problem is..Miss Bossy Pants Abby thinks she can eat when ever she wants then. She starts this earlier and earlier once she gets her way!!!!!

How about you give in and feed her earlier and earlier...until she gets her breakfast at 10ish in the evening :D.

Welcome to pets.ca Collies_Rule :).

TeriM
July 8th, 2009, 12:35 AM
She is a very pretty monster :lovestruck:.

I like LP's suggestion :laughing:. Actually my old siamese :rip: was awful for waking us up in the middle of the night. I finally resorted to a squirt bottle and after a few squirts he gave up and just snuggled with us instead :shrug:. If she isn't a scared type cat you could also try a few coins in a container that you rattle to distract her :shrug:.

catlover2
July 8th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Are you always the one who feeds her? If so, she's bugging you because you're the source of her food and also amusement? One of my cats does stuff like knocking things down & getting into mischief every time I get on the phone.

How old is your son? Is he old enough to feed her? If he is, you should have him feed her. Don't leave food out for her to nibble all the time. She looks old enough to be fed twice a day. Feed her evening meal as late as possible. Keep the door of your bedroom closed. To keep her from bouncing or scratching at the door, get one of the SSSCAT Cat Repellent aerosol cans (from most pet stores), and put it outside the door. This should keep her away from it, and you'll get a good night's sleep. :thumbs up

ownedbycats
July 8th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I just have to say, Abby is adorable. I may be slightly biased though. She is one of the few tabbies i have seen with markings similar to my beloved Dusker-cat.:rip:

ancientgirl
July 8th, 2009, 11:09 AM
She's beautiful! Mine give me at least until 5:30-6:00 LOL.

What time do you feed her in the evening? Do you give her any treats before bed? Maybe doing that will keep her tummy full enough and she will demand her breakfast a little later.

Collies_Rule!
July 8th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I have tried EVERYTHING!!!!

I slept with a squirt bottle for a good year. The result...I have a 4 1/2 yr old cat that LOVES water! LOL!

Abby does get a little "something"...either treats or a bit of cat food around 9pm. I had hoped if she had a full tummy she would let me sleep until my alarm goes off. It doesn't work though.

Nothing bothers this cat. She is so easy going. There isn't anything that scares her. She just looks at you like "Whatcha doing that for?". :loser:

I can't train my cat...but she can certainly train her people!

My son is 10 yrs old. His job is the water bowls for the gang and the food for the rabbits. I feed Abby and Zoey (my dog) because I want to make sure I know exactly what they are eating and how much. Abby would NEVER bother him anyway. She loves him...but lives to torment me!

My son sits on the couch...she walks along the back of it....puts her paws on his head and starts grooming him (licking his hair)...if he moves his head...she bites his ear! LOL!

I have to accept the fact that my cat is a freak. She's adorable. She's loving. I love her so much. But...she's still a freak!

Is there a support group I can join??? :laughing:

dogcatharmony
July 8th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Abby is one very pretty kitty.

I learnt from my tabby that some cats stay nocturnal. Now that he is older, think it was around 10 he started sleeping when I went to bed. Before he was up all night trashing the place.

Now I have a youngin' in the house, and he is nutso all night long too. Poke you in the face at 3 in the morning looking for food. Up and down and over and all around. Crashing sounds...late in the night.Plus the dog gets going so instead of just littlekitty feet bounding across your bed, along comes 60lbs of dog :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
July 11th, 2009, 01:56 AM
My 17yr old Tortie grrl is a 3:30-4am feed-me-breakfast-cat too :shrug: Duffy starts with the meows that get louder & louder, she brings me her mousie toy, jumps on the bed pawing at my face with claws, jumps on the dresser, whoops knocked something off :shrug: :rolleyes: :cat:, jumps back to the bed paws @ my face with claws some more.......so instead of all that every morning I just give in & feed her, then she lets me sleep :D usually past the alarm going off :rolleyes: :laughing:

Is there a support group I can join??? :laughing:

:laughing: You just did........it's called pets.ca :laugh: