Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Groomer

Gracie5
July 7th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Hi All,

I live in Scarborough and I'm looking for a good groomer who would come to my home to groom my one-year-old tabby persian cat. Does anyone know of someone they could recommend?

Thank you for your help.

Gracie:thumbs up

SnowDancer
July 7th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I don't know a groomer who would come to your house, but my dog's groomer specializes in cats (my husband couldn't figure out why she would put this on her sign until he actually saw her in action with a very big furry cat). We live in East York, but I have my dog groomed on Bayview, just south of Eglinton - she does an excellent job and does a lot of cats. You might find that your cat handles the experience better when you are not there. My dog goes to this groomer once a week for socialization - but is groomed about every 3 months - and it is better once I leave. He is an American Eskimo who has hair-like fur - much like a Persian. Actually once when I was carrying him a woman asked if he was a big Persian. Well, Eskies are kind of cat-like.

quincymycat
July 7th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Hi Gracie,
I doubt you will have too much luck finding a mobile groomer to do cats. I have been watching for one too, but so far no luck.
I live in Markham and use a groomer who does cats located in Unionville. She is excellent. I have found many groomers do not really want to do cats as they can be a bit more difficult than dogs.:crazy: I agree with Snowdancer that your cat will probably do better with the grooming experience if you are not there. The first time I took my really hairy Maine Coon in for a groom I was terrrified, but he came through no problems. This groomer does 2 of my Maine Coons - the ones with the really heavy undercoats. They look like different kitties when they come home - much smaller anyway! LOL:laughing:
I can give you the info about her if you are interested. PM me for it.
Debbie

Gracie5
July 8th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Thank you for the referral. I may give her a try. Do you have a name and phone number?

Gracie5
July 8th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Thank you also, SnowDancer.

Gracie5
July 8th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Someone recommended this mobile groomer to me: His name is Derek Ripley and his number is 416-224-5050. His business is called Glamour Pets, and he grooms cats and small dogs, which I guess would leave your American Eskie out of the mix!

Gracie

quincymycat
July 8th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Someone recommended this mobile groomer to me: His name is Derek Ripley and his number is 416-224-5050. His business is called Glamour Pets, and he grooms cats and small dogs, which I guess would leave your American Eskie out of the mix!

Gracie

Hey Gracie, Let me know how he works out if you try him. I will PM you my groomers info.
Debbie

SnowDancer
July 10th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Hey, Gracie - much to my American Eskimo's dismay at 22 lbs. he is considered a "small" dog. He wants to be big! Well his legs are very long so that probably helps. Our cat who passed a year ago also weighed 22 lbs. so I figured the rough play was even.

Gracie5
July 13th, 2009, 12:36 PM
In that case, call Derek, by all means! He came last week, and did an excellent job with my tabby persian, Nathaniel. He's very gentle, but gets the job done. He doesn't actually groom the animal in your home, but parks his truck (about the size of a U-Haul), in which he has all his specialized tools. He can bathe the animals as well, if you want him to. I don't have mine bathed, but he'll do it if you want.

Hope it works out for you!

SnowDancer
July 14th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Gracie - you would hear the screams from East York if I put my Eskie in a van to be groomed! I think we will continue where we go - every Thurs. he goes to socialization at his groomer's - and about every 3 months gets groomed - but never on a Thurs. Eskies are very smart and I wouldn't want him to associate the experience with the socialization of his tail that happens every Thurs. Happy that things worked out for you.

quincymycat
July 22nd, 2009, 05:44 PM
Hey Gracie,
I called Derek today to see about setting up appointments for my 2 Maine Coons but he doesn't travel as far as Markham.
Too bad, it would have nice not to have to take the boys out for their grooms. I am happy he worked out for you - he says Scarborough is as far out as he travels.