Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Meg if you're lurking or anyone else

aslan
July 7th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Hey guys, My sisters cat Lucy, maybe five years old is sick. Before anyone ask's she is on the way to the vet right now. About a week ago Lucy off and on started drooling, then she added in this odd position like she was trying to poo. Suddenly yesterday she started having seizures. She as of late lastnight has been having seizures one after the other. She is an indoor cat, no rodent poison down. I cleaned the carpets about a month ago and my sis again on the weekend. We both have read the label for safety. No change in the kitty litter. I have done work there lately but only paint and plaster used. My sister is in a mess worrying because of how quickly it set in that it's a tumor. I'm hoping for epilepsy. Any other idea's would be greatly appreciated. Meg if you're lurking, how quick did Peaches epilepsy set in.

aslan
July 7th, 2009, 10:59 AM
oh this is lucy

hazelrunpack
July 7th, 2009, 11:07 AM
She's a beautiful girl! I hope she's better soon :grouphug:

When will your sister be back with an update?

Dog Dancer
July 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Aslan, Lucy is beautiful. I sure hope she is okay and that whatever is ailing her is easily treatable. :pray: Get better quickly Lucy.

aslan
July 7th, 2009, 11:11 AM
She's a beautiful girl! I hope she's better soon :grouphug:

When will your sister be back with an update?

she is kinda cute eh...

the appt was for 11:30 but sis was taking her when i was on the phone with her. Hoping they would take her immediately seeing the seizures. I offered to walk down and meet her there, but that seemed to upset her more. She says its like one side is paralyzed durring the seizure and the other is paddling away. I think she's thinking the worste right now.

Mat&Murph
July 7th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Awww :goodvibes: for Lucy!!! She is adorable

Love4himies
July 7th, 2009, 11:20 AM
:pray: for Lucy, she is beautiful. :lovestruck:

Winston
July 7th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Aslan has this happened more than once? If not I am wondering if she could have chewed on a cord and got some kind of a shock? other than something she has gotten into I can only think of epilepsy..From what I have heard it is controllable and Meg has done a great job with Peaches!!

Good Luck...Hugs for Lucy!

ancientgirl
July 7th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I hate to suggest this, but could she have had a stroke? I hope not. She's a little beauty.

krdahmer
July 7th, 2009, 02:37 PM
:pray::goodvibes: for Lucy and your sister.

aslan
July 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Ok the update... I did walk down to meet my sister just as she was leaving the vets. She was on her way to the emergency clinic in Oakville. Lucy is being kept there for a couple days, they have her hooked up to an iv, and cathater(sp) they've taken blood and given her phenebarbatol. Now we just wait. I got to see the actual seizures, poor baby.

Winston, it seemed to progress over the last few days, she went from being aloof to being super cuddle kitty. Drooling badly, then the seizures started. The vet did some neurological tests and said she's still in there so hopefully not alot of damage is done. Next will be a cat scan, no pun intended.

Mat&Murph
July 7th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Do they know when tests results come back???? :grouphug: to sis and :goodvibes for Lucy

aslan
July 7th, 2009, 05:14 PM
i think they said tomorrow, hard to hear with sis asking me what she should do. definately heard chaching alot. $270 to see the neurologist, iv and blood. $400. a day to stay there, if she needs MRI another $2500. Playing it by ear. I told her i'd help no matter what she decides.

chico2
July 7th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Aslan,:grouphug:to your sister,I know she must be worried sick:sad:
Talking from experience with my son,drooling was often telling me a seizure was coming.
Lucy is a beautiful kitty,hopefully it's nothing worse than epilepsy,it's bad enough,but can be controlled and she's just a baby at 5 yrs old,Peaches beeing a great example:cat::goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:for Lucy and your sister:pray:

breeze
July 7th, 2009, 06:21 PM
:goodvibes::fingerscr:goodvibes: for lucy get better little one.

and :grouphug::grouphug: for your sister

Love4himies
July 7th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the update, aslan.

Sending some :goodvibes: :goodvibes: and some more for good measure :goodvibes: for Lucy.

:grouphug: for your sister and her family.

ancientgirl
July 7th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Aslan, I hope she can be helped!:pray:

dogcatharmony
July 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Sending my thoughts and prayers........hope they can find out what is wrong.

And she is a beautiful kitty.......

hazelrunpack
July 7th, 2009, 08:59 PM
:goodvibes:

:grouphug:

Hang in there, Lucy!

lUvMyLaB<3
July 7th, 2009, 09:12 PM
aww sweet kitty! I hope and pray for a good outcome! Kitty is so lucky to have a good mommy and auntie!

growler~GateKeeper
July 8th, 2009, 12:09 AM
:goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes: Lucy :goodvibes: she is beautiful :lovestruck:

Meg if you're lurking, how quick did Peaches epilepsy set in.

Aslan - Peaches already had seizures before she fostered him and then adopted him http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=496572#post496572

TeriM
July 8th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Thinking lots of good thoughts and wishes to Lucy and her family.

:goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

aslan
July 8th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Little update...Lucy is still having seizures so they have increased the amount of phenobarbitol she is getting. They still haven't given us an answer as to what is wrong and last i heard blood results hadn't come in yet.

Growler thanks for the link.

bendyfoot
July 8th, 2009, 04:09 PM
:sad:Poor kitty. :goodvibes::fingerscr:grouphug:

ancientgirl
July 8th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I hope you get some good news soon.:pray:

hazelrunpack
July 8th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I hope they figure it out soon! :fingerscr How much longer will it be on the blood results, do they know?

aslan
July 8th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I didn't ask my sister when the results would be in, she's a little upset and not focusing the best. If i hadn't been with her she would have left her bank card at 3 seperate places. I thought they said sometime today, but i'm not positive. We're going out to dinner, and probably to see furry butt after.

hazelrunpack
July 8th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I hope they come back today--the waiting is the worst. Dinner is good--get her mind off things.

I hope Lucy is much improved by the time you see her tonight! :goodvibes:

14+kitties
July 8th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Was hoping to read better news today. Hang in there. Hope bloodwork comes back soon. :fingerscr:goodvibes:

aslan
July 8th, 2009, 04:26 PM
i just wish we had the answers so we can decide what to do. Everything i've read concerns me it's not epilepsy, since its apparantly rare in cats. Can't think of anything she could have poisoned herself with. We've checked every wire we could see and nothing.

hazelrunpack
July 8th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Does your sis have any house plants? :shrug:

aslan
July 8th, 2009, 04:33 PM
she only has one plant in her place, it's a money tree. Isn't toxic from what we've read.

chico2
July 8th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Aslan,sorry you have no definet news yet,but if it is epilepsy,it will take a bit to get the right dosage of meds.
You are beeing a wonderful sis,taking your sis out for dinner,but then I expected nothing less from you.:lovestruck:
:pray:for better news for Lucy very soon:pray:

aslan
July 8th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Chico2 your ruining my evil reputation. My sis and I are just over a year apart so we are really close. We've always been the others support system, sounding board or worste enemy. When one needs the other we are always there. Besides i'm craving Chinese food.:evil:

chico2
July 8th, 2009, 05:04 PM
OMG,if everyone was as evil as you,we would live in a wonderful world:laughing:

aslan
July 8th, 2009, 05:05 PM
OMG,if everyone was as evil as you,we would live in a wonderful world:laughing:

aaaw man, shhhhhh. do you gotta tell everyone. K off for now, hopefully i'll have some info when i get back.

Shaykeija
July 8th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Any more news? Hope the kitty is feeling better soon....

aslan
July 8th, 2009, 08:16 PM
No news yet, sister and nephew are at the vets at the moment. If i hear anything i'll let you know.

meg4050
July 8th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Aslan, sorry I took so long..my net isn't working so I can only get on when one of my neighbour's wireless signals is strong enough.

Peaches had already been diagnosed with epilepsy when I started fostering however I went the entire 3 months of fostering him without a single seizure and from what I was told he hadn't had any in the shelter so I really don't know how frequently or severe his seizures were before. Once I adopted him, there was one specific night that he seemed off and then had a seizure right beside me. After that he was seizing much more frequently and the next night he had a severe one and went right back into another one which is when I got him onto meds.

It sounds like your sister's vet is doing everything possible... one thing I thought of though is that not all cats will react to phenobarb. I know this too from my dad's epilepsy...he was on several anti-convulsants before they found one that worked. When I first took Peaches in they told me it could take 3-4 different meds before we found one that he would respond to...and once that happens they have to try different dosages. I got lucky that the phenobarb worked right away but it's possible that Lucy just needs a different anti-convulsant.

I really hope Lucy's OK...hopefully its just something that she got into or maybe she hit her head the wrong way and this will pass. If it does turn out that Lucy has epilepsy, you can assure her that it is perfectly manageable and I can help her with any questions she has.

Peaches has gone through pretty extensive testing similar to what Lucy's vet is doing and nothing came back abnormal so they diagnosed it as epilepsy. If they don't find anything obviously wrong with Lucy, it's quite possible they may do the same thing.

meg4050
July 8th, 2009, 09:10 PM
One more thing..

You mentioned that Lucy seemed a bit paralyzed. Whenever Peaches has a more severe seizure, for about a half hour or so he sort of drags his back end like he doesn't have much strength or feeling back then. It was much worse when he first starting having severe ones and he would hardly be able to walk or stand up. So I think that's a fairly common symptom following seizures

Keep us posted :fingerscr:goodvibes:

pbpatti
July 8th, 2009, 09:18 PM
:grouphug: for Lucy's quick diagnosis and a cure. pbp

aslan
July 8th, 2009, 09:21 PM
omg, thank you meg... i'm forwarding this to my sis to read. She's pretty down at the moment, so any helpful info is great.:grouphug:

meg4050
July 8th, 2009, 09:38 PM
omg, thank you meg... i'm forwarding this to my sis to read. She's pretty down at the moment, so any helpful info is great.:grouphug:

Not a problem, I'm happy to help :) I can understand how she's feeling..it's so scary, especially witnessing the seizures and being so helpless

I'm leaving tomorrow night to go camping up north until Sunday and then hopping on a plane Monday morning to go to Texas & New Orleans until next Sunday... I think you have my cell # and email but I'll PM it to you just in case. I have a Blackberry now so if you have any questions you can text me or email me and I'll be able to get it and reply

aslan
July 8th, 2009, 09:40 PM
thanks alot meg, i really have to go pass out now, these long days are getting to me. Have a good trip, hopefully we wont have to disturb you....

Love4himies
July 9th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Chico2 your ruining my evil reputation. the other we

Evil, yeah, right :rolleyes:, you don't fool us :D :lovestruck:

aslan
July 9th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Unfortunately I don't have good news for you folks. Lucy took a turn for the worse over night and this morning. My sister is going to the vets at 430 this afternoon to have the poor little one put to sleep. We both wanna thank everyone for your kind words and support.:grouphug:

BenMax
July 9th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Unfortunately I don't have good news for you folks. Lucy took a turn for the worse over night and this morning. My sister is going to the vets at 430 this afternoon to have the poor little one put to sleep. We both wanna thank everyone for your kind words and support.:grouphug:

Aslan - I am so very very sorry.....:grouphug:

Love4himies
July 9th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I am so sorry, aslan, did the vets give any indication of what might have caused this??

Is this the same sister who lost her cat last year?

:grouphug: to you and your sister's family. This must be so heartbreaking.

14+kitties
July 9th, 2009, 02:48 PM
My thoughts are with your sister and her family and you this afternoon. It is a hard hard thing to go through. May your sister know she has done everything to help Lucy and feel no guilt. :sad: Lucy - when you get to Rainbow bridge you go find Li'l Momma and Bandit. They will show you the ropes. Go quietly girl. :candle:

ancientgirl
July 9th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Aslan, I'm so sorry! I'd hoped whatever she had would have been treatable and she could have gotten better.

hazelrunpack
July 9th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Lucy, aslan.

:grouphug: for your sis and her family.

:grouphug: for you for being such a good sis.

Run free, sweet Lucy!

:candle: Lucy

luckypenny
July 9th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I'm so sorry for your sister and you, Aslan...the suddenness of this is tragic :sad:.

:candle: Lucy

SIL
July 9th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Aslan...my condolences to you and your sister. She did everything she could for little Lucy.:grouphug:

:candle:Lucy

aslan
July 9th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I am so sorry, aslan, did the vets give any indication of what might have caused this??

Is this the same sister who lost her cat last year?

:grouphug: to you and your sister's family. This must be so heartbreaking.

Well it's over now. Love4, the vet believes it was a tumor, after the last round of seizures, she wasn't responding well to the neurological test(brain damage). She had started to become viscious to the point they had sedated her some prior to my sister and nephew arriving. Yes it is the same sister who lost the cat last year. My nephew was a little trooper and held Lucy while they gave her the shots and just kissed her and talked to her until her heart stopped. Then he asked the vet all kinds of questions. Which she answered kindly.

14+kitties
July 9th, 2009, 05:27 PM
:candle: :rip: Lucy :candle: :sad:

chico2
July 9th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Oh no,I was hoping it was something treatable:cry:
So sorry for your sis,nephew who was certainly a brave young man,making sure Lucy was surrounded by love before her final moment:grouphug:
OMG,it's just heartbreaking,but these things happen.
:angel2::rip:beautiful little Lucy

Frenchy
July 9th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I'm so sorry aslan :sad:

:rip: little Lucy :candle:

Winston
July 9th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Aslan! hugs to you and your sister!

Run free little one!

onster
July 9th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Oh aslan..i am sooooooooooooooooo sorry :sad: :grouphug: :rip: beautiful lucy

Love4himies
July 10th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Well it's over now. Love4, the vet believes it was a tumor, after the last round of seizures, she wasn't responding well to the neurological test(brain damage). She had started to become viscious to the point they had sedated her some prior to my sister and nephew arriving. Yes it is the same sister who lost the cat last year. My nephew was a little trooper and held Lucy while they gave her the shots and just kissed her and talked to her until her heart stopped. Then he asked the vet all kinds of questions. Which she answered kindly.

:cry::cry: I am so sorry, aslan :grouphug:

Please give your nephew a special hug from me.

:rip: Lucy :candle:

krdahmer
July 10th, 2009, 08:24 AM
:sad:I am so sorry for Lucy:candle: and your sister and you:grouphug:, and I have to say what a brave and big hearted nephew you have, you must be so proud. :grouphug:

breeze
July 10th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I'm so sorry aslan.

:grouphug: to you and :grouphug: to your sister and nephew

:rip: little Lucy,

Sylvie
July 10th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Aslan I am so sorry. I know the heartbreak of seizures. My heart goes out to you and your family.
:grouphug: to everyone

:rip: Beautiful Lucy :angel2:

cpietra16
July 10th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Aslan, I missed this whole thread...I am so sorry for your sister and nephew...:sad:

Shaykeija
July 10th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I am so sorry..Lucy had good people with her at the end..pure love..

babymomma
July 10th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Im so sorry Aslan:sad:

Run free lucy:angel2:

:rip:

diandpat
July 10th, 2009, 10:29 AM
:rip: sweet Lucy :cry:

Was so hoping for a much better outcome...:grouphug:

Jim Hall
July 10th, 2009, 10:34 AM
damn what else can i say ??

BenMax
July 10th, 2009, 10:37 AM
My sincere sympathy Aslan to everyone!:cry: I am so very very sorry.:sad:

RIP little one:rip: You will not be forgotten.

Magicwildwolf69
July 10th, 2009, 02:20 PM
my deepest sympathy to you and your sister and your nephew aslan. :grouphug:

lucy was beautiful

:rip:

growler~GateKeeper
July 11th, 2009, 12:52 AM
:grouphug: to you & yours Aslan

:rip: sweet :angel2: Lucy :candle: She is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle:

TeriM
July 11th, 2009, 01:19 AM
:cry:

Hugs to you and your family Aslan :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:.
I am so sorry for your loss :sad: :rip:.

meg4050
July 14th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Aslan, I'm so sorry to hear about Lucy :sad: I was finally able to get on here and was really hoping for better news.

RIP Lucy :rip::candle: