Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What the Eff is THIS?!?

danaekitty
July 6th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I found this stuff in my dad's house on a couch cushion. I know there have been many rodents scrambling through that house - my dad has let it fall into serious disrepair - so I'm wondering if it's some kind of droppings. Does anyone know?

danaekitty
July 6th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Here's a more focused one.

SandraLM
July 6th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Looks like larvae to me.

Mouse and rat droppings are dark in colour.

Or it also could be stuffing from a couch that the mice or rats are using for their nests.

Chaser
July 6th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Ugh :yuck: *barf*

I have no idea....but whatever it is it does not belong inside on a couch. I think your dad may need some help around his house....

luckypenny
July 6th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Looks like seeds to me. Could your dad have placed mouse poison around the house? Please keep any pets away...if they even eat a rodent who's eaten poison, they could become seriously ill.

danaekitty
July 6th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I'm about to move in there with my two cats to help him out around the house (and live rent-free for the first time in years while I go back to school). I don't know if he's been using any poison, I hope not!
I've cleaned the main floor as much as I can, that stuff is gone. I just thought it was weird - I found it in two different rooms. It has a really shiny shell. I didn't touch it, so I don't know what it feels like.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for no sick cats.
Thanks.

TwinTails
July 6th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Deffinitely looks like seeds (looks like bird seed that I feed the piji's). Yup, time to move everything, sweep, vacuum & clean everything. Make your home inhabital for rodents :) Find out if your dad is using any poisons, just to be on the safe side ;)

mollywog
July 7th, 2009, 06:11 AM
for sure looks like seeds, the little critters have been stuffing it in behind the couch cushions :yuck:
Please do a realllly thorough cleaning before you move in with your kitties!

ancientgirl
July 7th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Yep, they look like seeds to me as well.

hazelrunpack
July 7th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Rodents often keep stashes of food for the lean times--usually not out in the open like that, but it looks like a seed stash to me. How deep into the couch between the cushions does it go?

If the place is furnished and the furniture has been in with the mice for a long time, they're probably living in it. :o If it were me, I think I'd be pitching all the old furniture...

danaekitty
July 7th, 2009, 10:43 AM
It didn't really go any further than what you saw in the picture, it was just that pile. That couch is going into storage - I think it's the basement that gets the most of the rodents - It's a very old house, and once my sister and I moved out, he just used our old rooms for storage and junk, he never went in there.

Anyway. Thanks for the thoughts - glad it's not maggot babies.

BenMax
July 7th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Looks like seeds. One way to find out - crack one open.

Gail P
July 7th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Yep, seeds. But I would wonder where did they come from? They're all the same kind, where would the mice have found something like that in that quantity? I'd be very suspicious of it being poison that's been set out somewhere.

Our house is old and we get mice. With all the dogs I absolutely will not use poison and although I have traps set the mice are pretty good at avoiding them (they seem to like to say hidden in the walls or floorboards, the attic is probably full of them but we have no access to it). I occasionally used to find piles of dog food hidden away here or there in a closet or somewhere in the basement but now all the dog food is stored in sealed containers and they always clean up all their food at mealtimes so there's none left sitting around.

joeysmama
July 7th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I know that you've been warned about poison more than once in this thread so this is going to sound redundant but PLEASE find out about the poison for certain.

We had a cat who was older but certainly not old. Just old enough to not be a great hunter. (We took her in as a stray and she was declawed and missing teeth but according to the vet she wasn't very old when we got her and we had her about 10 or 11 years.)

We had a mouse problem up and down our entire street due to some problems with woods and stream and whatever. Normally we wouldn't have used poison but the problem was REALLY bad--they made a nest above the babies room and the ceiling was wet and smelly from mouse pee. It was awful. (And I keep a clean house AND I had a housekeeper !!) So the exterminator put those poison packets around but in places where Cina couldn't reach. High in the basement eaves, little spaces behind the stove. We were VERY careful.

But she died of poisoning anyway.:sad: Turns out she caught and ate a mouse who had eaten the poison. The vet said that the mouse was probably slowed down just enough for her to be able to catch it.

Please please be careful !!!

SandraLM
July 7th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I don't think I would be touching it with my bare hands either. So please handle it carefully. :)

krdahmer
July 7th, 2009, 01:44 PM
:yuck::yuck: I hate to mention it but those also look like cockroach larvae.... http://bugguide.net/node/view/174558
I really hope it was seeds.... I had roaches once when I first moved out and in with a roomate, we were in a building and some guy moved in above us and infested the whole building, they were everywhere, beds, couches, cupboards, yick!:yuck: Maybe you should get your dad's house fumigated or have pest control guys come in before you guys move in.... might be a good investment.:goodvibes: