Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy gets too rough when chewing bone

JunoLover
July 5th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Hi everyone,

Whenever i give my pup (hes almost 10wks) his toys when hes nipping/biting us, he gets pretty rowdy and worked up playing with it.
He takes it in his mouth, and tries to move it, but if it falls out of his mouth, he will stare at it and start to creep up onto the toy. then he will jump onto it.
i find that when we give him his toys to chew on, he gets more nippy with us, so we take them away.

any help??? I have tried the frozen kong. He will sit there with it, but when we play with him after, he gets really rowdy and starts to nip/bite more.

SandraLM
July 5th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Yell OWWWW fairly loud. Most dogs will usually let go of the toy or bone etc. And the pup will usually stop biting people when you yell OWWWW.

I have a bad back and I lay on the floor a lot. When I get on the floor the schnauzer thinks I am getting down there to play with her. She got a bit close to me one day and was biting on a toy and got my nipple. Now was my OMG OWWWW. She sure let go real fast thank goodness.

bendyfoot
July 6th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Hi there! You need to keep in mind that this is a puppy, and puppies are driven by their mouths...EVERYTHING goes in their mouths and they are also inclined to be very nippy/chewy. This is perfectly normal behaviour. That said, chewing/nipping at people's hands is not an acceptable behaviour, and needs to be curtailed. It sounds like you're on the right track...if the pup nips, say "OUCH!" loudly and turn your back to him. Once he settles/stops nipping offer a toy and praise him for chewing on/playing with it.

He takes it in his mouth, and tries to move it, but if it falls out of his mouth, he will stare at it and start to creep up onto the toy. then he will jump onto it.

What you're describing here sounds like pretty normal prey drive behaviour. Most dogs will bounce on toys, toss them in the air, shake them, etc...

i find that when we give him his toys to chew on, he gets more nippy with us, so we take them away.

If you give him a toy, you don't have to keep interacting with him/holding the toy...why not just let him play with the toy? Or do you mean that it's hard to take it from him?

If he gets nippy when you try to take the toy, you need to start working on the "leave it" and "drop it" or "trade" commands.