Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Daisy -- Our first

Herby22788
July 5th, 2009, 02:48 AM
We sadly awoke this morning to find our dog Daisy had passed away 1 week short of her 14th birthday. Just a few months ago she had been diagnosed with Congenital Heart Failure.... my biggest regret it not being able to spend more time with her due to being away at college.

Happily, and sadly it appears she died, without warning or suffering, peacefully at home in her sleep.

She was the first dog I ever had, and have had her since I was 7, I am currently 21. The companionship, love, and bond we shared was remarkable..

However I must say, every doorbell that rings, and everytime I walk into the house I expect to here the unmistakable sounds of her rattling collar, and that always present bark welcoming visitors to the house.

:rip: Daisy -- you will be greatly missed.

On a side question, what have people typically done with things that belonged to the dog. It kills us to see the basket of toys in the corner, and her plush bed in the living room floor. But to get rid of them, or brush them aside just doesn't seem feasible either. Do these things take care of themselves over time?

Melinda
July 5th, 2009, 07:08 AM
R.I.P. Daisy , sounds like you were very loved and loved greatly in return, when my soul doggie (also named Daisy) passed away after a long illness, I chose a favorite "toy" of hers and sat it on a shelf, gathered up the rest of her leashes, toys, dishes and coats (she needed them at the end) and donated them to the spca in cornwall, to me it was fitting, let those that could really use it benefit from it.
Its hard to lose your first companion, grieve a little and smile a little knowing Daisy has run over the rainbow bridge and will wait for you.
*hugs* and I'm so sorry for your loss

mikischo
July 5th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I'm sorry for the loss of your dear Daisy:dog:. It is so hard to lose a beloved pet.:grouphug::grouphug:

May the sorrow you are feeling soon be replaced by all the beautiful memories you have of the wonderful years you shared with Daisy. Taking care of the necessary things in life does often prevent us from spending as much time with our beloved pets as we would like, but Daisy knew she was very much loved and loved you very much in return. Allow yourself the time to grieve and heal.

As for her belongings, do with them whatever makes you feel most comfortable. When I lost my Mickey:cat: recently, I left everything more or less in place for over a week before I could even bring myself to gather them up. I have given some things away and kept a couple of things for sentimental value or in case I or someone I know has need of them for a future pet. SPCA's and no-kill rescues and shelters are also always in need of donations of items. Follow your heart and do what feels good for you.

:candle::rip:dear:angel:Daisy:dog::candle: Run free until you meet with your loved ones again.

Love4himies
July 5th, 2009, 09:03 AM
So sorry to hear about Daisy :cry: :grouphug:. Pets give us such unconditional love that can create such a strong bond between us.

We kept Snowball's collar and have it displayed around his urn he had that collar since he was big enough to graduate from a kitten collar.

:rip: Daisy :candle:

14+kitties
July 5th, 2009, 11:40 AM
:candle::rip: Daisy :candle: Run free at the bridge

hazelrunpack
July 5th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, Herby. :grouphug: Daisy was a very lucky girl to have been so well-loved by you.

Give yourself some time to adjust to her being gone, and then decide what to do with her things. You may want to keep some of them as remembrances. Memories of her will always live in your heart, as well.

:candle: Daisy

Herby22788
July 6th, 2009, 02:09 AM
All things considered a day later we've simply moved them out of site into another room in the house. It just seemed a bit easier this way. This forum is such a blessing in disguise to pet owners everywhere.

It's nice to have a little support behind you, often those who don't own pets just don't quite get the bond I'm afraid.

Daisy was definitely a special little girl, and will be missed. The mark she made on our family will be cherished for a lifetime, and her stories will be told to my kids for certain.

Thanks, so much all of you for the support and advice.... it's helped a lot during a rough time. The downstairs of the house is still just not the same without having a dog there... even more so without always having a friend there.

CarolynInPEI
July 6th, 2009, 07:06 AM
So sorry to hear about Daisy.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

:rip:Daisy:angel2:

hunnybunny
July 6th, 2009, 07:16 AM
So sorry for your loss

RIP Daisy :candle: Run Free little girl:angel2:

BenMax
July 6th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I am so very sorry for your loss.

RIP dear pup - run free.:rip:

mollywog
July 6th, 2009, 08:55 AM
So sorry for your loss. Daisy sounds like a very special girl. Do you have a picture you could post to remember her by?
I think donating the toys and bed to a local shelter or rescue group sounds like an excellent memorial. Or, of course, holding on to them until you are ready to welcome another dog into your heart.
:rip: Daisy

edwina
July 6th, 2009, 09:01 AM
:rip: Daisy :cry:

mjlwriter
July 28th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my friend on the 21st and I miss him terribly. He was also 14 and I wish he could've been with me longer. As far as your dog's belongings, I think that anything that can be re-used should be given to the local dog shelter or some other friend or neighbor who owns a dog. Any food that is unopened can go there too. Keep the stuff that can't be donated for as long as your comfortable, then at some point maybe it has to be discarded. I haven't given any thought to that. I think I will keep certain stuff permanently as a rememberance.

I am dealing with this by realizing that Elmo had a good life in which he was always cared for and loved. I miss him and will always remember him. Read about the Rainbow Bridge, which illustrates a time down the road when we will be reunited with our beloved pets.

Be strong. I hope to be as well.:pawprint: