Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Summer blooms!

CearaQC
July 4th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Well the first Lily of the year has bloomed, as well as more Iris, Siberian Iris, Hardy Geranium, and volunteer Wild Daises.

Hope you enjoy!

CearaQC
July 4th, 2009, 12:25 PM
More pictures...

CearaQC
July 4th, 2009, 12:27 PM
And more...

mollywog
July 4th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I love them all- absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to plant some Irises in my yard. When would be the best time?

mollywog
July 4th, 2009, 12:28 PM
:eek: that last Iris is to die for! What's it called?

CearaQC
July 4th, 2009, 12:38 PM
August is probably best for Iris. And you can get good "end of season" sales from your garden nursery. I got most of my bearded types for $1 or $2 per pot from those sales. :D Most were mislabeled though. :laughing: The smaller rust/yellow ones were just marked yellow.

Last one is a Siberian Iris that we got from Veseys mail order. It came in a multi pack so I don't know it's catalog name. :sorry: I'll dig out my old catalogs and try to find the name for you.

CearaQC
July 4th, 2009, 01:06 PM
It's either "Soft Blue" or "Caesar's Brother" but the one I have definitely looks blue on the camera, but to the eye it looks purple.

So beats me which one it is! I just know it's a Siberian Iris. :shrug:

There's another one yet to bloom and I have no idea what color it will be. This is their 3rd year in the ground and just now starting to bloom. The previous years they were so small and didn't bloom (out of a set of 7 roots, only 4 survived and I got a refund) and it hardly seemed worth mail ordering them and I definitely recommend visiting a local plant nursery instead to get a well established clump in a pot. Mail order live plants tend to be teeny tiny and take forever to get established. At least you won't have to wait three years to see what you purchased!:2cents:

Winston
July 4th, 2009, 01:14 PM
OMG I gotta have a blue iris!! That is gorgeous! so is everything else~! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
July 4th, 2009, 10:07 PM
As usual, I can't download your pics :yell: Maybe next year--phone company is supposed to be bringing us DSL :thumbs up

However, I'm intrigued... Are you saying that Siberian iris comes in multiple colors?!? :confused: I used to have pretty good luck with Siberian iris, but I've only ever seen them in a deep violet-blue color.

If they come in more than one color, it opens up new horizons for hazel's garden, since Siberian iris is one of the few varieties that gets along with her moldy thumb! :laughing:

14+kitties
July 4th, 2009, 11:23 PM
As usual, I can't download your pics :yell: Maybe next year--phone company is supposed to be bringing us DSL :thumbs up

However, I'm intrigued... Are you saying that Siberian iris comes in multiple colors?!? :confused: I used to have pretty good luck with Siberian iris, but I've only ever seen them in a deep violet-blue color.

If they come in more than one color, it opens up new horizons for hazel's garden, since Siberian iris is one of the few varieties that gets along with her moldy thumb! :laughing:

hazel, I'll email them to you. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
July 5th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Uh-oh...can't get anything through in email right now, either, 14+ -- unless you can really cut them down in size. :o

The phone lines are cracklin'...sound a little like the fireworks going on outside! :laughing:

CearaQC
July 5th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Hazel I stopped posting pics that were hosted on other websites like Photobucket just so you could see them.

I'm sorry your internet is FUBAR. :sad:

Hope you're able to get some better service in future!:fingerscr

14+kitties
July 5th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Uh-oh...can't get anything through in email right now, either, 14+ -- unless you can really cut them down in size. :o

The phone lines are cracklin'...sound a little like the fireworks going on outside! :laughing:

Oh shoot!! I actually did make them smaller but when I sent them I guess I included one of mine which hadn't been made smaller. It wasn't one I wanted to send either. :o Very weedy in that area.
Sorry hazel. :o

hazelrunpack
July 5th, 2009, 12:34 AM
But that's great, Ceara...I mean selfishly, for me! :o Cuz that means once our phone lines get over their current difficulty, I should be able to download them :thumbs up Thank you!!!

We're just having our usual summer glitch in the lines--they're always bad over holiday weekends, maybe cuz there's an influx of people down by the lake and increased use of the lines :shrug:

Weedy is homey, 14+ :laughing: Weeds always put me in mind of my own gardens. :p

And no harm done--it was too big to open, but because I was forewarned, I went directly to webmail and deleted it before it tried to download to my local mail program! :thumbs up

Thank you for trying!

This time next year maybe they'll have the DSL in :fingerscr

Okay, so now back to the original question :D Do Siberian irises come in more than one color?

CearaQC
July 5th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Okay, so now back to the original question :D Do Siberian irises come in more than one color?

Yes!

Just about every color except orange/red. There are various shades and combos of purple/blue, pink, yellow, white. The closest you can get to red are some nice dark magenta types. I've only seen photos of those online at the Iris Society website.

The Iris I really want is the Spuria type. These can bloom on top of stalks 3 to 5 feet tall and the flowers are around 5 inches across. :eek: I haven't found any suppliers in Canada, but there are a few in the USA.

14+ dont feel bad about weeds. I can never get all the weeds out and there are little bite marks on most of the flower foliage where something had a trial nibble. There's even baby maple trees in the Lily/Iris bed. Those little helicopters can sure fly. :laughing:

Dee-O-Gee
July 5th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Holy smokes CearaQC--the Soft Blue or Caesar's Brother Siberian Iris is absolutely to die for! :cloud9: I have so many bearded iris's right now that I have to dig and divide them.

Your lilies also look amazing. :)

clm
July 5th, 2009, 10:35 PM
The lilies and iris are spectacular. I have that hardy geranium too. Tough as nails and always blooming.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
July 5th, 2009, 10:45 PM
:highfive:

Connection is still slow tonight, but I think I got most of the pics this time :thumbs up

That blue iris is absolutely gorgeous! :cloud9: I've never seen one that color! Nor did I know that Siberian irises came in so many colors! :eek: I'm definitely going to have to start hunting around for a supplier!

CearaQC
July 5th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Hazel I'm glad you got to see some of the pictures. :D Here's a specialty supplier in your state for the Siberian Iris. There's a dreamy cobalt blue one there! And a powder blue type. They also have Japanese Iris and Louisiana Iris.

http://www.rivergategardens.com/siberianiris.html

hazelrunpack
July 6th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Ooooo...lettin' it try to load in a different window :thumbs up

Where are they located, do you know?

The yellow and rust irises downloaded this time, too. They're stunning!

hazelrunpack
July 6th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Cazenovia! :highfive: I even know where that is! :eek: Amazing! :laughing:

:thankyou:

Tundra_Queen
July 6th, 2009, 01:34 AM
I love those irises!! They are gorgeous colours! And lilies are my favorite flowers I have hundreds of them,,if the sun ever comes out again I might even get blooms. :laughing:

Debbie