Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oggie's new house

edwina
July 1st, 2009, 03:58 PM
Ok i am putting the pics back up if anyone is interested. :confused:

onster
July 2nd, 2009, 01:19 AM
cat doesnt measure up to others??? :confused: do u need help with posting a pic edwina? resizing prob?

mikischo
July 2nd, 2009, 03:44 AM
Cat dont measure up to others????:confused:

Please don't ever think that way even for one second. First of all this is a pet lovers forum. It is not a beauty contest site for who has the cutest pet, and I'm very sorry if you have gotten such an impression. Secondly, I saw one of your earlier pictures of Oggie on another thread (you mentioned he was one of your senior cats and called him your butterball). I thought he was a real sweety and had a lot of character.:lovestruck:

TacoGrl
July 2nd, 2009, 07:43 AM
Please repost...ALL pets are welcome here. :thumbs up

Winston
July 2nd, 2009, 07:50 AM
Edwina loved the set up for him...he did look like a butterball! :D but he also looked like he had some character too! :thumbs up

so sorry you deleted his pic! he was a cutie!

mollywog
July 2nd, 2009, 09:09 AM
Edwina this site gets a lot of trollers- not everyone who looks at the posts comments. Please don't take that as an insult.

kittiesgirl
July 2nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
He is so fluffy and cute. Does he play well with others ? :cat:

Mat&Murph
July 2nd, 2009, 10:34 AM
I think I missed something But Oggie is adorable

Love4himies
July 2nd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Oggie is adorable. Is there a story behind him that you can share with us?

allfurlove
July 2nd, 2009, 10:50 AM
He looks very pleased to have his own apartment :cat: It must be alot of work to build something like that!

Shaykeija
July 2nd, 2009, 11:12 AM
He looks safe and happy...and well loved. The people here are pretty good. We only get pissy when there is a clear case of abuse or neglect. And your kitty is healthy and loved.

BenMax
July 2nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
Firstly Oggie is beautiful!:lovestruck:. He looks very content and loved.

As for the cat condo - holly CROW! That is amazing! Who made it?

Please give us the story on old Oggie! I bet he has one.:)

edwina
July 2nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
Oggie is adorable. Is there a story behind him that you can share with us?
He had a little smaller house that he had had for sometime , so now he got an upgrade. He likes getting out on a leash and playing everyday. But he loves his house. I even sheared him of some of his hair yesterday ( he is very thick furred and doesnt shed easily) , and he left me do it, which is very uncommon, he usually does the death roll to avoid it. :)
No unfortunetly he doesnt play well with other cats. So that is why he is in his own house. He used to play with our cat Tigger, but she died last winter, and there is nobody else that can put him in his place like she could. But he is very loving to me and my dad, he dont really like strangers. :rolleyes:
My other senior cat Sis's house will go right next to his, they will be able to see each other nicely. :)
Me and my father built the house for him and Taterbug's also which is bigger , but she will be living with another cat.
He is my blonde honeybear. :cloud9:

ancientgirl
July 2nd, 2009, 11:45 AM
He doesn't look like a butterball in the photo of him standing. The sitting picture, a little, but I'm guessing maybe that's because he's sitting. That happens to my Vlad.:D

I wish I had a yard so I could build something like that for my gang, that connects to my house. That way they could go in and out as they pleased and enjoy some nature. You did a nice job.

edwina
July 2nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
This is the house we built Tater Bug, but like i said one of my other cats will be living with her ( as soon as he gets neutered). I couldnt build something this big for oggie, he doesnt have as much bounce in his step anymore so i had to build something that he had several layers to bounce up on. :)
He is heavy-er than he looks. :D

BenMax
July 2nd, 2009, 11:58 AM
These condos are absolutely beautiful! If you get your dad to make blue prints and then sell them - you never know - this idea will fly for people that want to enjoy their cats outdoors during the day while doing the BBQ.

If I lived in a home with a yard, I would have a cat condo so that my cats would be able to enjoy the outdoors while being contained and monitored and then come in at night to snuggle with me in front of the TV or just going to sleep.

BenMax
July 2nd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Orrrr - you can build a few and foster cats and kittens or provide people with boarding when on vacation.

edwina
July 2nd, 2009, 12:04 PM
Orrrr - you can build a few and foster cats and kittens or provide people with boarding when on vacation.

Well my perminant residents need there homes built first. I have a few more to make for them yet. :D
I take care of alot of strays now, i dont think i could do the fostering, although i do give kittens away when i have to. So i am kinda doing it already. :)

I told my dad we should go into business building cat houses :D, but he is 79 so i dont think that would be a good idea. :rolleyes:

Cathy1
July 2nd, 2009, 01:24 PM
I think those houses are excellent. There needs to be more people like you to help these cats. They have shelter, food and love what more can an animal ask for.

krdahmer
July 2nd, 2009, 01:51 PM
Oh please don't ever take it personally if lots look and none reply, we have plenty of 'lurkers' such as myself as of late, who are lazy and don't type replies because their keyboard and arms are covered in sleeping cats, so we don't make them move unless the poster really needs advice or help! Your kitties look well taken care of, and those shelters are great, and it's obvious from your posts that you love them, so many of us veterans just peruse your pics and move on, no insult ever intended. Sometimes i can get to my mouse and reply with a smilie, or like today the kitty on the keyboard had a poopy butt and had to be removed and cleaned so I now have some time to type!!! :yuck::rolleyes::laughing:

I have every intention of doing something similar to you and 14 some day, building shelters so that I can take in more cats that can't find homes, or foster more without upsetting my own clowder. So keep posting the pics, I'm getting some great ideas to file away for when I have the space! (and no nosy neighbours!):thumbs up

edwina
July 2nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Sometimes i can get to my mouse and reply with a smilie, or like today the kitty on the keyboard had a poopy butt and had to be removed and cleaned so I now have some time to type!!! :yuck::rolleyes::laughing:

:laughing::laughing:

I'm getting some great ideas to file away for when I have the space! (and no nosy neighbours!)

Yeah i like living in the country, i have lots of trees and bushes to have privacy. :)

Jim Hall
July 2nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
if you can make one a bit bigger and run cable for me ill be a teanant!!!

btw your cats always "measure up"

edwina
July 2nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
Here are 2 pics of oggie and his brother booger (he had sinus issues when he was a baby :o ) , one of them as baby's (sorry was never good at taking pics) and the other was when they where around 3. Booger died when he was 4 do to a heartattack. :sad:
Oggie is 13 now.

BenMax
July 2nd, 2009, 03:38 PM

btw your cats always "measure up"

:laughing::laughing::laughing: (if they will have you Jim Hall!):laughing:

And so true - all animals measure up...it's us humans that falter.

14+kitties
July 2nd, 2009, 04:07 PM
Edwina - have you tried the Furminator on Oggie? It would save you some work having to shear him. It takes the undercoat and cuts it. That's the part that tends to mat on them. Maybe that would help.
He looks very happy in his house. :thumbs up
Was going to ask, does he have the same roof type as the other kitties do?

Bina
July 2nd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Those cat houses are great.
We have a similar structure, but it was built for my chickens.
People used to laugh that I made my chickens their own Gazebo. :)
Oggie is so handsome, how old is he?

chico2
July 2nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
Edwina,you and your dad can be very proud,those are some very well built cat-houses(does not sound right somehow:laughing:)Oggie is a beautiful kitty,at 13 I would not say he's old,I too have one who's 13 yrs old and he still has tons of spunk.
How many kitties do you have at the moment?

onster
July 2nd, 2009, 05:08 PM
wow! great job w the cat houses.

I am sooooooo jealous now!!

Oggie looks like such a gentle soul :lovestruck:

Jim Hall
July 2nd, 2009, 05:13 PM
hey cats love me my g calls me the cat whisperer ps i can cook too

TwinTails
July 2nd, 2009, 05:20 PM
I wish I had a house and big yard - I'd love to have a few of these for my cats (or stubborn outside-only cats or ferrals or whatever, lol). If I ever win the lottery, I will build a house with a huge outdoor run connected to the house so all my kitties can enjoy the outdoors while still being very safe :)

edwina
July 2nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
Edwina - have you tried the Furminator on Oggie?
No but i want to get one. :rolleyes:

Was going to ask, does he have the same roof type as the other kitties do?
Yes he does. :) Where the houses are being build is my kitty pavilion :D

How many kitties do you have at the moment?
I have :rolleyes: 11 permanent residents ( Oggie 13, salem 3, bear 15, tater bug 10months, sis 13, freckles ?, backy 3, pansy 4, viola 4, sparky 1, squirt 2), bear and salem are in the house, and some strays , 2 of which are named Fancy and Gabby, i havent been able to get too close to them yet. :)

I talked to my dad, and we agree, you can be a tenant if you eat the same cat food as the rest. :D

Jim Hall
July 2nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
but i get cable/ HMMMM

Dee-O-Gee
July 2nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
Holy smokes Edwina! You have more that the half of the alphabet! :eek:

Fancy and Gabby don't know what they're missing. Hopefully they'll come around sometime soon for you. :pray: How long have they've been strays?

Jim Hall
July 2nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
and you wanted to leave this crazy bunch???

TacoGrl
July 2nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
and you wanted to leave this crazy bunch???

Yea, what he said! :thumbs up

Jim Hall
July 2nd, 2009, 10:07 PM
ok so i get an enclousure and cable but gotta eat cat food

how bout if I cook for ya im very good

edwina
July 2nd, 2009, 11:32 PM
Fancy and Gabby don't know what they're missing. Hopefully they'll come around sometime soon for you. How long have they've been strays?
Well there is a mother cat that keeps showing up to eat the food i put out for freckles and backy , then when her kittens get big enough to dump she does, she has dumped 3 litters so far on my doorstep. I need to get a trap and trap her. Sparky, little freck, glamour puss, and Fancy were in the first litter. I finally got around those cats, sparky and little freck were the easiest, then little freck got ill a month ago and i had to put him to sleep. Glamour puss was just coming around for me to 'demesticate' her, and she got hit by a car. :sad: I still havent been able to get fancy to trust me enough. Gabby was from her second litter, along with a brother. He took off, i havent seen him. She is very talkative, thats why we named her gabby. I really need to catch that female baby producer. :frustrated:

Jim Hall
July 2nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
got the same thing here with the hoard mama had 2lits is sched ofr surgery in 2 weeks

growler~GateKeeper
July 3rd, 2009, 01:58 AM
Oggie looks mighty comfy hanging out on his shelf :D Great job on the houses :thumbs up

hunnybunny
July 3rd, 2009, 06:45 AM
Well Done for all you do for your Kitties:)

They are very lucky to have you huni x

BenMax
July 3rd, 2009, 07:52 AM
Well Done for all you do for your Kitties:)

They are very lucky to have you huni x

I second this! Good for you and those cats are very lucky to have someone looking out for them!:thumbs up

Dog Dancer
July 3rd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Great cat condo's there Edwina. You're so lucky your father is willing and able to help you out with caring for your crew. It's a fine thing you are doing taking care of the strays also. Good Karma will live with you. Keep up the good work. Oggie looks like he has cattitude!

edwina
July 3rd, 2009, 01:13 PM
Here is a few more pics i took. He doesnt like modelling when i have the camera. When the camera isnt on him, he does his oggie shuffle ( he likes to roll and rub, and pull himself around the carpet.) :D

edwina
July 3rd, 2009, 01:15 PM
A couple more of him loving up his house. :D

ancientgirl
July 3rd, 2009, 01:20 PM
He looks like he's got some Scottish fold in him, because of his ears. I love his cream coloring. I really wish I could do something like this for my cats.

edwina
July 3rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
He looks like he's got some Scottish fold in him, because of his ears. I love his cream coloring. I really wish I could do something like this for my cats.

He is scottish fold. :D But him and his brothers ears didnt fold till they where close to a year (which is rare, they usually do it by six months) . There sister's ears never did fold, which is common.

ancientgirl
July 3rd, 2009, 01:31 PM
Aha! See I knew there was a reason he looked like one.:laughing:

14+kitties
July 3rd, 2009, 03:30 PM
He just looks like a big love bug. :cloud9: What a cutie!!

Love4himies
July 3rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
He had a little smaller house that he had had for sometime , so now he got an upgrade. He likes getting out on a leash and playing everyday. But he loves his house. I even sheared him of some of his hair yesterday ( he is very thick furred and doesnt shed easily) , and he left me do it, which is very uncommon, he usually does the death roll to avoid it. :)
No unfortunetly he doesnt play well with other cats. So that is why he is in his own house. He used to play with our cat Tigger, but she died last winter, and there is nobody else that can put him in his place like she could. But he is very loving to me and my dad, he dont really like strangers. :rolleyes:
My other senior cat Sis's house will go right next to his, they will be able to see each other nicely. :)
Me and my father built the house for him and Taterbug's also which is bigger , but she will be living with another cat.
He is my blonde honeybear. :cloud9:

Awwww, he does look like a honeybear.

Puddles hates getting her fur cut in the spring too, but it is a must so she doesn't get knots and furballs. :laughing:

Yup, sometimes it takes a female cat to lead the pack and put the others in their place.

:rip: Tigger :candle:

TwinTails
July 3rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
he has such beautiful eyes :cloud9: :lovestruck: :cloud9:

chico2
July 3rd, 2009, 05:17 PM
Edwina,I was going to ask what was wrong with Oggies ears,maybe frost-bites,but a Scottish Fold explains it,much better than frost-bite:thumbs up

edwina
July 4th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Puddles hates getting her fur cut in the spring too, but it is a must so she doesn't get knots and furballs. :laughing:
Yeah unfortunetly Oggie gets his hairballs on his back over winter, and i cant shear them then since he is an outside cat. So i have to wait till it gets warm enough, then it usually takes me a week to get them off because i have to do a little each day. :rolleyes: :D

Awwww, he does look like a honeybear.
Yes i have several pet names for him besides honey bear like my butterscotch krimpet, honeybun, and my butterball. :o

Yup, sometimes it takes a female cat to lead the pack and put the others in their place.
Yeah Tigger always kept him in his place, he was too scared to mess with her, and she was so tiny. :D I used to joke and say she was venimous. :laughing: She was my protector too, nobody messed with mom either. It was funny one time, i accidently stepped on freckles's foot because i didnt know he was standing behind me, and he slapped me with his paw, and she ran over and layed him out. :laughing:

This was tigger drinking her kitty milk :sad: i miss her, she was half the size of oggie. :)

Tundra_Queen
July 4th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Oggie is adorable! I thought his ear were frost bit too, but glad they didn't. Tigger was pretty too!

I love your cat houses. I have been wanting to build some kind of enclosure on our patio and into the garden. So that when I go to sit on the patio my 3 cats came join me and the dog.

Is that chicken wire u are using? I thought of using chicken wire, but didn't think it would strong enough. I thought maybe wire that they use for rabbit cages, but that is so much more expensive. If u find chicken wire strong enough maybe I will use it too. How long has Oggie been using the cat house?

Debbie :D

edwina
July 4th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Is that chicken wire u are using? I thought of using chicken wire, but didn't think it would strong enough. I thought maybe wire that they use for rabbit cages, but that is so much more expensive. If u find chicken wire strong enough maybe I will use it too. How long has Oggie been using the cat house?

Yes its chicken wire, and i havent had any problems with it being strong enough. After you staple it up put strips of wood over the wire to make it secure. :) He has only had his new house for about a week now. But he has always lived in a kitty house, it was just a little smaller than that one. He likes to get out on his leash everyday, we have a long wire with leashes on it that spans about 50 ft that they walk along, it looks like a very long clothes line. :)

Chaser
July 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Oggie looks very happy in his house...what a cutie! :lovestruck:

You definately go above and beyond for your kitties. :)

14+kitties
July 4th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Tundra - there are different gauges of chicken wire. As long as you get a heavier gauge you are ok. The light ones that chickens are sometimes enclosed with does no good for kitties.

cpietra16
July 4th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Jim...you can cook? Do you have brother???
Edwina I love the cat house and your babies look so happy

Jim Hall
July 4th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Jim...you can cook? Do you have brother???
Edwina I love the cat house and your babies look so happy
lol sorry bro has no concept of what a kitchen is for and yes i can cook almost all of my meals are home made eating out os too $$$ and not as good

Bina
July 4th, 2009, 01:17 PM
On my quail cages I had to use the strong rabbit wire....yes it's more costly, but a couple of years ago a stoat (small weasel) broke into my chicken coop and he killed my most beautiful hen.
These days I don't keep fowl, but Miss Mitten cat needs a play house for times like now when the chipmunk babies are out and about.

Tundra_Queen
July 4th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Tundra - there are different gauges of chicken wire. As long as you get a heavier gauge you are ok. The light ones that chickens are sometimes enclosed with does no good for kitties.

Thanks...I will have to check at the hardware store. Now I wonder how I can get son to agree to this after we finish the cat tree.. :laughing:

Edwina I was wondering if we'd have to cover the wire with wood,,that's good to know.

Was oggie a feral is that why he is outside? Or do the cats come in the house at night time?

Debbie

growler~GateKeeper
July 5th, 2009, 02:22 AM
That's a great 1st pic in post 43 of Oggie - shows off his colour & his eyes very nicely :thumbs up

edwina
July 5th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Was oggie a feral is that why he is outside? Or do the cats come in the house at night time?

He was a kitten of a feral cat that we domesticated, she had one litter before she was given a house. :cat:

That's a great 1st pic in post 43 of Oggie - shows off his colour & his eyes very nicely :thumbs up

He's a natural. :cloud9:

mikischo
July 5th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Love all the pics of Oggie but the closeup of him in post 43 is also one of my favourites. He definitely has a lot of the classic features of a Scottish Fold: the folded ears, those big beautiful rounded eyes and the rounded face and body. Beautiful boy:lovestruck:

It is obvious you and your dad put a lot of loving care and attention into custom building the houses to suit the individual needs of the cat(s) for whom they are intended. Oggie is definitely very proud and contented with his new house. Great job:thumbs up.

edwina
July 5th, 2009, 09:41 PM
He definitely has a lot of the classic features of a Scottish Fold: the folded ears, those big beautiful rounded eyes and the rounded face and body. Beautiful boy :lovestruck:

I agree. :cloud9:

Oggie is definitely very proud and contented with his new house.
Yeah i knew he would really like it, because it was roomier than his last house, but i never knew he would be this happy. :lovestruck:
He deserves it. :flirt: