Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Leaving the field that I love

NoahGrey
July 1st, 2009, 09:09 AM
Hello,

I know that there are some on here that know me professionally. Even though I love the Animal Control field, I am leaving it to go back to school in the fall.

I have decided to broaden my passion, which is animals and their welfare. And will be taking the Fish and Wildlife Conservation tech program.

I am extremely excited for this program, however I am not antipating the huge loan I will have to take out. I will have to move inorder to go to school.

I will be working for the Humane Society that I work for until september.

Anyone on here or know someone who has taken the Fish and Wildlife tech program at Fleming College.

ACO22

Winston
July 1st, 2009, 09:14 AM
Aco22 change is good! the tough part is getting used to it and making the changes to get there if that makes sense!

I think there may be some on here that have taken the course but not sure of that location!

Are you able to work part time in the aco feld while going to school?

Good Luck

Cindy

P.S I changed fields after working for many years and I did it while working full time ..it took me 4 1/2 yrs to complete it that way but I dont regret it now~!

BenMax
July 1st, 2009, 09:17 AM
ACO22 - good for you and congratulations! You are going to be amazing in this field and I wish you the very best.

Whatever you learned in this present employment will be instrumental for this field. I am so very happy for you!:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
July 1st, 2009, 09:39 AM
How exciting! Congratulations, ACO22! That first step can be intimidating, but I'm sure you won't regret it in the end. You're going to be awesome in your new field!!

Love4himies
July 1st, 2009, 10:08 AM
Congratulations and good luck! I think you will do very well in that field.

Mat&Murph
July 1st, 2009, 10:58 AM
Congrats and good luck!!!!! The experience you have will only make everything better and easiler for you! Wish you all the best!!

Magicwildwolf69
July 1st, 2009, 11:50 AM
awww change can be scary and fun too! good luck and congrats i'm sure you will be very happy!

Jim Hall
July 1st, 2009, 11:51 AM
congrats you gonna be a superstar!!!

NoahGrey
July 1st, 2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys,

I am excited for it but have to be honest, my family is not. Because of changing paths, I guess you could call it, I will have to take a pretty big loan, about $20 000 to do it. this is for the whole 2 years, rent, food, books, tuition, car payments and car insurance. I am trying to get my own self contained apartment or even a basement apartment. If I can, I'd perfer to live by myself. I am 31 years old and am a very quiet person. I am not into partying anymore, although I do enjoy a good time, a few hours at a bar/pub is good enough for me.

Plus my cat is coming with me as well. She gets stressed VERY easily and doesn't like other people or animals. What can I tell you, she is a calico...very naratic. So, if I were to get a roommate, they could not bring any dogs or cats into the apartment. Which I don't think it would be a problem. I don't think too many people bringing their pets with them. Most are young adults....the partying kind *shutters* *lol*

So...what is everyone's thoughts on it. Would you go back to school, if you loan was alot.

Are you able to work part time in the aco feld while going to school?

Not at school. During the summer months, I can come back and work for the summer for the HS, doing what I was doing. Animal Protection Officer. the summer position runs from April to Sept. Which I could possibly not get a big loan, I could use the 2nd year rent, on the money that I made while working. that would knock off a couple thousand.

ACO22

Mat&Murph
July 1st, 2009, 01:15 PM
If the career change is for the better then yeah, no doupt about it!!! You will do fine and you are still young so you have plenty of time. Hugs and cuddles to your cat for the changes ahead :grouphug:

BenMax
July 1st, 2009, 01:52 PM
ACO22 - if I knew then, what I know now, yes I would go for that loan. You MUST follow your dream. I can tell you first hand that you will regret it if you do not.

BTW - my daughter is going to University. It is costing $15,000 + for the first year and $10,000 each year thereafter. Yes, her dad and I are paying for it and yes I am personally going into debt.

Life is this way. But the rewards in the end will be worth every single penny.

Don't hesitate - go for gold!:thumbs up

Dekka
July 1st, 2009, 02:27 PM
I graduated from Fleming. They have some AMAZING teachers. Great people all around. Just make sure there are actual jobs in what you are taking.

Good luck!

NoahGrey
July 1st, 2009, 02:43 PM
I graduated from Fleming. They have some AMAZING teachers. Great people all around. Just make sure there are actual jobs in what you are taking.

Good luck!

Thanks. Yeah, the employment i hear is pretty good. You just have to move...alot of jobs up north and out west. While some are in the states.

ACO22

bendyfoot
July 2nd, 2009, 10:43 AM
I'm (fingers crossed ) going back to school in January, too, after having been away for over 4 years. It's going to mean 4 more years of school and a significant drop in our household income. I understand the anxiety and the questioning if it's the right thing to do. Luckily I have a very supportive partner who wants me to pursue my dreams...

good luck to you!:thumbs up:fingerscr

NoahGrey
July 2nd, 2009, 11:15 AM
Ok, so I have been frusted at week, trying to figure everything out *lol*

See, I really love the place that I am renting right now. So, I am trying to find ways to still live here, and communte. Hence teh go train. I have come to the conclusion that there are three cities that I can take a go train into, then have to take a grehound into Lindsay and depending on day and time, there might not always be a bus in or out.

So, I have been thinking of driving the communite with my car. Yeah it would be a pain in the ass, but at least I have the place that I love and I don't have to uproot...again. I have uprooted 6 times in four years and I am tired *LOL*.

Hazel: If I do plan on moving up to Lindsay, I want my own place. I don't want the partying, serious about school, not really keen on sharing stuff with a stranger, etc. Plus I have a cat that would be coming with me. If I were to get a room in a house, I would be parnoid that my cat would somehow get out. With me having my own place, once I leave, I know someone will not be there to access my place, other then me.

I have looked into my budget and there is not much of a difference in a loan, if I move up there or stay here. So why not try and stay in the place where I am now? Just the ware and tare on my car.

ACO22

ownedbycats
July 2nd, 2009, 11:33 AM
Good luck with your back to school commuting. You do realize you just gave us another person to bug with questions about wildlife, right?:D

BenMax
July 2nd, 2009, 11:53 AM
Good luck with your back to school commuting. You do realize you just gave us another person to bug with questions about wildlife, right?:D

:lightbulb:Maybe ACO22 could be the Wildlife Pets Expert...just a thought....

NoahGrey
July 2nd, 2009, 12:04 PM
HAHA Bexmax. I don't mind being that.

Soo..do you guys think I would be crazy to drive a 2 hours for school, if you really loved the place you were at.

ACO22

Mat&Murph
July 2nd, 2009, 12:09 PM
If you really love the place you are at, and it is affordable then stay where you are. I know alot of people who do that commute.

NoahGrey
July 2nd, 2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks guys,

Anyone know if a site that would be looking to car pooling, even if it is just one person, looking to drive back and forth to Lindsay? Would save on gas and such.

I am in the GTA area.

ACO22

Mat&Murph
July 2nd, 2009, 12:15 PM
I will ask around, My huuby's family is from Lindsay and we know a few commuters.

NoahGrey
July 2nd, 2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks. It would be a communite from GTA area to Lindsay and back.

ACO22

onster
July 2nd, 2009, 04:02 PM
Congrats ACO22!

You are so passionate bout all that you do that I'm sure you'll be amazing. I hear ya bout the living situation woes!

NoahGrey
July 2nd, 2009, 04:41 PM
Congrats ACO22!

You are so passionate bout all that you do that I'm sure you'll be amazing. I hear ya bout the living situation woes!

Thanks and I hear ya. I just found out that I was accepted a week ago, so for the last week I am soo stressed. I have jumped from getting a place out there, love my apartment here and don't want to give it up, so do I drive 2 hours, for a total of 4 hours a day...not to mention the when the winter comes.

I knock on wood, hopefully found for just in case, I will have to move there, have found a place. And it is a one bedroom apartment, so that means no sharing, no roommates and it is a quiet buildling. And the rent is good and best of all no lease.

Plus, I can bring my cat.

plus getting the whole loan can sometimes be tricky.

ACO22

Sylvie
July 2nd, 2009, 07:35 PM
Wow, quite a few decisions for you to make. You are young and you should go for it.

4 hours travel is a long time. Hubby travels 2 and a half hours everyday and it does take its toll.:eek: When will you have time for study. Having said that you have to do what you think is right for you.

Good luck, you will do fine. :D

Gail P
July 3rd, 2009, 12:16 AM
I graduated from the SSFC F&W Tech program in '92. Back then there seemed to be lots of places available to rent in Lindsay. A couple of my friends also opted for renting motel units down on River Road (can't remember the name of the place now), or a cottage up at Long Beach in Cameron (you'll also take a few field trips up to Long Beach for some boating and netting). If you're thinking about doing the commute (I'd hate that personally!), check out the bulletin board at the college to see if anyone else has the same idea, or post a message there yourself. Also, if you have any difficulty with loans, look into getting a mature student loan through the college. I have all my old college books still, there's some I still want to hang onto but also some I'd let go. If they're still using the same books I could give you a good deal on some of them.
Are you just going to do the 2-year program, or are you also considering 3rd year? Considering your line of work now 3rd year might make sense, getting into the law enforcement aspect.

Back when I was in college my family lived in Scarborough, and cottaged in Minden. I never considered doing the 1 1/2 hour drive from the city for college. Thought about living at the cottage and commuting the 1 hour down but instead I boarded with some friends at a farm a little bit north of Lindsay. Took my horses there during my 2nd year as well. In fact, come to think of it, my student loan is what bought my now 19 year old gelding when he was just a yearling :o (hey, some people waste away their loans on partying, at least I made a lasting investment :D ) Was really nice to get done school and go home to sit out in the field with my baby.

I enjoyed the program but I never did end up working in that field other than summer jobs when I was still a student. I didn't really pursue it much after school as at the time there was a lot of restructuring going on in the MNR and it seemed like employment opportunities were becoming more short-term contracts rather than permanent positions. I didn't want to be hopping around from location to location, I was becoming settled where I am now. I worked at several different jobs over the years until I went on maternity leave and then became a stay at home mom. I also started up my own business teaching riding lessons, which I've just given up this year and am now doing goose control with a couple of my border collies.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the program; I sure did. Oh, the memories. Just wait until you have to learn all the fishies by their scientific names (and spell them right too! :D How about these? Oncorhynchus tschawytscha, Salvelinus namaycush and the very interesting Percopsis omiscomaycus) Oh, yeah, and the trees and shrubs too, and camp out in the snow during spring camp and count the piles of deer poop...I remember spring camp my first year I had brought along soup and hot chocolate and all food that needed cooking and my poor 2nd year partner had sandwiches and all cold food because her previous year they couldn't get a fire started. Luckily I had some campcraft skills and we got a nice fire going. That was at Nogies Creek deer yard. Second year spring camp we were up at the Percy Lake deer yard and my partners and I had our names drawn for the only cabin available so we had a wood stove and a nice warm place to sleep. Fall camp up in Gogama was fun too, we stayed at a Junior Ranger camp and did lots of work out on the lake. Good times.

chico2
July 3rd, 2009, 04:53 PM
ACO,seeing I know you personally,I know that following your dream is the right thing to do.
You are wonderful with animals and a smart young lady,you'll do good.
I think moving to Lindsay would be a better idea,if you can find something suitable,a 2 hour commute might not sound too bad now,but once you are doing it,it will be a bit too much.
Good Luck:thumbs up

NoahGrey
July 3rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks guys,

I hope I have a place. I spoke with a lady yesterday about a place. 1 bedroom cottage apartment. It's really cute, get my own nice balcony/patio and even french doors. It is on the second floor. My have my own place, don't have to share, it's quiet and I don't have to worry about someone letting out my cat.

She sounded that was very happy with me and said that she seems I would be a good fit. I did tell her that I am 31, female, am not into partying and am serious about school. She also stated that she doesn't like partiers and that it is an quiet area. Plus the guy who lives beside me, she said that he does shift work, so i don;'t have to worry about him being loud and having people over. Nice to know that he is a fulltime worker and not a college kid.

Plus it is right on a lake.

She is now gone on vacation and won't be back until the middle of July, so I told her that I would call her then. I also asked her if she had someone showing the place within the time that she was gone and she said no. I am hoping to go and see it when she gets back.

knock on wood in getting the place:)

ACO22

Mat&Murph
July 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM
That sounds ideal!!! :goodvibes: for you

chico2
July 4th, 2009, 07:50 AM
:fingerscrfor the loan and the apt:fingerscrsounds ideal:thumbs up