Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dermatitis in two cats

jenny123
July 1st, 2009, 03:25 AM
I have two 6 year old indoor only cats. Recently I started bringing my dog in during the afternoon heat. She's current on flea/tick/heartworm preventatives. I started the cats on Revolution. Now a week later they both have red moist lesions (miliary) on their face. There's no sign of fleas on them and my other thought is being exposed to mites. However Revolution is a preventative and sometimes treatment for mites.

growler~GateKeeper
July 1st, 2009, 03:59 AM
Did you use the same package dose for the cats that you use for the dog?

Sounds like both cats have had an adverse reaction as mentioned in the product info (http://www.revolution4cats.com/default.aspx?sec=Prescribing%20Information) likely one of/or a combination of pruritis, urticaria, and erythema. All skin rashes with erruptions.

Take the package with you when you visit the vet for treatment, so they know what & how much they were exposed to.

jenny123
July 1st, 2009, 05:12 AM
The Revolution was the cat dose prescribed to them. I've used it on them before with no reaction, but I don't habitually use it because they stay indoors and they put up a big fuss about it.

growler~GateKeeper
July 1st, 2009, 02:02 PM
I'm glad it was the cat dose then :D. Even though they have used it before without incident, this still might be a reaction to it as formulas do change and the body is always adapting to changes. Best to have a vet look at it anyways :)

Hazmat
July 3rd, 2009, 07:24 AM
Treat dog and both cats on the same day of the month.

For indoor cats, keeping their rear nailes trimmed will minimize the scabbing.

lUvMyLaB<3
July 3rd, 2009, 09:12 AM
Did a vet say it is dermatitis? Did he do a skin scraping? Could it be ringdworm? Good luck!