Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Great Pyrenees- surrender?

bethann
July 1st, 2009, 12:36 AM
I have a 4 yr old Great Pyrenees male, Jonah, that is our family pet. However, he is causing so much trouble in so many ways, that I don't know how we can keep him. We are thinking of surrendering him. We have a large caged-in area for him- with 8' fence and a shelter, though he sleeps in-home at night. He will escape constantly. No matter how many times we have reinforced the fence, etc- he finds a way out. The police are very upset with us and are beginning to threaten us. We get calls at all hours of the day, and night if he escapes before we bring him in, that someone has him. I'm not exaggerating when I say that he'll get out twice a day and that we are always fixing the fence.

Should we try an electric fence? We do not have the money to buy a new fence/kennel. Our house is tiny and I have 2 toddlers, so he can't stay inside- he hates it inside anyway.

We are also very busy and do not have the time/money to care for him that I know that he needs.

Any suggestions are welcome.

TeriM
July 1st, 2009, 02:53 AM
It sounds to me like you are not giving this "family pet" the family home that he obviously craves and deserves and he might be better off in a family who can incorporate him into their home and family. I would suggest to definately NOT list him on craigslist etc or surrender him to a shelter. Is he neutered? Make sure you contact a reputable rescue and especially look for a breed specific rescue as this is the best way to insure his safety.

BenMax
July 1st, 2009, 07:42 AM
Ohhh...where do you live and depending where it is I may be able to find a good rescue group that will train him and get him accustomed to living as a family member.

You have not mentioned if there are any behavioural problems so he sounds like a wonderful pet that would be a great candidate for re-homing without difficulty.

Let me know where you live.

Sara1585
July 1st, 2009, 09:49 AM
It sounds like he is not happy in the environment. The breed is a working breed and will do what they can to get away from an area where they are not happy. The breed is used with a lot of sheep farmers. If he is noot neutered that could be another reason why he is taking off. I also know a rescue that might be able to him, let me know what area you are in. I have owned one before and they can make wonderful family pets.

chartigris
September 2nd, 2010, 08:44 PM
We already have a Pyrenees, plus I grew up with them, so know the breed quite well. We would love to give him a real home and rehabilitate him. Where do you live?

14+kitties
September 2nd, 2010, 09:48 PM
We already have a Pyrenees, plus I grew up with them, so know the breed quite well. We would love to give him a real home and rehabilitate him. Where do you live?

This is an old post. The OP never came back after the first post. :thumbs up

chartigris
September 3rd, 2010, 01:16 AM
This is an old post. The OP never came back after the first post. :thumbs up
Thanks for the reply, 14+kitties ... I only noticed after that it was an old post. Too bad we didn't hear what happened to the poor fella :(

Frenchy
September 3rd, 2010, 10:15 AM
chartigris , here's Pyrenees up for adoption in your area :

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?animal_type=Dog&pet_breed=pyrenee&location=bc&startsearch=Search

HelenNutmeg
September 4th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I see them on the kill lists too..