Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advantage expiry dates

Winston
June 30th, 2009, 08:21 PM
This probably sounds like a silly question but is it critical to go by the expiry dates on the advantage products purchased through the vets office?

I am not very good at making sure that Winston always gets his and sometimes I end up with left overs. The next year I go again and so on...so now I have a few left over and the boxes each have an expired date on them?

I have both pill form and the one for the back of the neck?

I guess they are garbage now?

Winston
July 1st, 2009, 07:47 PM
anyone know??

luckypenny
July 1st, 2009, 08:15 PM
If you trust your vet, or perhaps contact the manufacturer, they can better offer that info to you.

When I see dates printed on packaging, I view it as a 'best before' not a 'it's gonna kill you one day after' :D.

Winston
July 1st, 2009, 08:18 PM
Lp some of these dates are from prior years??

luckypenny
July 1st, 2009, 08:20 PM
If it were me, I'd probably go a few months ahead of the date...certainly not years later though as the composition of the ingredients may have changed :shrug:. It can either become ineffective or toxic :shrug:.

Love4himies
July 1st, 2009, 08:21 PM
I would not worry if it is soon after the expiry date, but months after, I would throw it out.

Winston
July 1st, 2009, 08:29 PM
So that would apply to both pills and the topical you put behind the neck?

I seem to have a collection of both?? About 10 pills for Heartguard and 3 tubes of the topical.

I just took another look at the boxes and the pills show an expiry date on them of Sept 06 and Sept 07.

The topical from Bayer the Advantage 100 doesnt have an expiry date?

Cindy

luckypenny
July 1st, 2009, 08:45 PM
I'd certainly not use the pills. If you can't find an expiry date, better safe than sorry and not use the topicals either. Call your vet and ask if there's a safe way to dispose of it rather than throwing it into the garbage...if they don't take back old meds, perhaps a pharmacy will dispose of it for you.

TacoGrl
July 1st, 2009, 09:26 PM
A lot of meds lose their potency after the expirey date...a quick e-mail to the manufacturer usually gets a quick e-mail back (been there-done that)...they may just say to use it by the date, but ask them what happens close to the date and then judge yourself...:shrug:

Personally, I am usually pretty strick about expirey dates cuz you just never know :shrug: I saw on the news tonight that Petcetera is selling outdated food (as much as a year old :eek:) and it made a kitty VERY ill and they aren't doing anything to help! I know we are talking about meds, but like I said, you never know. :shrug:

As for disposing of meds, any fire station will take them AND you get to talk to a fireman!:flirt: