Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

newbie here...cat meowing us to death

amorcita
June 30th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Hello!
We adopted a Ragdoll cat from a woman on craigslist about a year ago. I wanted a kitty and she wanted to get rid of hers. I only mention that he is purebred in case it might have some bearing on the situation.
He is 9 years old, neutered and 25 lbs. His breed runs large, but he is a bit of a "hog" about food, so we are very careful to feed him only twice a day. No leaving dry food out for this guy!!!
He is very much a "floor cat" and also doesn't go in for much affection. He usually gets up and walks about a foot away when affection is offered him (we think this is hilarious, btw. It's pretty much a full time job making fun of the cat).
He is completely vetted, no issues in sight.

SO WHY WILL HE NOT STOP MEOWING!!!?!?!?!?!?!????

He's always been pretty vocal but lately it is off the hook. Yes, we did move 4 months ago but this started happening way after he got adjusted to the new place. He doesn't seem to want to play (I try, but he loses interest quickly).
Is hoggy just wanting more food? I would think that is the answer except that he's only been doing this for a few weeks.

HELP PLEASE!!!

ancientgirl
June 30th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Maybe he's bored? Do you have something for him to occupy his time? Maybe he just wants to talk to you.:D Mine don't meow much, but I do have one, Kiska, that likes to meow quite a bit at me when I'm in the kitchen. I always say she's yelling at me about something, but when she meows, I just talk to her.

Maybe some of the others here might be able to shed some light.

amorcita
June 30th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Thank you for your reply!!
Diego used to be like your Kiska... just wanting conversation. And I would talk back to him. Now he just YELLS and YELLS.
I am a smoker but I don't smoke in my house... everytime I go outside I can hear Diego YOWLING. or even when I am sitting right here in front of the computer, he will YOWL, back away from my attention (which, as I said, is not unusual) and then YOWL some more.

What the heck does he want? He will even yowl in the morning after I have fed him and he still has food in the bowl.

PS the woman that had him for eight years said he was very particular about being paid attention to... don't want y'all to think my cat doesn't like me.

i am at a loss here

ancientgirl
June 30th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Maybe a playmate?:shrug:

Love4himies
June 30th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Glad to see you have joined my world :laughing: :laughing:. I have a possible ragdoll who meows and meows and meows and meows and meows, you get the picture :laughing:.

He, like your cat, gets very upset when we are not in the room with him. Sounds like these two kitties are very similar.

What colour is yours?

Love4himies
June 30th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Have you tried picking him up and walking around with him? That seems to settle mine down. He does love having litter of kittens around him and that keeps him quiet (and pooped out). Have you thought about fostering for your local shelter?

BTW, Jasper starts his meowing at 5 AM.

I would love to see a picture of him. :cloud9:

amorcita
June 30th, 2009, 08:58 PM
ancientgirl:: that would be another of my thoughts, if it weren't for the fact that his last mommy gave him away because he didn't get along w a 'new playmate' (don't get me started on getting rid of a cat you've had for 8 years for a new one....)

Love4:: hahah!!! i don't mean to laugh but it's nice to find someone stuck in the same boat?? At least I know I am not alone!! Diego is a "seal point mitted". He's a very pretty boy. He is VERY unlike his breed in that he *hates* to be picked up. No "ragdoll" goin on there!!!

I do love him to bits though. Best free Craigslist find ever, even though he is a jerk.

Now if I could just get him to stop meowing so much..

ancientgirl
June 30th, 2009, 09:02 PM
You know, it could be that Diego didn't like his previous roommate because they weren't introduced properly.

TacoGrl
June 30th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Have you taken him to a vet to see if maybe there is something medical wrong with him? Are all of his body functions normal?

My Messina meows all the time too, but it's more like little grunts...I only get an actual meow if I am taking too long getting her food to her! :rolleyes:

Tundra_Queen
July 1st, 2009, 02:34 AM
Hi

Could it be that he is in pain? U said he is a big cat,,, is there a chance he might be getting hip dyplasia cause of his size? I think it is main coons that get hip dyplasia too cause they are so large.

He might still be having a hard time in the new place. I know a lady at Walmart talked to me about her cat meowing all the time after they moved. Maye u could try some Feliway to see if that would calm him down? Or put a bird feeder at the window so he can watch the birds and keep occupied.

Debbie

TeriM
July 1st, 2009, 03:40 AM
He might still be having a hard time in the new place. I know a lady at Walmart talked to me about her cat meowing all the time after they moved. Maye u could try some Feliway to see if that would calm him down? Or put a bird feeder at the window so he can watch the birds and keep occupied.

Good suggestions :thumbs up. Is it possible that he is losing his hearing? Is there another cat in the area that might be upsetting him?

edwina
July 1st, 2009, 10:53 AM
It could be also that he is just a gabber. :D I have cats that you hear a meow once a month, then others dont stop. I find that males are more vocal than females, i dont know why. :cat:

Love4himies
July 1st, 2009, 11:02 AM
ancientgirl:: that would be another of my thoughts, if it weren't for the fact that his last mommy gave him away because he didn't get along w a 'new playmate' (don't get me started on getting rid of a cat you've had for 8 years for a new one....)

Love4:: hahah!!! i don't mean to laugh but it's nice to find someone stuck in the same boat?? At least I know I am not alone!! Diego is a "seal point mitted". He's a very pretty boy. He is VERY unlike his breed in that he *hates* to be picked up. No "ragdoll" goin on there!!!

I do love him to bits though. Best free Craigslist find ever, even though he is a jerk.

Now if I could just get him to stop meowing so much..

I didn't mean to laugh either, but at the time I was reading your post, Jasper was driving us crazy with his meowing.

My Jasper doesn't like to be picked up for too long either, I think he gets too hot. It took about a year for our Jasper to really trust us, we adopted him from the SPCA when he was about 5 years old. No history on him.

He is the best cat for socializing my foster kittens who don't have their momma.

Does he go limp when you do pick him up?