Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Gatineau, QC set to impose severe restrictions on bullies and look-alikes

Aodhan
June 30th, 2009, 12:32 PM
The City of Gatineau (formerly Hull, Gatineau, Aylmer, etc.), just east of Ottawa, will most probably adopt changes to its animal control by-law, making it in sync with the rest of the region (Ottawa and MRC des Collines).

"Any pit-bull, including Staffordshire bull-terrier, American Staffordshire bull-terrier (all names and spelling are the city's) or any breed mix with similar physical characteristics, will be considered potentially dangerous dogs, along with any dog, no matter the breed or mix, that has bitten, tried to bite or attacked another dog or person for no valid reason, has shown aggressive behaviour by growling, baring its teeth, barking ferociously or acting in any other manner indicating that the animal could bite or attack a person, has not obeyed repeated orders from its guardian, has shown aggressive behaviour or is in defensive/offensive mode such that it is ready to attack a person or an animal.

All animals found guilty of any of the previous behaviours will be the object of a request for euthanasia.

The owner or guardian of a potentially dangerous dog must
1) spay/neuter his/her animal
2) vaccinate it against rabies
3) identify the animal with a microchip or a tattoo
4) follow and pass a recognized basic obedience course
5) prove that the preceding has been respected

Any potentially dangerous dog must be kept:
1) in a building where it can't get out
2) in a secure (locked) enclosure
3) on a 2-meter max leash and a muzzle when outside its enclosure

One can not walk more than one potentially dangerous dog at a time

Signage must be used to indicate the presence of a potentially dangerous dog."
(my translation and formatting)

The changes to the by-law are scheduled to be adopted by the municipal council of Gatineau on Tuesday, July 7, 2009.

All dog-owning residents of Gatineau should try to oppose the passing of such a broad legislation and lobby for the implementation of a more progressive legislation which would focus on identifying and correcting inappropriate behaviour (start at the right end of the leash!)

There are no exceptions for well-behaved bullies and lookalikes.

All this seems to stem from a petition by 17-18 residents.
The SPCA Outaouais has failed in its effort to convey that the real problem is animal/owner behaviour, not the breed(s).

Contact your councillor (http://www.ville.gatineau.qc.ca/page.asp?p=la_ville/conseil_municipal) and express you worries at question period (at the start of the council meeting - you have two minutes) http://www.ville.gatineau.qc.ca/page.asp?p=la_ville/mairie_vie_democratique

With the recent refusal by the Supreme Court of Canada to hear the appeal regarding the pit bull ban in Ontario, this legislation is practically bullet-proof.
http://www.bannedaid.com/index.php?pr=Court_Decisions

Gatineau is the fourth largest municipality in Quebec and since copying legislation is a common activity at the municipal level, get ready for changes to your local animal control bylaws.

Dogs will still bite but 'dangerous, blood-thirsty pit bulls will no longer chase helpless children or elderly people' in Gatineau... :rolleyes:

Mat&Murph
June 30th, 2009, 12:36 PM
And so it begins, :wall: :sad: How very sad!!!

BenMax
June 30th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Indeed, this 'poison' has reached La Belle Province! For all of us rescuing these bullies from Ontario - our efforts will be cut soon.

bendyfoot
June 30th, 2009, 02:07 PM
oh for....

:censored:

Melinda
June 30th, 2009, 04:22 PM
are they freaken serious???? good lord, so any well behaved dog attacked by another and actually fights back the owner will be asked to have it euthanized???

muggsmom
July 2nd, 2009, 11:45 AM
are they freaken serious???? good lord, so any well behaved dog attacked by another and actually fights back the owner will be asked to have it euthanized???

That's what happened to Ginger in Toronto!

Un-friggin-believable!!! :wall:

carey
July 6th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Aodhan - several concerned citizens will be requesting that council postpone adopting changes to the dangerous dog bylaws in Gatineau in order to have further discussion or a public consultation. If you have more information on the petition that started all of this, please email me at information@animalaide.ca
Thanks!

Aodhan
July 6th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Aodhan - several concerned citizens will be requesting that council postpone adopting changes to the dangerous dog bylaws in Gatineau in order to have further discussion or a public consultation. If you have more information on the petition that started all of this, please email me at information@animalaide.ca
Thanks!

I will send you what I have but you better get moving NOW because the changes to the bylaw are slated to be voted on tomorrow evening; you will need your petition ready by the start of the council meeting and you should register for the question period (at the beginning of the meeting) to voice your concerns.

carey
July 6th, 2009, 07:41 PM
We have already sent a letter to all councillors and have sent them info on the Calgary model of animal control, which targets bad owners, not specific breeds. My own councillor has already shown support. We will register early in order to speak. Thanks for any further info you may have.

mollywog
July 6th, 2009, 08:29 PM
oh wow, does this mean that a "potentially dangerous dog" must wear a SIGN stating so!??? !
this is awful. I really hope it doesn't pass.