Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Not a good way to sell puppies!!

lUvMyLaB<3
June 29th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Yesturday I ran up to Giant Tiger, close to home, and there was a van parked in the parking lot that had signs made up on the windows that said puppies for sale. In front of the van they had a wooden toy box, with the lid up, another sign on the lid and inside the box was puppies!! They were large breed crosses, like lab, sheperd, types. I clenched my teeth and went into the store and said to my daughter I cannot even go over there if I do, I will freak on them. I calmed myself went over there and said, If you need help finding homes please call and get help finding good homes. The man said they were good dogs and he wanted money for them.. This is sick SICK sick.

SooOO upon some further investigation.. he was at walk mart the day before and kicked out. Giant Tiger gave him permission to be there that day and the day before but the day before they had to leave after 35 minutes because of rain. I called in a complaint and I don't know anything from there, he is now gone. He had his family and the mother dog there also. I want these dogs in rescue NOW, that mother will have more puppies. Sadly, that will never happen.

I used to like Giant Tiger too, the only store nearby and not over the river that had what I needed in a pinch, would run there all the time when i needed something quick, even by bike, it is the only store in the west end, everything else is over the river, or to far away to bike, but this has made me sour about them. Who would allow that? CAN you believe this?!!??!?!

14+kitties
June 29th, 2009, 06:20 PM
That is just so sad. :sad: What chance do those pups have? What a :loser: that guy is! I bet there was no water for the pups either! :wall:
Giant Tiger has gone down a large mark in my books allowing them there.

lUvMyLaB<3
June 29th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Nope there was no water, they had the mother in the van and when some people were looking at the pups they had her out on a leash, she looked like a shep cross, but one of the pups was black and white, I am sure there are at least 30 breeds in them. This guy had a strong accent, so I am not sure where he is from and maybe thinks this is ok. I want to find him and get those dogs! at least the pups and the moma fixed, but then how would he get paid..... :(

14+kitties
June 29th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Maybe someone got the HS to come out and talk to him?
Could you put a complaint in to Giant Tiger's head office? Not sure they would approve either.

lUvMyLaB<3
June 29th, 2009, 07:46 PM
we dont have a HS, I called the police, animal control is through the police, I wont know anything now. I hope they got there in time, and I hope they do something, I don;t know though

Bina
June 29th, 2009, 08:33 PM
You were smart to report that person. I've seen the same thing at a flea market and I've even seen dogs and cats being sold at a farm auction. It's so sad.....

lUvMyLaB<3
June 29th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Seriously I cannot believe it!! I offered help, in finding GOOD homes for the pups, and that is not what he wants, he flat out said he wants the money, they are good dogs, it took everything I have to walk over and say that. I wanted to..to...to.. not talk nice...

Bina
June 29th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I understand totally. We have some of those types too....litter of pups every year.

smckay
June 30th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I saw your note on the puppies being sold at the Giant Tiger parking lot in Brandon.
My name is Scott McKay and our company, The North West Company owns and operates all GT stores in Western Canada.
Be assured that we would never authorize someone to do what you saw outside the store. This individual did not have permission to do this. If you ever see this again please come into the store and speak with someone.
The Store Manager is Curtis and he would certainly put a stop to this immediately.
The store loves doing local fundraising and other events in the parking lot but this sort of activity would never be tolerated.

Thank you for the posting!

Scott
Vice President and General Manager
Giant Tiger West Store Division
The North West Company

Love4himies
June 30th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Thanking for letting us know, Scott. It is great knowing that a store will not tolerate this type of thing.

lUvMyLaB<3
June 30th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Thank you Scott and I appreciate this. But in truth he was given permission by a manager that day. I was standing right next to him. He came inside and asked a girl at the customer service desk if he could be there again today, he said he wanted to because he had to leave the day before after 35 minutes because it rained. The girl then said she would have to ask again. She picked up the phone and called what she said was a manager, then hung up the phone and said yes, they said it is fine. The man said thank you and walked back out. I promise you this, I heard every word.

Thank you so much for responding, and I thank you, I like Giant tiger, i go there all the time, and knowing that you do not like this idea has given me a much better feeling than I had earlier today. I do know there are events there all the time, hot dogs ect, for all sorts of different charities. This really makes me feel better, that you would take the time to respond. But again I promise you that a manager gave him permission. Perhaps it was a shift mamager? I think but not sure when she hung up the phone the girl said 'she' said yes, so it was likely not the store mamager.. Thanks again!

smckay
July 6th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Thank you for the update.
I did speak with the Store Manager, Curtis, while he was on vacation. He has followed up with his team and he has assured me that this would not be repeated. Someone would have outstepped their authority to allow this on the property and your posting got this to the surface at the store very quickly.

Thanks, Scott

BenMax
July 6th, 2009, 11:58 AM
:thumbs upScott - thank you for being pro-active and setting the record straight. Welcome to this board Scott and if you are interested in letting legitimate rescues spread the word about their work in front of your store, let me know and I will connect you with a few. You would be doing animals in need and their saviours one heck of a service.

maneater
July 6th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I saw this lasat year infront of a wallmart in sault michigan. The guy had 3 puppies. I wanted to take them all home and give them good homes. I went up to the guy and started talking to him and he said that he was from further down state and the town he was from everyone basically already had a puppy from the parents he had, so he was trying to sell them in a different location. I just wanted to run away with all the puppies, it was quite sad. I still think about them hoping they all got good loving homes.

lUvMyLaB<3
July 6th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Yes that is a good idea BenMax! If you are ever interested, you can also let me know as I am sure FFFF would take you up on it!

Again Scott, thank you! You taking time out to answer this, and call attention to it at the store level is really incredible. I am very happy to know that this is not ok, as I love that store and I don't know what I would do without it, but animals are so very important to me. Thanks again!

Maneater, it is sad.. These puppies are also listed on the online classifieds on ebrandon, for $90 each, and I am sure they are a mixture of more breeds than what he is saying, I can promise you the mother is far from purebred anything.. poor things.