Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I found gardens at our new house!

mollywog
June 29th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I found some very overgrown perennial beds at the house! Being the beginner gardener that I am, I am reluctant to weed them- what if I pull out something I shouldn't!? :eek:
Maybe some of the green thumbs at Pets.ca can help me ID some of my newly acquired plants!? :o
Let's start off with the ones I DO know!
1. Tiger Lily- should bloom any day now! :fingerscr
2. Pansies- delicate but cute
3. Daisies- also look like they are ready to open

mollywog
June 29th, 2009, 05:41 PM
ok, now for some questions...
1. does anyone know what these leaves are, mixed in with the tiger lilies?
2. Is this a rhubarb plant???
3. Can anyone ID this plant? It was in a small bed at the front of the house and for some reason has sand all over its leaves!! :shrug:

mollywog
June 29th, 2009, 05:43 PM
ok, now time for some unknown plants... any ideas?

Winston
June 29th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Mollywog the last pic looks like a green coral bell to me!

the other one looks like day lillies?

oh and youll have some shasta daisies opening soon too!

nice pics..:thumbs up

mollywog
June 29th, 2009, 05:46 PM
and finally...
1. this little flower bed was totally grown over with tall grass! It took about 30 mins just to get this much cleared!
2. The previous owner let the back of the yard grow over. Looks pretty to me, but I don't think the bylaw officer will agree- this part of the yard backs onto another street :frustrated: so it's quite visible and may be considered an "eyesore"
3. The mandatory Molly pic! Enjoying her new yard!

Winston
June 29th, 2009, 05:46 PM
sorry I posted in between your pics..

in the last set the purple one I have in the front garden but cant remember the exact name but I will look for you. pretty sure its from the daisy family. its raining now so a bit later!

the tall green ones in this last set of three looks like maybe ragweed??

not sure on the short green one in this last set either???

14+kitties
June 29th, 2009, 05:55 PM
The first one mixed in with your lilies - does it have a very strong smell when you crush the leaves? If so it looks like it could be in the hyssop family. That is a herb. The plant can be a real B**** to get rid of if you don't want it. It self seeds readily. If it doesn't smell then it's a safe bet that it's a weed. I have lots of them around too.
The second pic in that set is a weedumpullemoutem.
The third looks either like a coral bell as Winston says or a Lady's Mantle. Lady's Mantle's leaves open like the small ones are.
It looks like you may have some really nice gardens under all the weeds.

mollywog
June 29th, 2009, 05:59 PM
The second pic in that set is a weedumpullemoutem.

It looks like you may have some really nice gardens under all the weeds.

Thanks 14+K! So you think the possible "rhubarb" is a weed? haha shows how much I know!
It's raining now so I will have to wait to check on the ones mixed in with the lilies- they are in there thick!
Any tools/ advice on how to rip out tough weeds??

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2009, 06:02 PM
In post 2, I only see daylilies and asiatics in the first shot...the daylilies are the ones with long blades... Don't know what the second plant in that set is, but it doesn't look like rhubarb to me :shrug: The third plant in post 2 looks like a coral bell to me, too! :thumbs up

Post 3--the first shot looks like phlox, the second like dogbane...not sure about the third, but it's gorgeous!

And in the wild grass pics, I can see orange (and maybe yellow) hawkweed. We have lots of that, too, if we let the lawn go. :D Too bad you can't leave it--you'd have lots of butterflies coming to that area!

Winston
June 29th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Ive always used a good glove and strong hands! works better than any tool I can think of! :laughing:

I am not sure what the tall yellow and orangey red ones are?

maybe 14+ will know?

Cindy

mollywog
June 29th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks Hazel!! I find it funny how you always claim to be a bad gardener, but here you are with all the know how and recently- the pics to prove yourself wrong! :laughing: You are one of Pets best gardeners in my books!!!

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Oy! 14+! I just planted some anise hyssop this year ... for the lovely aroma :o Have I just introduced a monster into my well garden? :eek:

:laughing:

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks Hazel!! I find it funny how you always claim to be a bad gardener, but here you are with all the know how and recently- the pics to prove yourself wrong! :laughing: You are one of Pets best gardeners in my books!!!
No...that's from the Biology training. :o I can identify quite a few...growing them I can't do unless they really, truly want to cooperate! :laughing:

14+kitties
June 29th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks 14+K! So you think the possible "rhubarb" is a weed? haha shows how much I know!
It's raining now so I will have to wait to check on the ones mixed in with the lilies- they are in there thick!
Any tools/ advice on how to rip out tough weeds??

I think it's a plantain weed. Actually, if you have an ingrown toenail that is infected the old wives tale says to take one of the leaves, boil it, and wrap it around the toe. For some reason every time I see that plant that is what I think of. My mom told me that when I was a kid.
I googled it to see if it looked like I remembered.
http://images.google.ca/images?gbv=2&hl=en&ei=EzpJSsWRLZOAtgPDhrUo&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=Plantain+weed&spell=1

I love the garden claw! It turns soil pretty easily and can take out quite a few weeds at a time. Of course sometimes when you are pulling weeds you need plain old muscles and a shovel for the ones with really deep roots.

mollywog
June 29th, 2009, 06:09 PM
a ha! I think you are right about the Plantain 14+. from now on I will always associate it with ingrown toenails! :yuck:

14+kitties
June 29th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Oy! 14+! I just planted some anise hyssop this year ... for the lovely aroma :o Have I just introduced a monster into my well garden? :eek:

:laughing:

No hazel. Anise hyssop is an entirely different plant. There are tons of cultivars for hyssop. I have agastache in my gardens. I love it! Most people hate it. Just love the smell. Very earthy, smoky smell.
The one I'm talking about being hard to get rid of is this one......

http://www.familyherbalremedies.com/hyssop.html

It sets root really deeply and travels underground. At least in my gardens it does. :frustrated: It's great in a spot you want something in but you don't want to worry about it.

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I've never seen that one before, 14+. Whew! So I should be safe with my licorice-smelling hyssup! :goodvibes:

14+kitties
June 29th, 2009, 06:26 PM
a ha! I think you are right about the Plantain 14+. from now on I will always associate it with ingrown toenails! :yuck:

:laughing::laughing: :o Sorry. But if you ever have an ingrown toenail you know what to look for now!! :thumbs up

I've never seen that one before, 14+. Whew! So I should be safe with my licorice-smelling hyssup! :goodvibes:

Yep. I, on the other hand..... :sad:

CearaQC
June 29th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I love your wild flower field thing going on there! If they complain that it's an "eyesore" tell them you are into conservation and the meadow is to feed bees and rare butterflies! :laughing: Then after everything has bloomed and seeded, get a weed whacker and mow it down. That's how they maintain wild flower meadows anyway.

mollywog
June 29th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I love your wild flower field thing going on there! If they complain that it's an "eyesore" tell them you are into conservation and the meadow is to feed bees and rare butterflies! :laughing: Then after everything has bloomed and seeded, get a weed whacker and mow it down. That's how they maintain wild flower meadows anyway.

Good idea Ceara... I will push it and see how long I can let it grow before I get a "warning"!! :cool:

Tundra_Queen
June 30th, 2009, 01:15 AM
One I think is Phlox, and the reddish little flowered ones are what are called Indian Paintbrush I believe.

Debbie

mollywog
July 4th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks for all the expertise, guys! :thumbs up
I have a few more for ya to solve!! :D
1, 2 same plant... any ideas??
3 is this little patch of grass a part of the flower? Sorry its blurry, almost looks like a tiny poppy!

mollywog
July 4th, 2009, 10:57 AM
a few more...
1. The Tiger Lily is getting bigger! When it blooms it is going to be spectacular!!!
2. little Mr.Bug on the Tiger Lily bud
3. Is this a Tiger Lily too? Or maybe a Day Lily? :confused:

14+kitties
July 4th, 2009, 11:00 AM
First two look like Dianthus or Carnation. Third looks like thrift. The first one is about to bloom. When it does take a pic of the flower please. :D The thrift looks like it is about to bloom too. It should have a very pretty pink flower on it. Thrifts do not like to be too wet. You can almost ignore them and they do their best. :thumbs up

mollywog
July 4th, 2009, 11:00 AM
1. I relocated my hummingbird feeder to a pine tree after seeing Hazel's pictures, but haven't seen one bird yet. Mysteriously, the food seems to be going... could it be due to this visitor!?!?
2. All the purple asters are opening up, I love the colours!
3. this vine is aggressive!!! It looks like a tree, but it's actually a vine covering an old laundry line pole. We are going to have the whole thing PTS very soon :p :rip:

mollywog
July 4th, 2009, 11:01 AM
and finally... a silly Molly sequence, she is obsessed with the hose and pretty much wants to kill it! :eek:
I don't play this game very often, she gets to obsessed, but I had to get some pics!

mollywog
July 4th, 2009, 11:05 AM
First two look like Dianthus or Carnation. Third looks like thrift. The first one is about to bloom. When it does take a pic of the flower please. :D The thrift looks like it is about to bloom too. It should have a very pretty pink flower on it. Thrifts do not like to be too wet. You can almost ignore them and they do their best. :thumbs up

You are right, that does look a lot like Carnation. I will be sure to take a pic for you! :) and I Googled Thrift, the grassy base is a give-away. Looks like a pretty little flower! Thanks!

Sylvie
July 4th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Oh Mollywog you are so lucky to have all those beautiful flowers. All I had when I moved in was weeds:yell:

Now thanks to all my friends I have lots of flowers. Winston keeps a steady stream of plants coming my way. :thumbs up She really does have a green thumb. Me, not so much. But I keep trying and have had some success in the last couple of years.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful plants with us.

Now Molly reminds me of my guys. Also, our first dog 30 years ago loved the hose the way Molly does. That is the reason I had my fist dog bite. One day DH had cut the grass, long before the mulchers were invented. My feet were covered in grass, so I got the hose and was hosing the grass off my feet. Need I say the rest:eek: She was going for the water not my foot. To this day I am very careful with hose around my guys as I have one that loves the hose and will do anything to get to it. :laughing:

Winston
July 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Mollywog I finally looked in the garden and the purple flower is called Fleabane..thats what my tag on it says anyway...looks just like yours! if you google it you will see similiar pics!

Awe Molly loving the hose! she is too cute!

mollywog
July 4th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Mollywog I finally looked in the garden and the purple flower is called Fleabane..thats what my tag on it says anyway...looks just like yours! if you google it you will see similiar pics!

Are you sure it's not Purple Aster? I Googled Fleabane and the petals look too delicate....

CearaQC
July 4th, 2009, 11:45 AM
What is that monster vine? :laughing:

Molly looks like she's having fun with the water.

One lily that has a dark center on the top of the bud will either be red or orange and the lighter color one could be almost anything except the darker colors. It could be yellow, pink, white or bi color. Can't wait to see them bloom!

mollywog
July 4th, 2009, 11:50 AM
What is that monster vine? :laughing:

no idea... but we don't like it!!

Molly looks like she's having fun with the water.

One lily that has a dark center on the top of the bud will either be red or orange and the lighter color one could be almost anything except the darker colors. It could be yellow, pink, white or bi color. Can't wait to see them bloom!
Me too! Hopefully it doesn't happen when I am away on vacation! Do Lilies like to be watered often? Thanks for your knowledge!!
I am glad so many Pets members are avid gardeners! Should be called PetsGardens.ca :laughing:

CearaQC
July 4th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Looks to me it will be about a couple of weeks before they open.

Lilies appreciate water, to be sure, but they don't like to have their "feet" wet for an extended amount of time and prefer well drained sandy soil. They benefit from an annual application of fish and bone meal for bulb development but I've never fed mine regular plant nitrogen food and they seem happy.

Don't remove stalks at all until they turn yellow, as that's the food for next year's blooms. Other than that, dig them up every 3-4 years when they've become crowded and you'll have massive bulbs to separate (with lots of baby bulbs along the underground part of the stem and next to the bigger bulbs) and replant with a bit of bonemeal mixed in the planting hole.

This link below explains a lot with drawings. But you shouldn't have to mess with yours for a couple of years yet. :D

http://www.lilies.org/view-nals-articles/growing-from-seed/8-propagating-lilies.html

Oh and "true" Tiger lilies make little black knobbies all along the stem at the base of the leaves. If they don't have these bulbils, it's not a true tiger type and just a plain spotted type of Asiatic lily.

Hope this helps! Lilies are really carefree plants for the most part, as long as you don't get the dreaded Red Lily Beetle or a fungus infection called Botrytis (which is easily remedied just by ensuring proper air circulation).

http://www.beetle.lilies.org/

14+kitties
July 5th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I think your vine is a wild grape vine. They are actually grown here on purpose by some people to hide an ugly pole. If that's what it is and you want to get rid of it make sure you get all of the root or you will have it back again next year.

kara1
July 5th, 2009, 11:21 AM
the one with the leaves with the sand on aren't they strawberries

mollywog
July 5th, 2009, 12:27 PM
the one with the leaves with the sand on aren't they strawberries

no, the leaves are quite large, too big to be strawberry. I am almost certain it is Lady's Mantle.

14+kitties
July 5th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I took a couple of pics of my Lady's Mantle this morning. The first one is a baby that has of course come up where it isn't supposed to. :frustrated: I will transplant it to a different area I am working on.
This is part of my big one. The rain this week has flattened it and the Yarrow that grew beside it :sad: but you can still see the leaf shape. It grows quite big. Mine probably covers an area of 2 feet square.
This one is a green Coral Bell. The leaf is quite a bit different from the Lady's Mantle. Hope this helps.

mollywog
July 5th, 2009, 12:39 PM
thanks so much 14+! I am quite certain it's Lady's Mantle, as the leaves aren't as "waxy" as the Coral Bell. Does your Lady's Mantle have flowers???

mollywog
July 5th, 2009, 12:40 PM
oh wait... :loser: I didn't realize, are those yellow flowers attached to your Lady's Mantle??

14+kitties
July 5th, 2009, 12:43 PM
oh wait... :loser: I didn't realize, are those yellow flowers attached to your Lady's Mantle??

Yep. Lady's Mantle isn't grown for it's gorgeous flower as you can see. It's grown for the wonderful leaf and it's mounding habit and colour. It's pretty neat. Make sure once the flowers start going to seed you cut them back or you will be like me and have them popping all over the place. :rolleyes:

14+kitties
July 5th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Mollywog - Was doing some checking in my books for the purple flower. Closest I got was the Michaelmas Daisy.
Check them out and see what you think......

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=Michaelmas+daisies&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=

Winston
July 5th, 2009, 11:17 PM
It may even be a fleabane.....???

14+kitties
July 5th, 2009, 11:35 PM
It may even be a fleabane.....???

I wondered at that myself Winston. But when you put the pics together the fleabane's petals are not as thick as the one mollywog has.
The wonders of nature. Always fooling us.
The best thing you can do mollywog is to take your picture to a nursery/flower center in your area. I am sure they will be able to tell you what it is. I took another look at the Michaelmas and now I am not sure at all.
Mollywog's flower
Fleabane

mollywog
July 6th, 2009, 09:21 AM
thanks for your investigative skills, 14+!! It's amazing how similar some flowers can be yet there are so many types. I guess they are kind of like dogs that way! :dog:
I Googled Purple Aster again, and although the petals are the same, the yellow 'centre' is different (sorry- don't know the proper terminology!)
I will ask my mom- she is some what of an expert when it comes to gardening! :thumbs up

clm
July 6th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I love that wild meadow pic. The red plant there looks like devils paintbrush. A plant I haven't seen since my parents sold their cottage. I would keep that as a wildflower meadow and like someone else said, just cut it once it stops flowering. No reason why you can't just mow it or use a weed whacker once the flowers have stopped. It's too pretty to cut now.

Cindy

mollywog
July 7th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I love that wild meadow pic. The red plant there looks like devils paintbrush. A plant I haven't seen since my parents sold their cottage. I would keep that as a wildflower meadow and like someone else said, just cut it once it stops flowering. No reason why you can't just mow it or use a weed whacker once the flowers have stopped. It's too pretty to cut now.

Cindy

DH mowed it down the other night! :eek: oh well...

there is one more mystery plant that I know the garden sleuths here can solve!
what do you think it is??

And as for the Ladys Mantle- it looks like it is just starting to bloom (we are slow up here!)

And lastly- the Purple Astrid :confused: is really blooming- such a pretty deep purple colour!

chico2
July 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I have a huge Ladys Mantle(did not know what it was,as usual:laughing:)it's just about to bloom.
The first one,looks a bit like a Bee-Balm,but of course I could be wrong.
I don't know half of what I have..and I've been gardening for years,as long as they are pretty that's ok with me.:laughing:

mollywog
July 7th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I have a huge Ladys Mantle(did not know what it was,as usual:laughing:)it's just about to bloom.
The first one,looks a bit like a Bee-Balm,but of course I could be wrong.
I don't know half of what I have..and I've been gardening for years,as long as they are pretty that's ok with me.:laughing:

I love your attitude! :D That's pretty much how I work as a gardener too! :thumbs up
I only know it's a Ladys Mantle because of 14+ and other gardeners on Pets!

hazelrunpack
July 7th, 2009, 10:14 PM
That first one looks a bit like a bee balm to me, too, mollywog. I've been trying to get some started in the hummingbird garden but it kept rotting out (too wet and shady in there). So this year, I planted some in the well garden. A few days after I planted it, I was clearing another section of well garden out (it's been terribly neglected :o) and came across some wild bee balm (or perhaps purple bergamot):

So after all this time, it turns out I had exactly what I wanted after all! It was just hidden in the weeds. :D

CearaQC
July 7th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Hazel please post a pic for me of that when it's blooming. I've never seen a wild one and with that kind of coloring in the leaves. ;)

I'm not sure mollywog if your mystery plant is a bee balm. It seems to have smooth leaves and all my bee balm has slightly fuzzy leaves. It also has a very distinctive perfumy scent when rubbed. Young leaves of the Monarda are supposed to be edible and good in salads or tea. I ate a leaf a couple of months ago and frankly it was like eating perfume, it was that strong. Probably an acquired taste. :laughing:

Hard to tell until it blooms. :shrug: But if it's not heavily scented, chances are it's not Mondarda (Bee Balm).

Keep us posted with new pics as your garden develops! :D

14+kitties
July 7th, 2009, 10:35 PM
There is a chance it may be a Rudbeckia. The leaf shape is about the same I think. It should be forming a bud at the top.
Bee Balm has a rounder, shorter leaf. But there are many cultivars of them too.
I guess the only way to find out is to wait till the flower blooms.

mollywog
July 7th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Thanks Hazel and Ceara, it's fun watching it bloom, and I don't even have many plants! I could only imagine how fun it is for you two and everyone else with big, full gardens! :)
The Bee Balm type plant is actually kinda furry and sticky, even though you can't tell in the picture. I will have to go out there and give it a good sniff then get back to you! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
July 7th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Check the stems, too, mollywog. Mondarda has squarish stems...but then the whole mint family has squarish stems. :D

I'll try to remember to post when it's fully blown, Ceara. I have another from today, but it's not much further along.

chico2
July 8th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Mollywog,I still get excited watching my flowers bud and bloom,check their progress every morning,like a kid in a Toy-Store:laughing:
I did not know the Bee-Balm attracts Hummers,but I don't have any Hummers:sad:
Hopefully we'll see some Butterflies soon at least,all I've seen so far is a Yellow Swallowtail and a few little yellow/white butterflies:sad:
I'll get really excited when I see my first Monarch,maybe the below normal temps is what keeping Bees and Butterflies away,or maybe it's too early:confused:
Hazel,that wild flower,whatever it is,looks beautiful!

Chris21711
July 8th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Exciting eh Mollywog, you remind me of me when we moved into our first house, just moseying around discovering the different plants growing with no idea what they were............I still don't know half of them :o

Oh and "true" Tiger lilies make little black knobbies all along the stem at the base of the leaves. If they don't have these bulbils, it's not a true tiger type and just a plain spotted type of Asiatic lily.

I have oodles of orange Tiger Lillies, those little bulblets take root all over the place, unfortunately I have to pull a lot of them out :yell:

Hope this helps! Lilies are really carefree plants for the most part, as long as you don't get the dreaded Red Lily Beetle or a fungus infection called Botrytis (which is easily remedied just by ensuring proper air circulation)

That little buggar is my bane, some years they are really bad, this year at the beginning of the so called summer we are having I squished lots, but for the last few weeks I haven't seen one :shrug: thank dawg

http://www.beetle.lilies.org/

:offtopic: CearaQC - when are you gonna post pics :D

14+kitties
July 8th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Ok so, the mighty gardener has been made to feel foolish! I went out to my gardens this morning and checked my Bee Balm (monarda). Of course it's leaves are nothing like the one I showed in your thread last night. :o They look pretty close to yours.
Maybe this will help you decide what yours are. Mine are pink. There are also reds.

CearaQC
July 8th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Check the stems, too, mollywog. Mondarda has squarish stems...but then the whole mint family has squarish stems. :D

I'll try to remember to post when it's fully blown, Ceara. I have another from today, but it's not much further along.

Yay I can't wait Hazel! I'll bug you in a week. :laughing::laughing:

Yes I've noticed that many of the most useful plants have square stems. There's Nettles, Ground Ivy (that purple flower ground cover and lawn "weed" which was once used to flavor beer before hops came along and is high in Vit C), Mint and Monarda.

:offtopic: CearaQC - when are you gonna post pics :D

When I have more blooms. :laughing: We had a solid two weeks of rain with almost no sun so everything was held back. All there is to bloom from now until fall is the rest of the Siberian Iris, Lilies, Daylilies, Monarda and Echinacea. The amount of different species of flowers is really small in my garden and there are many gaps of time where there are no blooms. Majority of blooms are in later July and throughout August. Am trying to get some new ones, mostly in blue. Hoping that the new Blue Flax seeds I started this spring take off, and the Nora Barlow Columbine from seed (free from trades). I also purchased a 2 inch pot of dark blue Delphinium in late May but it doesn't look as if it will bloom this year. I need serious help in garden design and plant placement. I want an English style cottage garden with the beds chock full of plants, blooming from spring til fall.

I'd love some of those tiger bulbils! Always wanted to play with the bulbils because I like learning how plants propagate.

Chris21711
July 8th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Yay I can't wait Hazel! I'll bug you in a week. :laughing::laughing:

Me too, I'm curious about that one :confused:.

Hoping that the new Blue Flax seeds I started this spring take off, and the Nora Barlow Columbine from seed (free from trades)

I have a really dark blue one, I gave one to 14k when I was there a couple of weeks ago, I can send more seed to you if you need more.......I don't know if it is a Nora Barlow though.

I need serious help in garden design and plant placement. I want an English style cottage garden with the beds chock full of plants, blooming from spring til fall.

Me too, trouble is I have a lot of shade :frustrated:

I'd love some of those tiger bulbils! Always wanted to play with the bulbils because I like learning how plants propagate.

How many hundreds do you want :laughing:....the bulbils drop on the ground and root themselves...just pm me your addy and I'll send some...also I remember reading last year you wanted Orange Echinea, do you still? I'm waiting for mine to flower now

SORRY TO HI-JACK MOLLYWOG :o

CearaQC
July 8th, 2009, 12:04 PM
How many hundreds do you want :laughing:....the bulbils drop on the ground and root themselves...just pm me your addy and I'll send some...also I remember reading last year you wanted Orange Echinea, do you still? I'm waiting for mine to flower now

SORRY TO HI-JACK MOLLYWOG :o

Oh yes any orange, yellow or red Echinacea. *drool* I already have two types of the purple (Magnus and plain), and one white. Thought it would look nice in a rainbow array of many colors. I'm not sure their seeds come true to type though. It's worth trying in any case!

The Nora Barlow is a large showy double flowered pink or purple variety of Columbine.

Blue Flax looks like it has ferny foliage with dainty flowers. My sad little plant is only about 4 inches tall right now. Have to keep an eye on hubby so that he doesn't think it's a weed and yanks it. You wouldn't believe what he yanked this year. I planted new seedlings of hot peppers in a bare spot and he comes along and yanks one thinking it was a weed and said it looked like the bind weed. How he got that notion I'll never know! :laughing:

I tried getting some Love-in-a-Mist (Nigella) going from seed but that never panned out.:sad:

Anyway once all my other stuff starts to take off and I post pics, feel free to pick and choose. I'm more than happy to trade.

:offtopic::sorry: I feel so bad for hijacking!

Actually I have an idea, will make a new post in the garden section about trading.

Chris21711
July 8th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Oh yes any orange, yellow or red Echinacea. *drool* I already have two types of the purple (Magnus and plain), and one white. Thought it would look nice in a rainbow array of many colors. I'm not sure their seeds come true to type though. It's worth trying in any case!

I have some of the pink ones that seeded themselves.

The Nora Barlow is a large showy double flowered pink or purple variety of Columbine.

Mine are not double.

I planted new seedlings of hot peppers in a bare spot and he comes along and yanks one thinking it was a weed and said it looked like the bind weed. How he got that notion I'll never know! :laughing:

Mine is not allowed to touch NOTHING :D

I tried getting some Love-in-a-Mist (Nigella) going from seed but that never panned out.:sad:

I love those :lovestruck:

Actually I have an idea, will make a new post in the garden section about trading.

GOOD IDEA - Once again Mollywog :sorry:

mollywog
July 8th, 2009, 10:29 PM
:laughing: it's ok- hijack away! Its all plant-related anyways- I am learning something new about gardening every day thanks to you guys! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
July 8th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I walked out to the road this morning and the dogbane was blooming. :cloud9: If that's what you have, mollywog, the flowers look like this:

They come off the ends of the stems like this (Ignore the maple leaf on the left in front of the blooms. The flowers belong to the leaves on the right, which come off the stem opposite to each other...)

The flowers are really quite small--maybe a quarter inch or so across...less than half an inch for sure...

mollywog
July 15th, 2009, 08:16 PM
ok- update with some new pics..
hopefully this one isn't too big- lets give it a try...
Lady's Mantle just starting to bloom (everything is slow up here in the North!)

mollywog
July 15th, 2009, 08:20 PM
ok- it seems to have worked (hopefully it works for you, Hazel!) :thumbs up

It turns out I do have real Tiger Lilies! I came home from my weekend away to find these bulbils at the stem! Might be a few more weeks before they bloom though.

In the meantime, these pretty lilies are starting to bloom- the one stalk has 11 blooms on it! :eek:

mollywog
July 15th, 2009, 08:22 PM
and last 3 pics...
The Thrift is finally blooming, tiny delicate white blooms
The purple Asters seem to have taken on a deeper hue.. so pretty
and my sunflower seeds I planted last week are doing well! Hopefully I will see blooms before the first frost :pray: (I planted them kinda late

mollywog
July 15th, 2009, 08:23 PM
yikes. Those last 3 pics were kinda huge, weren't they!? Sorry.. but too lazy to fix it.. gotta go make dinner ! :o

CearaQC
July 15th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Yay for Tiger Lilies!

Your other lily I think may not be very far removed from a species type.

Lovely!

mollywog
July 15th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Yay for Tiger Lilies!

Your other lily I think may not be very far removed from a species type.

Lovely!

Thanks Ceara. I like the lilies because they are sooo easy- all I had to do was show up! :laughing:
These ones that are already blooming don't have any of those bulbils on the stems. It will be interesting to compare the petals once the "real" Tiger Lilies bloom.
If you cut a lily for an indoor flower arrangement, will it continue to bloom? Or should I wait until its fully bloomed to cut it? I would love to enjoy them inside as well as out, seeing as I have so many of them!

mollywog
July 15th, 2009, 10:12 PM
ok- just a few more pics! They should be not so big this time...
First off- My mom bought me two of these perennials to plant in my flower beds. This one and a light pink one. The name escapes me right now but they do grow to be quite tall. The colours remind me of watercolour paint, I love them!
Next, a herb container that my mom planted for me- cute, eh?
And last, Molly, being such a good girl practicing stay at the front door!! (with a new welcome mat!) :cloud9:
ok that's it, I swear! :laughing:

hazelrunpack
July 15th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Great close-ups, mollywog! :thumbs up Thrift is so pretty...and those lilies are spectacular! I love your "watercolor" plant, too. :cloud9:

Molly is looking very well-behaved there. She must practice quite a lot to get the 'stay' things so well. :D The Pack is mightily impressed. :dog: Plus they think she's such a pretty girl :flirt:

chico2
July 16th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Molly,I've never seen Lily-buds like that,on the stem,are they wild lillies???

The water-coloured ones are very pretty.
Love your Welcome mat and pretty Molly,what a good girl:lovestruck:

mollywog
July 16th, 2009, 08:30 AM

The water-coloured ones are very pretty.
Love your Welcome mat and pretty Molly,what a good girl:lovestruck:

They could be wild lilies, like I said, I just showed up and they were here!!! The gardens haven't been looked after for years, so they could either be wild or old/ overgrown/ crossbred?? I can't wait for the tiger lilies to open up!

Yes, Molly was on her best behaviour when I snapped that pic. Shes really good at not bolting out open doors- thank Dog! Otherwise I would never be able to keep up with her!! Shes sooo fast! :eek:

mollywog
July 16th, 2009, 08:35 AM
oh, Chico, do you mean the little dark bulbils at the base of each leaf? Apparently those are where you would propegate new lilies from, and they are the sign of a "true" tiger lily!
(CearaQC informed me of this! http://www.lilies.org/view-nals-articles/growing-from-seed/8-propagating-lilies.html )

CearaQC
July 16th, 2009, 11:04 AM
If you cut a lily for an indoor flower arrangement, will it continue to bloom? Or should I wait until its fully bloomed to cut it? I would love to enjoy them inside as well as out, seeing as I have so many of them!

Yes it will. But for the sake of the bulb and next year's blooms, don't cut more than half the stalk. Leave the rest of the foliage to "feed" the bulb.

And you might want to cut out the stamens before you take it indoors. Lily pollen is hard to get off clothes. :laughing:

oh, Chico, do you mean the little dark bulbils at the base of each leaf? Apparently those are where you would propegate new lilies from, and they are the sign of a "true" tiger lily!
(CearaQC informed me of this! http://www.lilies.org/view-nals-articles/growing-from-seed/8-propagating-lilies.html )

Yes those are stem bulbils. There are a few kinds of lilies that produce them, not always tiger. :D

I have a plain yellow lily that likes to make underground runners instead of bulbils. The native Canadian Lily called Lilium canadense also makes underground runners. But I don't have any of those. Wish I did!

Stem bulbils are basically a natural cloning system, just like the bulb scale clones (bulb scale clones help when critters eat the bulbs and leave little bits behind and each scale can produce up to 5 baby bulbs). Each should be true to the parent type. Lilies are amazing plants.

When the stem bulblets are nice and plump and black, you can pull them off. Put into a plastic zip bag with a bit of slightly damp peat moss or potting soil. You can put these in the fridge until you can share them with others, or share right away. Being in the fridge for a few weeks won't hurt them at all and kind of simulates being outside in late autumn.

When they finally send up a leaf, it looks almost just like grass. Three years usually to get to blooming size.

The lily that I was thinking not far removed from a wild species type, is the one with lots of space between the petals. Maybe write to the North American Lily Society and see if they can ID it for you. That's a keeper and I wouldn't mind a couple of bulb scales from that one!

I'll take a pic of what baby bulbs look like on scales for you. I have a large freezer bag full of them! IMO, it's a super quick way to get tons of new ones and it's so easy. (The ones in the bag were "unfortunate" bulbs that got "accidentally" sliced up when I was digging up rouge maple tree seedlings. So I didn't want to waste them, tore the scales off and put into the bag. Voila! Two months later, nice sized baby bulbs to plant out.)

mollywog
July 16th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Turns out I was wrong- I am pretty sure they ARE Wild Tiger Lilies now! I was out for a walk in the bush this morning and came across the exact same plant, with the little bulbils!!

CearaQC
July 16th, 2009, 11:30 AM
You found some wild? Gimme gimme gimme *drool*

:laughing::laughing:

mollywog
July 16th, 2009, 11:32 AM
You found some wild? Gimme gimme gimme *drool*

:laughing::laughing:

Ceara, if I knew how, I could mail you some "seeds"- do you know how I would go about doing that????

CearaQC
July 16th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Seeds not really good for lilies, in my opinion. I never had luck with them. Baby bulbs, scale cloning or bulbils is the best way to go, guaranteed a new plant that's identical to the parent. Lily seeds don't always have a viable embryo inside.

The bulbils in a tiny sandwich bag with a little potting soil/peat moss/vermiculite/perlite, OR gently move away soil from the bulb and rip off whole pieces of scales. The scales have to be whole, including the little bit that's part of the root area (basal plate). A bulb the size of your palm will safely endure about 10 scales removed, but any more may cause it to not bloom the next season.

Near the bottom of this link is a photo that shows.

http://www.mikesbackyardgarden.org/lilyprop.html

It also has photos of the bulbils too if you're interested.

mollywog
July 16th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Seeds not really good for lilies, in my opinion. I never had luck with them. Baby bulbs, scale cloning or bulbils is the best way to go, guaranteed a new plant that's identical to the parent. Lily seeds don't always have a viable embryo inside.

The bulbils in a tiny sandwich bag with a little potting soil/peat moss/vermiculite/perlite, OR gently move away soil from the bulb and rip off whole pieces of scales. The scales have to be whole, including the little bit that's part of the root area (basal plate). A bulb the size of your palm will safely endure about 10 scales removed, but any more may cause it to not bloom the next season.

Near the bottom of this link is a photo that shows.

http://www.mikesbackyardgarden.org/lilyprop.html

It also has photos of the bulbils too if you're interested.

ok... could I send you bulbils in soil in a ziplock? Is that allowed, by Canada Post? Maybe we could do a little trade???

CearaQC
July 16th, 2009, 11:51 AM
ok... could I send you bulbils in soil in a ziplock? Is that allowed, by Canada Post? Maybe we could do a little trade???

Yes and yes. :laughing: Just needs a bubble envelope. Probably only $1.15 in postage.

mollywog
July 16th, 2009, 12:06 PM
deal! PM me your address, what about your Siberian Iris, are they ok to send?? (sorry- i am totally new at gardening!)

mollywog
July 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I aksed my mom, and the "watercolour" type perennials she bought me are called Delphinium. Mine are just wee ones but they grow to be quite tall. So pretty!
heres a google image I found of some mature ones...

hazelrunpack
July 16th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Oh, that's cool, mollywog! I've only ever seen blue delphiniums! Yours aren't the typical blue shades I'm familiar with!

CearaQC
July 16th, 2009, 06:35 PM
:eek: Beautiful!

I've been wanting Delphiniums for a long time. Tried to germinate seeds I got in trades for 2 years in a row and none germinated so I broke down and purchased a 2 inch pot this year of a dark royal blue but it's still teeny tiny.

Beware, slugs LOVE delphiniums and can probably clear a plant overnight. Set out beer traps. :laughing: I heard rumor that slugs don't like to cross copper but haven't tested that. The evil things poked holes all in my cabbage too. Lee Valley Tools in Canada sells some neat copper "slug-repellent tape" and flexible copper mesh.

Yes you can send flowers within Canada through the mail no problem. We live in Quebec. I've received live plants in the mail before from Richters Herbs and from trades in Canada no problem. I just need to know when they were sent and when they will arrive because our mailbox is over 1 km away and we don't go get the mail every day. Or if it has a signature requirement, the postman brings the parcel to the house.

Live plants outside of Canada is more tricky. More paperwork, fees, and customs has to examine plant material for bugs and diseases. Especially when shipping to islands.

I will host the trade this fall for the forum so you can send anything you want and I'll send you just as much stuff back. I don't work outside the home so I figured I could donate my time to do it for everyone.

mollywog
July 16th, 2009, 06:51 PM
thanks for all the info, Ceara. The seed trade will be fun!
I will have to be careful about slugs too! :eek: what does beer to do deter them?? :confused:

CearaQC
July 16th, 2009, 07:14 PM
thanks for all the info, Ceara. The seed trade will be fun!
I will have to be careful about slugs too! :eek: what does beer to do deter them?? :confused:

They LOVE beer. They will say oh yum beer, slime their way there and once in, drown and die happy. :laughing:

Take a plastic container like yogurt, or a glass jar, or whatever. Dig hole in dirt, put in container where the lip of the container is the same level as the soil. Serve the beer (1/3 to 1/2 bottle), then put a little "roof" over it, just a bit bigger than the container. Slugs like to be nice and cozy so the combo of the "shelter" plus the beer will kill a lot of slugs.

Hey I just found another option!

1 cup water, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon yeast, and save the beer for yourself. lol I'm going to try that now!

mollywog
July 16th, 2009, 07:20 PM
They LOVE beer. They will say oh yum beer, slime their way there and once in, drown and die happy. :laughing:

Take a plastic container like yogurt, or a glass jar, or whatever. Dig hole in dirt, put in container where the lip of the container is the same level as the soil. Serve the beer (1/3 to 1/2 bottle), then put a little "roof" over it, just a bit bigger than the container. Slugs like to be nice and cozy so the combo of the "shelter" plus the beer will kill a lot of slugs.

Hey I just found another option!

1 cup water, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon yeast, and save the beer for yourself. lol I'm going to try that now!

I VERY pro-beer conservation! Thanks for the "alternative" method! :laughing:

aslan
July 16th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Mollywog, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread for a sec, since Cearaq knows alot more than me about plants...Is it possible for a Daylily to cross with a rose, i have a very pale yellow rose, it's three years old, last year i planted a yellow and orange striped daylily behind it, this year two rose buds came out the pale yellow, and the rest are coming out with the orange stripe...Only other rose in that garden is my " Love" rose, petals are red inside, and white outside.:shrug:

oh oh and if you're a delphinium fan, do you like Gladeolas(sp?), i find their leaves are much more attractive. If so Mine are getting to the bulb splitting age. I have several different colors, when they bloom i'll post pics for you.

aslan
July 16th, 2009, 07:32 PM

do you or dh smoke by anychance, put a couple of cigarettes in a jug, or jar or some container and fill with warm water, let it steep into a tea substance, and pour around the plants. Wont hurt your plants and helps get rid of the slugs, also works on aphids and other evil little critters.

mollywog
July 16th, 2009, 07:55 PM
nope aslan... but I am sure we won't have to look too far for some butts... can you just imagine me walking down Main St peeling butts off the sidewalk, "It's for my slugs! The beer didn't work!" :crazy::laughing:

aslan
July 16th, 2009, 08:06 PM
nope aslan... but I am sure we won't have to look too far for some butts... can you just imagine me walking down Main St peeling butts off the sidewalk, "It's for my slugs! The beer didn't work!" :crazy::laughing:

personally i always needed a smoke when i was drinking beer, the slugs might too. jeesh...

CearaQC
July 16th, 2009, 08:08 PM

:laughing::laughing: Well I mixed some up and it's out now, with a little roof of plain cardboard creased in half, so it's straddling the container in the dirt. Will see if it captures anything in the morning.

Mollywog, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread for a sec, since Cearaq knows alot more than me about plants...Is it possible for a Daylily to cross with a rose, i have a very pale yellow rose, it's three years old, last year i planted a yellow and orange striped daylily behind it, this year two rose buds came out the pale yellow, and the rest are coming out with the orange stripe...Only other rose in that garden is my " Love" rose, petals are red inside, and white outside.:shrug:

First of all, pictures or it didn't happen! Just kidding.

I will vote no, that it isn't possible, because the rose and daylily belong to two different classifications. Was your rose a grafted type? Sometimes grafted roses can start to flower from the root part of the graft instead of the top that was added. That's the only thing I can think of right now.

But if someone knows more, I love to learn! Feel free to chime in. My "specialty" is really only Lilies. The rest, I only know a little bit about.

oh oh and if you're a delphinium fan, do you like Gladeolas(sp?), i find their leaves are much more attractive. If so Mine are getting to the bulb splitting age. I have several different colors, when they bloom i'll post pics for you.

Glads are nice, but I don't personally like them because I'd have to dig them up every year and store the corms somewhere.

do you or dh smoke by anychance, put a couple of cigarettes in a jug, or jar or some container and fill with warm water, let it steep into a tea substance, and pour around the plants. Wont hurt your plants and helps get rid of the slugs, also works on aphids and other evil little critters.

I didn't know the tobacco stuff would deter slugs. I wonder if the rhubarb leaf tea would work for them too?

aslan
July 16th, 2009, 08:14 PM
if my spouse shows up before it gets dark i'll take a pic. i knew they were seperate families, just very odd. No idea about the other tea. And nope rose isn't grafted wasn't even a hybrid. my other rose out front is a hybrid and it's behaving normally. silly things.

i've never pulled my glad bulbs, i cut them right back then seriously cover them with leaves and they are fine.

CearaQC
July 16th, 2009, 08:19 PM
i've never pulled my glad bulbs, i cut them right back then seriously cover them with leaves and they are fine.

Wow lucky!! You must have the hardy to zone 5 type? I did a web search on hardy gladiolus and it said zone 5 and only needed mulching, and no lifting! But I'm in zone 4. :sad:

Post pics!:D

chico2
July 17th, 2009, 08:06 AM
WOW,lots of info,thank's girls:thumbs up
Aslan,cannot wait for your pics,hurry up!!!

I see Glads everywhere lately(while walking Bailey)I never had any luck with them and storing bulbs over the winter,naaah,I always forget where I put them,:laughing:find them 3 yrs later.

Molly,I thought those little round thingys were buds:shrug:

I used beer for my slugs,but I like beer too much,so I'll try Aslans method.

I have a bigger problem with Earwigs and for them I put out pieces of garden-hose,they will go in there and in the morning I"rehome"them by flushing them out in my neighbors weedy backyard:evil:

You girls must all be young,I do not have the time or patience for seeds,usually I buy the plant and springbulbs,stick them in the ground and it works.

CearaQC
July 17th, 2009, 11:10 AM
WOW,lots of info,thank's girls:thumbs up
Aslan,cannot wait for your pics,hurry up!!!
I have a bigger problem with Earwigs and for them I put out pieces of garden-hose,they will go in there and in the morning I"rehome"them by flushing them out in my neighbors weedy backyard:evil:

You girls must all be young,I do not have the time or patience for seeds,usually I buy the plant and springbulbs,stick them in the ground and it works.

:D Seeds are fun. Watching a teeny tiny seed turn into a big plant is so fascinating to me. But they can be a royal pain, especially if a rare plant. Essential for most veggies. I didn't take any pics this spring but we had seed trays just about all over the house.:laughing:

I :laughing: at your earwig solution! Genius!:evil:

My bread yeast/sugar/water mix only caught two slugs, but they were BIG slugs. And we've been hand picking :yuck:for a while now.

mollywog
July 18th, 2009, 09:22 PM
any more luck with the slug traps? Luckily I don't have slugs (yet :yuck:) but I will file that one in my memory for future reference.
Its been rainy and cold here this past week so that hasn't been good for growing much, but my lilies are slowly opening up and I have added some to my kitchen .. they match the paint pretty well, eh!?
I was just visiting a friend (playdate for Molly with their dog in their fenced yard :cloud9:) and was checking out her gardens, she just bought the house last year and it came with a TON of perennials and she has offered to give me any I want! :thumbs up so I am gonna have to head over there soon and do a raid! :cool:
I want to give her something in return- I don't have much, but I was thinking of giving her a couple tiger lilies- can you just dig them up and transplant them or do you have to propegate the bulbils??

CearaQC
July 19th, 2009, 12:35 AM
any more luck with the slug traps? Luckily I don't have slugs (yet :yuck:) but I will file that one in my memory for future reference.
Its been rainy and cold here this past week so that hasn't been good for growing much, but my lilies are slowly opening up and I have added some to my kitchen .. they match the paint pretty well, eh!?
I was just visiting a friend (playdate for Molly with their dog in their fenced yard :cloud9:) and was checking out her gardens, she just bought the house last year and it came with a TON of perennials and she has offered to give me any I want! :thumbs up so I am gonna have to head over there soon and do a raid! :cool:
I want to give her something in return- I don't have much, but I was thinking of giving her a couple tiger lilies- can you just dig them up and transplant them or do you have to propegate the bulbils??

If you don't have a garden fork, buy the best you can. I had a cheap one and snapped it right off early this year and had to get another one. But once you get used to a fork you won't go back to a shovel.

Yes you can dig up the whole thing, just make sure you get way down there, about 10 inches deep for a mature bulb so you get the whole thing. Lilies have extra roots around soil level as well as the bulb. Don't do like hubby did and judge the distance wrong and only get the stalks and not the bulb!:laughing: But you might be better off waiting until blooming is finished. It's up to you. I've done it either way. But sometimes accidents happen when toting around one in bloom. :o

The flowers really match the kitchen. :D

I find most perennials transplant well "in the green" as long as you get enough root ball. The only things I found that don't transplant well are the ones with tap roots that look like carrots or parsnips. Those wild malva type flowers here had really big yellowish tap roots and not all survived the move. Sea Holly also has a tap root but I haven't found anyone that has any of that. I got seeds in a trade but they were all bum seeds and never germinated.

Hope that helps!

chico2
July 19th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Very pretty Mollywog,I always like to have flowers on my table,something my mom always had,if not from my garden,then I buy some.

I found my Lillies to be very tough,I've dug up and replanted many.

Tundra_Queen
July 20th, 2009, 01:37 AM
:eek: Beautiful!

I've been wanting Delphiniums for a long time. Tried to germinate seeds I got in trades for 2 years in a row and none germinated so I broke down and purchased a 2 inch pot this year of a dark royal blue but it's still teeny tiny.

I grew Delphiums from seeds many years ago. This may help u.

seeds need to be put into the freezer for 24 hours to break dormancy
germination in 20 days
cover seeds lightly

I eventually pulled mine out though cause they kept blowing over in every rain storm whether I had them tied or not.

Debbie

CearaQC
July 20th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I grew Delphiums from seeds many years ago. This may help u.

seeds need to be put into the freezer for 24 hours to break dormancy
germination in 20 days
cover seeds lightly

I eventually pulled mine out though cause they kept blowing over in every rain storm whether I had them tied or not.

Debbie

Yes I tried that. Actually I had enough seeds to attempt several different methods in early spring. None of them worked. I'm going to deal with basal plate cutting propagation from now on. But I will try another one and sow in the fall, leave outside and see what happens in the spring.

14+kitties
July 21st, 2009, 11:36 PM
Mollywog, was your mom able to identify your purple flower for you? If not, could it possibly be from a bulb? It's pretty easy to check if so. When they are finished flowering dig one up gently. Actually you can do it while they are flowering as long as you don't disturb the roots too much. That might help identifying it.