Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Some more stuff,Hostas etc...

chico2
June 29th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Here are a few of my Hostas,by next year,I have to split them,they are huge:yell:

chico2
June 29th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Some more,love the Astilbis...my Stella d'oro ..don't know what the reddish one is,it's over 5 feet tall?

chico2
June 29th, 2009, 04:32 PM
A couple of my Clematis and Shasta Daisies,I've got waaay too many Daisies..

chico2
June 29th, 2009, 04:34 PM
and the best flowers of all:laughing:2 baby-crows,Rocky and Vinnie..

breeze
June 29th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I love Daisy's they are just so simple and fresh looking..:lovestruck:

mollywog
June 29th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Your gardens are looking beautiful!! Hostas seem like really neat perennials- such pretty and unique looking leaves.
Those Clematis are beautiful... but then again I am a sucker for purple flowers!

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Your clematis are gorgeous! :flirt: So are the astilbe... I was going to try some astilbe in the hummingbird garden this year but chickened out. Are they easy to grow?

That tall reddish one is a real stunner! I've never seen anything like it before, but I love it!

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Forgot to say that I was sitting back admiring your crows and kitties, too, chico! :lovestruck:

CearaQC
June 29th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I envy your astilbe! Very beautiful.

Red flower is "Maltese Cross," a perennial, genus Lychnis.

Tundra_Queen
June 30th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Very pretty! U have pet crows too? Do they get along with the cats ok? :D

Debbie

chico2
June 30th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Ceara,you are a wealth of information,I often buy plants,then forget their names,thank's!

Hazel,the Astilbe is a very hardy plant,comes back bigger every year,I have 6 in different places,the prettiest one is just about to bloom,so go ahead,get some:thumbs up
I love the pink one in the picture,it almost looks like cotton-candy:laughing:

TQ,no the cats do not get along with the Crows:laughing:that pic is from my front-yard and the cats are never there,only the back-yard.
Those 2 are 2 out of 4 babies my Crows had this year and none of them are tame,they just come here for left-overs every day,but I love them:lovestruck:

Breeze,I dig up and move Daisies every year,the same with the Black-eyed Susans,there is just no killing them,not that I'd want too.

Chris21711
June 30th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Chico you are killing me this morning....yesterday afternoon we had a major hailstorm...my Hostas got shredded, a couple of them rather badly :yell: I have nine in total and they all got hit :frustrated:

Your Astilbes look great, I for some inane reason have no luck with them at all, I have one and it comes up every year, but is real puny :sad:

It is unreal how far ahead your garden is compared to around here....I guess I am going to have to move that bit south to get a decent garden :cool:

chico2
June 30th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Chris,so sorry about your Hostas:cry:
Hostas are about as tough as can be though,they'll be back.

Here we have sun,then a thunderstorm,then sun again...
We just went inside now,the cluods were black and it started pouring...the cats were the first ones in:laughing:

Quensville isn't that far away from here,is it,got to check the map..
EVERYTHING IS GROWING LIKE CRAZY,including the weeds,I just can't keep up anymore:yell:
My new Be-Balm is about 4 feet tall,I thought it would be a small bush,oh well:laughing:

Chris21711
June 30th, 2009, 11:04 AM
I know the Hostas will be ok Chico, but they look a royal mess right now, the shredded leaves will stay shredded all summer :yell:

The weather is suppose to be iffy all week, my planters in the front of the house, the flowers lost most of their petals and my tuber begonias in planters.......well, best I don't even talk about them, they WERE beautiful :sad:.....I'm going to the nursery today and will replace some of the plants, I can't bear looking at them ...ya' I know I'm a cry baby :laughing:

No Queensville is not that far, about an hour or so from you, I thought about you on my way to 14k's last week :)

CearaQC
June 30th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Chico the Bee Balm can get tall, but what I do is pinch off the top section once it gets as high as I want it. Then two more shoots come out in its place and provide more flowers. You can also root new plants from cuttings. So technically you can make it into a small bush if you want with extra blooms.

Last year I purchased a pink and purple type from Richters. When it blooms I'll post pics and see if you will want any seeds from them.

It will spread via runners just like mint and seed everywhere.

Love4himies
June 30th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Oh chico, your hostas are beautiful.

Breeze, I am with you on daisies.

I had hostas before I went away on vacation, but come back to them chewed down to the ground :yell: :frustrated:.

We have a momma deer with two tiny babies, guess they were hungry. They ate all my rosebuds too :sad:.

mafiaprincess
June 30th, 2009, 12:25 PM
What lovely flowers you have!

chico2
June 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Ceara,I love the Bee-Balm,had one before,but not as big as this one.
i bought it last year and it was puny,but this year,WOW it's big.:yell:
If anyone lived closer,by next spring,my garden is going to be severely cut down,Shasta Daisies,Hostas,Black-Eyed Susan and Purple Cone Flowers,will all be reduced,maybe 14+ will want some.
All my roses have aphids,lots of them this year,I've already sprayed several times(ECO-friendly insecticide )but they keep coming back:yell:
One thing I really love is my Butter-Fly bushes(Budlejas),them too are almost 5 feet tall,but that's ok,the more for the butter-flies.

chico2
June 30th, 2009, 03:58 PM
L4H,hungry little fawns would be welcome in my garden,lot's to eat:laughing:
Just for the pleasure of seeing them:lovestruck:

Love4himies
June 30th, 2009, 06:47 PM
L4H,hungry little fawns would be welcome in my garden,lot's to eat:laughing:
Just for the pleasure of seeing them:lovestruck:

They are always welcome in my yard (not so much to eat now :laughing:), even if I have to give up a manicured garden to see them (I have chicken wire around my precious Winnipeg Parks rose bush, which DH brought all the way back from Edmonton (Hole's)for me :lovestruck:) They were here first, it was me who invaded their territory.

Tundra_Queen
July 1st, 2009, 03:31 AM
I know the Hostas will be ok Chico, but they look a royal mess right now, the shredded leaves will stay shredded all summer :yell:

The weather is suppose to be iffy all week, my planters in the front of the house, the flowers lost most of their petals and my tuber begonias in planters.......well, best I don't even talk about them, they WERE beautiful :sad:.....I'm going to the nursery today and will replace some of the plants, I can't bear looking at them ...ya' I know I'm a cry baby :laughing:

No Queensville is not that far, about an hour or so from you, I thought about you on my way to 14k's last week :)

If u cut back one of the chewed leaves another should replace it. As more new ones grow, just cut off another of the damaged leaves and soon u will have a nice hosta again.

Debbie

Chris21711
July 1st, 2009, 09:52 AM
If u cut back one of the chewed leaves another should replace it. As more new ones grow, just cut off another of the damaged leaves and soon u will have a nice hosta again.

Debbie

Thanks for the advice TQ, one of them in particular when I do cut it back, it will vanish temporarily :frustrated:

I have two Hostas in pots that I bought a couple of years ago, I still haven't found a place to plant them, so I bury the pots each winter....this year they got severely zapped by frost, I cut them back and they were growing great and now the hailstorm :yell: